• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot guru in salt lake city

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't want to make it sound like I'm bad mouthing the team at Sport Loft, as they seem like really nice people, but I was told retail was going to be $899 in the fall, which of course I now know is not true. $340 more for their custom insoles, and $200 for the shell stretches. If they were flawless on the mountain, I wouldn't care about the added cost, but they're not. I've been in the Head Vector line for 12 years prior to this season, with no major problems. I tried to buy a leftover Vector Evo RS in the same size as the other Head's, but they are much wider now than the older boot, and I was swimming in them. The Recon Pro's were so tight, I couldn't buckle them off the shelf, so they heated them and put me in the Fischer Vacuum machine so I could get them on. They felt good in the shop, and the left boot I could live with, but of course the real story is how they do on the mountain. But the right boot is a mess, and numbs me before I ride the first lift of the day. Everyone at the shop seem really knowledgeable and I am willing to give them a reasonable number of opportunities to remedy this. But when an entire season has gone down the drain, I become the little cranky New Yorker that I am. I'm going to see them tomorrow after work and hopefully they'll have another suggestion other than making them wider yet again as we are at the point of slop, pain and numbness. Thank you for your help.
Wow. I gues shops can charge what they want but they better stand behind thier work. Retail of the boot will probably be $899, "Map" or Street Price tends to be less and while I haven't seen the 2021 pricing, I am guessing that will be $699. I do not know of a shop, well I didn't before this one, that charges full Retail and then for punches on top of that price.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Wow. I gues shops can charge what they want but they better stand behind thier work. Retail of the boot will probably be $899, "Map" or Street Price tends to be less and while I haven't seen the 2021 pricing, I am guessing that will be $699. I do not know of a shop, well I didn't before this one, that charges full Retail and then for punches on top of that price.
I knew that any work on the boots would cost extra going in. I just hoped that the cost would equal the best fit possible. To be fair, that could always still happen after going back to the shop.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$340 for foot beds? Kind of rich. Unless you got something extra special.
$200 for shell stretches? If I paid retail for a pair of boots I would expect a fit guarantee and all the fitting work to be included.
I stopped at Sports Loft once and will leave it at that.
Brent at Park City Ski Boot made foot beds and shell work (112 wide right foot) for $295 for boots I hadn’t purchased from him.
I have since purchased boots from him and will continue to do so.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
It’s absolutely very expensive. But sometimes desperate times calls for desperate actions. 4 other highly regarded ski shops in SLC/PC didn’t work out and several boots were returned. My hope was to throw money at a problem to prevent a lost ski season. That has thus far not worked out as hoped.
To update on this. I decided to cut my losses on the K2 Recon Pro’s, and Sport Loft refunded me the cost of the boots themselves. It’s late in the season, but the search is back on for a bootfitter in the area who can identify the right boot for me, and of course have it in stock at this point, then correct any numbness and pain. So far this season, I’ve been through boots at Jans and Coles in Park City, as well Sports Den and Sport Loft here in Salt Lake.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To update on this. I decided to cut my losses on the K2 Recon Pro’s, and Sport Loft refunded me the cost of the boots themselves. It’s late in the season, but the search is back on for a bootfitter in the area who can identify the right boot for me, and of course have it in stock at this point, then correct any numbness and pain. So far this season, I’ve been through boots at Jans and Coles in Park City, as well Sports Den and Sport Loft here in Salt Lake.
Just the boots? I assume you kept the $340 footbeds but they didn't refund the $200 for punches?

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Just the boots? I assume you kept the $340 footbeds but they didn't refund the $200 for punches?
I wasn’t given the option to return the footbeds which hopefully will work with future boots, and I assumed I would have to eat the additional work charges. They suggested another $300 in work that may or may not make the boots work, but if we went forward with it, I could no longer return the boots if I was unsatisfied. With that, along with the suggestion that I was simply trying to “rent” from them, I felt that I wanted to move on. I hold no ill will toward Sport Loft, and I think they did their best, but we were racing toward $2000 for boots that just weren’t working for my feet. I’m apparently difficult to fit due to an average to wide forefoot, and a very narrow heel. So now I’m left with no boots and likely limited choices due to the late date in the season. I’ll keep searching for someone who has the ability/products in stock to help me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They suggested another $300 in work that may or may not make the boots work, but if we went forward with it, I could no longer return the boots if I was unsatisfied.
Whaaaat? Another $300? Wow, just wow. I am sorry...I have no problem with a shop charging FULL retail for a boot....IF they are going to stand behind it...because you are not buying a boot, you are buying a their experience and a "fit". Then to charge $200 on top for punches? No. Then possibly another $300??? Seriously? Then to suggest that you were just trying to "rent" the boot? I am sorry, they are showing a level of arrogance that I have never seen...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@bailey35mm - Just gonna throw this out there since you're obviously struggling with finding someone that understands your feet... since you live in a land of serious skiing, there has to be a shop with the Fischer 3D foot scan system. This is an interesting solution to at least get you in the ballpark of a boot or two that best matches the true anatomy of your feet. When I used it, the system basically validated what I had already figured out through a ton of trial and error. I think it's worth a shot at this point so that you know where to look.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Whaaaat? Another $300? Wow, just wow. I am sorry...I have no problem with a shop charging FULL retail for a boot....IF they are going to stand behind it...because you are not buying a boot, you are buying a their experience and a "fit". Then to charge $200 on top for punches? No. Then possibly another $300??? Seriously? Then to suggest that you were just trying to "rent" the boot? I am sorry, they are showing a level of arrogance that I have never seen...
It’s an expensive lesson learned. The bootfitter that I went to in New York before moving to Utah, must have spoiled me. Boot work was always included in the purchase, and there was often a discount. I’ll move on and continue my search.

Last edited:

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
@bailey35mm - Just gonna throw this out there since you're obviously struggling with finding someone that understands your feet... since you live in a land of serious skiing, there has to be a shop with the Fischer 3D foot scan system. This is an interesting solution to at least get you in the ballpark of a boot or two that best matches the true anatomy of your feet. When I used it, the system basically validated what I had already figured out through a ton of trial and error. I think it's worth a shot at this point so that you know where to look.
I haven’t seen the Fischer 3D foot scan system in any shops I’ve been in, but I’ll search it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I haven’t seen the Fischer 3D foot scan system in any shops I’ve been in, but I’ll search it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Note that the system provides recommendations for many boot manufacturers through its virtual try-on feature. Surprisingly, it doesn't only suggest Fischer boots.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Since you are in SLC area have you checked into Daleboot?
Not yet. I’ve been told the boots are very soft, and I’m a bit of a heavier guy. I’ll stop by the store since it’s within walking distance.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Phil,

This isn’t this shops first rodeo pulling this stuff kinda known for it in the industry.

I have been trying to withhold comment thus far in the issue of fairness.

But they keep doing it.

At least the op got some of his money back in this situation.

Others have not

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil,

This isn’t this shops first rodeo pulling this stuff kinda known for it in the industry.

I have been trying to withhold comment thus far in the issue of fairness.

But they keep doing it.

At least the op got some of his money back in this situation.

Others have not

Were they the one that put @Rainbow Jenny in a Salomon 130 boot back in 2014?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember seeing her with her new 130 boots in GMD at Alta one morning during 2014 gathering. @Uncle Louie and I looked at each other and quietly shook our heads. A 105 lb intermediate woman in a stiff over sized boot. Doesn't get more obvious that that. :nono:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bailey, you need more ideas like a hole in the head, but I will toss this out: I also skied the Head Vectors (120) and I also have a wide forefoot with narrow heel. I found a pretty solid replacement in the Nordica SpeedMachine 130 after my fitter added some material to tighten up the heel pocket. Since you've been through a lot of boots, I imagine you might have tried this one, but if not....

BTW, my fitter ruled out the K2's based on narrow fit, so I'm puzzled by why the shop might suggest them to someone with a wide forefoot.
As usual, these comments are worth what you paid for them. ogwink

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Bailey, you need more ideas like a hole in the head, but I will toss this out: I also skied the Head Vectors (120) and I also have a wide forefoot with narrow heel. I found a pretty solid replacement in the Nordica SpeedMachine 130 after my fitter added some material to tighten up the heel pocket. Since you've been through a lot of boots, I imagine you might have tried this one, but if not....

BTW, my fitter ruled out the K2's based on narrow fit, so I'm puzzled by why the shop might suggest them to someone with a wide forefoot.
As usual, these comments are worth what you paid for them. ogwink
I’ve been aware of the possible fit similarities between the Vectors and the Speedmachines, but I haven’t seen the Nordica’s in any local shops. The K2’s were stretched in the forefoot to match the shape of my foot. I do have to give Sport Loft kudos to their work in that regard. I think the downfall of the supposed 140 flex Recon Pro is that the thin Pebax material folded like tissue paper when flexed in actual use, leading to additional pressure being added to my ankle/instep area that helped cause the numbness. If a proper solution would have been possible, I would have kept the K2’s as they were fun to ski for a run before my foot went dead. I think returning to a boot made with more traditional plastics would be the right move for me. I might need to wait until the fall to find a shop that carries the Speedmachine so I can see if the fit is a match for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
It’s an expensive lesson learned. The bootfitter that I went to in New York before moving to Utah, must have spoiled me. Boot work was always included in the purchase, and there was often a discount. I’ll move on and continue my search.

That’s pretty wack to charge so much for work as I find most fitters to be pretty aggressive with the initial fit before the work. Just recently made the rounds of bootfitters in N Tahoe since my regular shop only had one shell this late in the season that would work for me and I just didn’t love the feel. All 3 other fitters were pretty much on the exact same page (as my normal fitter) about what I needed. Even now with everything on sale at 20-30%off map all of them still included the work and stood by getting the boot where It needs to be. Seems kinda shady to go full price then charge so much for work that is 100% neccissary.

That’s a pretty expensive lesson with a completely understood high frustration level

Sponsor

Staff online