• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot guru in salt lake city

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Gorsuch has that same technology that @Noodler mentions. Assume its in PC too. cool to see your foot scan in the various shells. Worked for me with Dano B. in CO. Id say that it does seem to recommend one size long tho. I went down one size (joint rec from bootfitter based upon my input and my bias to some fit tension). First time ive ever NOT had any shell work done, other than sole plane and canting. Its a tool in the box but not a replacement for a good fitter.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
That’s pretty wack to charge so much for work as I find most fitters to be pretty aggressive with the initial fit before the work. Just recently made the rounds of bootfitters in N Tahoe since my regular shop only had one shell this late in the season that would work for me and I just didn’t love the feel. All 3 other fitters were pretty much on the exact same page (as my normal fitter) about what I needed. Even now with everything on sale at 20-30%off map all of them still included the work and stood by getting the boot where It needs to be. Seems kinda shady to go full price then charge so much for work that is 100% neccissary.

That’s a pretty expensive lesson with a completely understood high frustration level
I’ve been trying all day to seek out a reputable shop in SLC or Park City who might have a decent amount of boot still in stock, as well as a fit guarantee. So far, the shops that I spoke with contradict their own websites when it comes to a “fit guarantee” so I won’t be in the same boat again if I put myself in their hands and things don’t work out. I’m keeping things very vague and saying that a couple other shops didn’t have the right boots in stock, and I want to see what other shops have. I guess I should stop being honest about things because the tone changes when I tell them the last boot didn’t work and all parties agreed to a return. Honesty isn’t always the best policy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been trying all day to seek out a reputable shop in SLC or Park City who might have a decent amount of boot still in stock, as well as a fit guarantee. So far, the shops that I spoke with contradict their own websites when it comes to a “fit guarantee” so I won’t be in the same boat again if I put myself in their hands and things don’t work out. I’m keeping things very vague and saying that a couple other shops didn’t have the right boots in stock, and I want to see what other shops have. I guess I should stop being honest about things because the tone changes when I tell them the last boot didn’t work and all parties agreed to a return. Honesty isn’t always the best policy.
What other boots were you put in by the other shops?

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
What other boots were you put in by the other shops?

First boot the fitter at Jans suggested was the Atomic Hawx Magna 130. I immediately felt it was a size too large in the shop, but they didn’t have the next size down. They then put me in the Tecnica Mach1 MV 120, which I also felt was a size too large, but they talked me into trying it on the mountain with the safety net that I could return it if I chose. It had a lot of slop, and there was no problem returning it. The shop didn’t have anything else they felt would work, so they suggested I go across the street to Cole Sport. They hear molded me into a Solomon S/Pro 120, which was the same size as the Mach1, but felt lower volume in the shop. Once skiing it, I realized it also was a size too large. When I returned it, a different boot fitter at Coles immediately felt that I should be a size smaller. Unfortunately they didn’t have the Solomon in the his suggested size. I tried on the Lange RX 130 in what I feel is now my correct size. I kind of regret not giving it a try since I think heat molding it would have made it a close match. At the time, my gut feeling was to try other boots. I then tried Sports Den, but their boot fitter didn’t feel they had a good boot for my foot. I then went to the Powder House where I believe I tried on the Rossignol Track 130(its possible it was a different Rossi boot). It felt very similar to its sister boot from Lange. Finally, I went to Sport Loft. I tried on the Fischer Ranger One 130 and the K2 Recon Pro 140. I went with the K2 as it felt like it had a tighter heel grip. Now I’m wondering if I should go back and try to find a shop that still carries the Lange. The fitting process was and how issues were handled was different, but every shop was very gracious with the returns. Hopefully I haven’t burned any bridges by returning the boots and mentioning it on this forum. I spoke with a boot fitter from shop from Park City via email today. After being open and honest about my experience and the issues I encountered, I was told by that person that they felt I was “demoing” boots, and that they don’t allow that at their shop. I told this person that I purchased those boots, and in the case of the K2’s, paid over $500 for insoles and work that was done without expectation of a refund. I then mentioned that they listed a fit guarantee on their website that stated that they make the boot fit or they take the boot back. I was told that isn’t the case, and it’s a you buy it, you keep it policy contrary to the website. I don’t want to name the shop at this point, but it’s a shop that is often mentioned on this forum for being one of the best in Park City. Hopefully I can find a shop who are able to find and fit the right boot for me, and back up their guarantee. I don’t want to make it appear that I’m a perpetually unhappy boot customer. In 36 years of skiing, prior to my experience this season, I only ever returned 1 ski boot, which was 12 years ago, and that boot fitter worked with me to find a better fitting boot. There was no you buy it, you keep it added to the second boot, and the fit of that boot was also guaranteed. Sorry my response was so long.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
First boot the fitter at Jans suggested was the Atomic Hawx Magna 130. I immediately felt it was a size too large in the shop, but they didn’t have the next size down. They then put me in the Tecnica Mach1 MV 120, which I also felt was a size too large, but they talked me into trying it on the mountain with the safety net that I could return it if I chose. It had a lot of slop, and there was no problem returning it. The shop didn’t have anything else they felt would work, so they suggested I go across the street to Cole Sport. They hear molded me into a Solomon S/Pro 120, which was the same size as the Mach1, but felt lower volume in the shop. Once skiing it, I realized it also was a size too large. When I returned it, a different boot fitter at Coles immediately felt that I should be a size smaller. Unfortunately they didn’t have the Solomon in the his suggested size. I tried on the Lange RX 130 in what I feel is now my correct size. I kind of regret not giving it a try since I think heat molding it would have made it a close match. At the time, my gut feeling was to try other boots. I then tried Sports Den, but their boot fitter didn’t feel they had a good boot for my foot. I then went to the Powder House where I believe I tried on the Rossignol Track 130(its possible it was a different Rossi boot). It felt very similar to its sister boot from Lange. Finally, I went to Sport Loft. I tried on the Fischer Ranger One 130 and the K2 Recon Pro 140. I went with the K2 as it felt like it had a tighter heel grip. Now I’m wondering if I should go back and try to find a shop that still carries the Lange. The fitting process was and how issues were handled was different, but every shop was very gracious with the returns. Hopefully I haven’t burned any bridges by returning the boots and mentioning it on this forum. I spoke with a boot fitter from shop from Park City via email today. After being open and honest about my experience and the issues I encountered, I was told by that person that they felt I was “demoing” boots, and that they don’t allow that at their shop. I told this person that I purchased those boots, and in the case of the K2’s, paid over $500 for insoles and work that was done without expectation of a refund. I then mentioned that they listed a fit guarantee on their website that stated that they make the boot fit or they take the boot back. I was told that isn’t the case, and it’s a you buy it, you keep it policy contrary to the website. I don’t want to name the shop at this point, but it’s a shop that is often mentioned on this forum for being one of the best in Park City. Hopefully I can find a shop who are able to find and fit the right boot for me, and back up their guarantee. I don’t want to make it appear that I’m a perpetually unhappy boot customer. In 36 years of skiing, prior to my experience this season, I only ever returned 1 ski boot, which was 12 years ago, and that boot fitter worked with me to find a better fitting boot. There was no you buy it, you keep it added to the second boot, and the fit of that boot was also guaranteed. Sorry my response was so long.
So, what size were the ones that were too big, and what size are the K2s that you returned?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Those Rossi Alltrack/speed boots fit a bit different than the Langes. At least the RS130s. The different mold and liner is more dense in the blue boots.

also walking into a shop is different than calling on the phone. At some point you are going to have to get comfortable with the people you are dealing with will solve your issue - it’s pretty easy to figure out the right size. did any of the shops you went to look at your foot, and shell fit it?

and this late in the season, yeah, nobody is going to have stock - I’d wait until Sept/Oct when everyone has stock and brands/models, but that just me.

you really need to just find a good boot fitter that you jive with - the boot is just plastic and can be manipulated by the human. <- this is easier said than done. I have one and if I lost my boots somehow, I’d be back on a plane - going to him.

Last edited:

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
So, what size were the ones that were too big, and what size are the K2s that you returned?
The first few boots were 28.5, but the K2’s and the Lange I tried on were 27.5.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Those Rossi Alltrack/speed boots fit a bit different than the Langes. At least the RS130s. The different mold and liner is more dense in the blue boots.

also walking into a shop is different than calling on the phone. At some point you are going to have to get comfortable with the people you are dealing with will solve your issue - it’s pretty easy to figure out the right size. did any of the shops you went to look at your foot, and shell fit it?

and this late in the season, yeah, nobody is going to have stock - I’d wait until Sept/Oct when everyone has stock and brands/models, but that just me.

you really need to just find a good boot fitter that you jive with - the boot is just plastic and can be manipulated by the human. <- this is easier said than done. I have one and if I lost my boots somehow, I’d be back on a plane - going to him.
All of the shops went through standard fit process(shell fit, foot measurements).

As mentioned, I could be wrong on the exact Rossi I tried on. The one I tried on was extremely similar to the Lange.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Without fear of contradiction, as a lifelong boot fitter, boot fit trainer/educator... I will give you the 2 most common factors in repeated boot fit fails...

1. If proper assessment of your foot shape and flexibility along with your strength, fitness, and ski technique and history was accomplished at any of the shops you tried, it would not matter what boot you ended up with. The number of failed attempts means that all of the shops have missed something functional with your foot size, shape, and mechanical function, or about how and where you ski. The fact that the only feedback you have received on this forum is different models, brands, sizes, and scanning, means that no one out here including you understand what’s going on with you.

2.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ( and you all can hate on me in future posts ) however by your own story, it sure seems to me that everywhere you go, there you are. With the number of attempts made at different shops and fitters that have failed, the only thing they have in common is you, your feet and your story while in their precense. If you have seen the Seinfeld episode where Uncle Leo, Elaine, and Kramer all got blacklisted on the “national dr’s database“ as being “troublemakers” Perhaps the National bootfitters database is preceding you in all the shops you have tried or called? Would you consider finding a fitter in a foreign country? And yes, I believe I am the funniest boot fitter ever!!!

In all seriousness, There is something else going on if all of the attempts to date have failed. Clues to look for to solve your conundrum: somewhere you mentioned your size and weight, this will factor into the stiffness choice. Also on the subject of flex, your ankle range of motion determines pressure to your forefoot, if your ankle range of motion is low or locked, this will have big effect on your forefoot. Do you have issues with early fatigue of your quads or hamstring muscles? Is and were any of the “custom” foot beds built taking into consideration your arch flexibility, arch height, and forefoot mechanics? To answer these questions and determine if they are effecting your outcome is where the best fitters play. Any ski shop can tell you what a boots materials are, what the volume numbers on the box are, etc. Only a handful of boot fitters have the assessment and problem solving skills for certain humans with hard to fit feet and mechanics. Along with the above thoughts, there may be issues specific to you around the nerve/blood flow pathways that cannot be explained by sizing, flex, or volume that is described by the boot supplier or the shop fitters. Once again there are very few great fitters that know how to swim upstream to find impingement on nerves and blood flow.
For the good boot shops you have visited and the money you have spent, IMHO you have clearly fallen through the cracks of legit boot fitting.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Without fear of contradiction, as a lifelong boot fitter, boot fit trainer/educator... I will give you the 2 most common factors in repeated boot fit fails...

1. If proper assessment of your foot shape and flexibility along with your strength, fitness, and ski technique and history was accomplished at any of the shops you tried, it would not matter what boot you ended up with. The number of failed attempts means that all of the shops have missed something functional with your foot size, shape, and mechanical function, or about how and where you ski. The fact that the only feedback you have received on this forum is different models, brands, sizes, and scanning, means that no one out here including you understand what’s going on with you.

2.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ( and you all can hate on me in future posts ) however by your own story, it sure seems to me that everywhere you go, there you are. With the number of attempts made at different shops and fitters that have failed, the only thing they have in common is you, your feet and your story while in their precense. If you have seen the Seinfeld episode where Uncle Leo, Elaine, and Kramer all got blacklisted on the “national dr’s database“ as being “troublemakers” Perhaps the National bootfitters database is preceding you in all the shops you have tried or called? Would you consider finding a fitter in a foreign country? And yes, I believe I am the funniest boot fitter ever!!!

In all seriousness, There is something else going on if all of the attempts to date have failed. Clues to look for to solve your conundrum: somewhere you mentioned your size and weight, this will factor into the stiffness choice. Also on the subject of flex, your ankle range of motion determines pressure to your forefoot, if your ankle range of motion is low or locked, this will have big effect on your forefoot. Do you have issues with early fatigue of your quads or hamstring muscles? Is and were any of the “custom” foot beds built taking into consideration your arch flexibility, arch height, and forefoot mechanics? To answer these questions and determine if they are effecting your outcome is where the best fitters play. Any ski shop can tell you what a boots materials are, what the volume numbers on the box are, etc. Only a handful of boot fitters have the assessment and problem solving skills for certain humans with hard to fit feet and mechanics. Along with the above thoughts, there may be issues specific to you around the nerve/blood flow pathways that cannot be explained by sizing, flex, or volume that is described by the boot supplier or the shop fitters. Once again there are very few great fitters that know how to swim upstream to find impingement on nerves and blood flow.
For the good boot shops you have visited and the money you have spent, IMHO you have clearly fallen through the cracks of legit boot fitting.
Thank you for the advice. I will likely cobble together what I can to make it through the rest of the season and wait until next season to try again. The plan, assuming there won’t be travel restrictions come the fall, will be to fly back to New York and visit my long time boot fitter.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I'm a bit late to the thread, but here's my $0.02.

@bailey35mm is not the original poster. That guy was one and done.

At what point did you consider a moldable liner such as Zipfit or Intuition? I may have missed this along the way, but don't recall seeing it mentioned. For a DIY kind of guy like me, that's typically the fallback to a pair of boots that have lost their mojo (or never had it in the first place).

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
I'm a bit late to the thread, but here's my $0.02.

@bailey35mm is not the original poster. That guy was one and done.

At what point did you consider a moldable liner such as Zipfit or Intuition? I may have missed this along the way, but don't recall seeing it mentioned. For a DIY kind of guy like me, that's typically the fallback to a pair of boots that have lost their mojo (or never had it in the first place).
Actually as a stopgap measure, I got my hands on a new Head liner for my existing boots to make it through this season.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been going through the long, arduous process of trying to find new boots this season. I’ve been through Jans and Coles in Park City, as well as Sports Den which all resulted in returned boots that were all a size too big.
I then tried Sports Den, but their boot fitter didn’t feel they had a good boot for my foot
I have been following this thread and wanted to ask if you purchased a boot from Sports Den and returned or if the boot fitter sent you away without putting you in something that wasn’t a good fit.
Reading your posts it seemed like you grouped them in with a couple shops in PC that sold you a boot too large only to read later they sent you away.
While I have experienced Sport Loft trying to jam me, I have had good experiences with Sports Den and think them sending you away is worth giving them credit for

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
I have been following this thread and wanted to ask if you purchased a boot from Sports Den and returned or if the boot fitter sent you away without putting you in something that wasn’t a good fit.
Reading your posts it seemed like you grouped them in with a couple shops in PC that sold you a boot too large only to read later they sent you away.
While I have experienced Sport Loft trying to jam me, I have had good experiences with Sports Den and think them sending you away is worth giving them credit for
I did mention earlier that Sports Den didn’t have a boot they recommend. The fitter I spoke with didn’t think he had anything that he would recommend that they had in stock in my size. I didn’t group them as anything other than a shop that I tried. I would have no issues stopping there again in the future boot wise and see what they have to offer. They did put the wrong(and cheaper) binding on a brand new pair of skis. I had asked for and paid for a Tyrolia Attack 13, but they mounted an Attack 11. I caught the error After I got home, and I returned later that day. Thankfully they had no problem admitting and correcting the issue as best they could and the mounting holes were the same. My only issue was a superficial one that had effect on ski-ability as I wanted a black binding, but my only choice was neon yellow in the 13. It seems to be a nice group of people, it just gets extremely busy at times so some people might feel ignored.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember seeing her with her new 130 boots in GMD at Alta one morning during 2014 gathering. @Uncle Louie and I looked at each other and quietly shook our heads. A 105 lb intermediate woman in a stiff over sized boot. Doesn't get more obvious that that. :nono:

Hey, @KingGrump, she’s
at hefty 115#, get it straight...

it was a costly mistake that she tries hard to forget. But sure hate for it to happen to anyone else and KingGrump and NearNyquist try hard to make sure she never forgets

She got into a much better fitting Lange Rx 110 LV @23.5 instead in SoCal in 2015 and just got another pair of them in Tahoe just a few months ago.

Hopefully she’s made some progress as an intermediate skier since, looking just a little bit more graceful skiing the full Mach Schnell and laps of Bookends Bowls...

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, @KingGrump, she’s
at hefty 115#, get it straight...

it was a costly mistake that she tries hard to forget. But sure hate for it to happen to anyone else and KingGrump and NearNyquist try hard to make sure she never forgets

She got into a much better fitting Lange Rx 110 LV @23.5 instead in SoCal in 2015 and just got another pair of them in Tahoe just a few months ago.

Hopefully she’s made some progress as an intermediate skier since, looking just a little bit more graceful skiing the full Mach Schnell and laps of Bookends Bowls...

I have found it is always safer (for my health) to be conservative when it comes to estimating the weight of a female member of our specie. I am rather fond of this "living" thing.

And yes, I believe your skiing has improved a bit since then. :ogcool:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have found it is always safer (for my health) to be conservative when it comes to estimating the weight of a female member of our specie. I am rather fond of this "living" thing.

And yes, I believe your skiing has improved a bit since then. :ogcool:

Mrs Grump married a smart man... same goes with being conservative with age.

@Near Nyquist recently noted that none of my improvement really counts until @KingGrump approves in person. :roflmao:

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
I did mention earlier that Sports Den didn’t have a boot they recommend. The fitter I spoke with didn’t think he had anything that he would recommend that they had in stock in my size.

I think a lot of these problems are because you are trying to find boots too late in the season. Sounds like all the shops you visited were out of stock in the size you needed. You should try again in the fall when stock is high. Right now, shops are busy ordering their inventory for next year, and most likely the manufacturers are out of stock in the size you need.

This time of year you can get good deals on price, IF YOU GET LUCKY AND FIND YOUR SIZE. Sounds like you would be much better served paying full price at a reputable shop when they have your size (or it is still available from the manufacturer).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This is why being an "armed" and educated consumer is always in your benefit. That's why I suggested the 3D scan system so that the OP has a much better idea of what boots should be in the candidate pool. Knowing your own foot and what will work best for it goes a long way with empowering your choices when making a boot buying decision. Doing the research and embarking on the self-discovery is half the fun for me in this sport. :)

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
I think a lot of these problems are because you are trying to find boots too late in the season. Sounds like all the shops you visited were out of stock in the size you needed. You should try again in the fall when stock is high. Right now, shops are busy ordering their inventory for next year, and most likely the manufacturers are out of stock in the size you need.

This time of year you can get good deals on price, IF YOU GET LUCKY AND FIND YOUR SIZE. Sounds like you would be much better served paying full price at a reputable shop when they have your size (or it is still available from the manufacturer).

This process started months ago actually. I just have a popular sized foot apparently.