• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I've been following these boot forums for a while and while I'm somewhat comfortable with most of the terminology I wonder how many of the newer individuals and those that are casual viewers really understand what is being talked about here.

For example a while back I was talking about some new work ski's and the subject of what ski boots I wore to patrol in came up and one of our members mentioned cabrio boots. I honestly had to look up cabrio boots to know what they meant.

Since we have people here who know this subject inside and out I'm hoping someone or perhaps a collaboration of folks could put together the definitive list of terminology about boots and then it could be pinned to the top of this forum so the folks that have need of something like this could have easy access.

Believe it or not I'm still not positive about the term plug boots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It would be great to compile a full glossary of terms.

Cabrio: is a three peice design with an external tongue, examples: Fill Tilt, Dalbello Kryptons

Lets see if we can get members like @otto to contribute over the summer.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I am interested in discussing forward lean, what effect does more/less have and why can some skiers use a more upright stance than others.
Boot last, where is it measured?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Cuff, clog, cant, delta and zeppa, flex adjustments, walk releases, shimming and planing (+ merits re shimming bindings), tech fittings, routing, types of plastic, grinds v stretches v punches. DIN soles, WTR soles, rockered soles.

Plenty to go at

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Cuff, clog, cant, delta and zeppa, flex adjustments, walk releases, shimming and planing (+ merits re shimming bindings), tech fittings, routing, types of plastic, grinds v stretches v punches. DIN soles, WTR soles, rockered soles.

Plenty to go at
that's what I'm talking about...I remember on epic there was a pretty good primer about boots. I've some internet sleuthing and really haven't seen a "all inclusive list". I wonder, do any of you master boot fitters have one?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Boot last, where is it measured?

In Italy and Romania. At size 26 :D

(I am being slightly facetious, but the manifold point is
a) that the actual last practically never leaves the factory;
b) no one other than maybe Quality Control actually measures an internal dimension of a boot, everyone else makes assumptions based on what is labeled and on test fits
c) your question probably meant "To what dimensions of the clog does the labeled 'last' measurement actually refer to?"
d) all dimensions scale with labeled boot size
)

Last edited:

sjjohnston

Putting on skis
Skier
FWIW: across the wide part of the foot, just behind the toes.

But the point of the prior post seems accurate, at least to me: if you treat it as a real-world measurement, you're more likely to get into trouble than to avoid it. It's like flex numbers. If its smaller, the boot is narrower (or softer) and if its bigger, the boot is wider (or stiffer). At least with all other things being equal, including who made the boot. I guess there's some degree of translatability from brand-to-brand, but - as with flex numbers - I wouldn't rely on it, particularly not in preference to handling the actual object.

Sponsor

Staff online