• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Mounting position for Dynamic VR17 Skis

morevert

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,
I have a pair of VR17's that don't have a boot centerpoint mark identified. If I remember from the past right, some of the vintage ski's were mounted by taking the the Tip to Heel length, & dividing by two. Does anyone know how to find the boot centerpoint? I have a couple different years I want to remount to bring back the past

Attachments

• Dynamic VR17 Skis #1.jpg
    Dynamic VR17 Skis #1.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Dynamic VR17 Skis #2.jpg
    Dynamic VR17 Skis #2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 32

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What size are they?

Sethmasia

Putting on skis
Contributor
There were a number of ways to do this, all based on the idea that the head of the metatarsal (ball of the foot) should go on the center of the ski's contact length (the length of base in contact with the snow on a smooth surface).

Easiest way to approximate this is to put the ski on a flat surface and measure between the points where the edges rest on the surface. Divide in two to find the center of this line and mark it on the ski. The head of the metatarsal should sit at the widest part of the boot (the bulge on the big-toe side). On today's standard-sole boots, that's just about four inches behind the furthest-forward point of the boot toe flange, assuming a medium-size boot (250 to 275 approximately). If you want to get anal about it, use the average contact points. That is, press the ski flat on the table and mark the ends of the contact surfaces. Then let the ski return to full camber and mark the ends of the contact surface. Find halfway between the marks at shovel and tail, and measure that as the running surface.

There were simpler ways to estimate the location, based on half the chord length (straight line tip to tail) less 2.2 inches to locate the boot toe, but today's shorter skis have shorter tips and longer tails (relative to the contact points) so the old-school rules of thumb no longer apply.

In the case of your old VR17s (looks like 1977 or so), just assume that the toe unit is in the correct position and just adjust the heel -- you're bound to be within about a quarter inch. The skis will feel dead slow (ancient extruded P-tex) -- better tune and wax appropriately. Those Tyrolia bindings are probably from 1978. The engineering is good but I think you'll find they don't conform to the DIN adjustment scale -- they're probably marked 1-2-3-4 rather than 5-6-7-8-9. Most ski shops won't touch them. If you're going to ski them, replace that missing AFD, adjust the release in the middle of the scale and test the release function.

Dynamics from that era are fairly rare in the U.S., because the company was between national distributors. After Lange dropped Dynamic, they were imported for a few years by JP Jalifier in Aspen (his shop was L'Equipe), then by Frank Hurt in New Hampshire, until Volvo picked up the brand around 1979. The graphics changed dramatically then.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One thing about using the cord legnth method, if the boot size is by old standard 10.5 or larger you may want to move the toe mark forward by 1 - 1.5 CM depending on how much longer than 10.5 boot size. This mounting style was very common for SL skis of the older vintage, the photo of the ski with the larger graphics is newer than the other photo with the smaller graphics. Look next to the serial number of the ski with the larger graphics, if you see a triangle with the point facing up that may be center of boot. If there is a triangle maybe put up another photo of the sidewall. It would also be a check just to confirm any method you choose to mount the newer pair. The older skis probably will not have that type of mark.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ball of foot on the line if there is a line.. Probably under the AFD of those toe pieces..

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
What size are they?

LOL the ones on the left are 207. It's a picture of my undrilled VR17 probably from epicski. I have another pair of 207 same vintage with the original S505 mounts that fit my 305 BSL. The chord length method and running surface method of mounting are exactly the same. There are no factory mounting lines or marks.