• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot guru in salt lake city

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It's been a number of years, but Steve Bagley at Snowbird is well regarded. I think his "shop" is inside the Christy Sports.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
I’ve been going through the long, arduous process of trying to find new boots this season. I’ve been through Jans and Coles in Park City, as well as Sports Den which all resulted in returned boots that were all a size too big. I’m currently working through things with Sport Loft, which while very expensive compared to the competition, I can confirm that they are very thorough. They currently have my new boots doing a second round of stretching on the 2021 K2 Recon Pro’s they put me in. They were causing my toes and the bottoms of my feet to go numb quickly even after 8 days of break in, as well as some painful spots. We’ll see if additional volume in the forefoot corrects this issue. Until that happens, I’ll give them a conditional recommendation. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours with them and to spend around $1000-$1200 and up depending on if you need orthotics and any additional work needed. I’ve been very lucky in the past for many years with Keith at the Pro Ski and Ride in Hunter, NY, but it’s been a struggle boot wise since moving to Salt Lake a couple of years ago. I’ll update this regarding Sport Loft if and when things get dialed in with the Recons, or if things go sideways.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve been going through the long, arduous process of trying to find new boots this season. I’ve been through Jans and Coles in Park City, as well as Sports Den which all resulted in returned boots that were all a size too big. I’m currently working through things with Sport Loft, which while very expensive compared to the competition, I can confirm that they are very thorough. They currently have my new boots doing a second round of stretching on the 2021 K2 Recon Pro’s they put me in. They were causing my toes and the bottoms of my feet to go numb quickly even after 8 days of break in, as well as some painful spots. We’ll see if additional volume in the forefoot corrects this issue. Until that happens, I’ll give them a conditional recommendation. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours with them and to spend around $1000-$1200 and up depending on if you need orthotics and any additional work needed. I’ve been very lucky in the past for many years with Keith at the Pro Ski and Ride in Hunter, NY, but it’s been a struggle boot wise since moving to Salt Lake a couple of years ago. I’ll update this regarding Sport Loft if and when things get dialed in with the Recons, or if things go sideways.
I am skiing in that boot now and loving it. As far as the bottom of the boot going numb...that would probably be more the the footbed.

Mark-172

Alta or Brighton... hmm...
Skier
I recommend Jerry and Earl at the Sport Loft. Highland Drive near 45th south. They go back two generations in ski boot fitting and can make any adjustment you might need. They put me in some K2 Spynes a few years ago and I really like them. After a couple of tweaks on the shell (near the buckle which not all boot-fitters can do) to relieve some pressure on a nerve, they are fitting fine. ( I have a high arch which another slc bootfitter failed to deal with properly, but that Earl caught right away)..

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Depends on the brand of boot you are looking for and your needs.

Mike and Curtis at Sports Den are good.

Jeremy at Sport Loft is good if he is carrying the brand you need.

Paul Archer at Jan's is good.

Brian at Gorsuch is good.

Ernie at Boot Work is good.

All these guys can get the job done, but a few things need to be in place. And each place has it's specialty.

1-They need to carry the brand that is closest fit to begin from.
2-You are best off getting an appointment when it isn't busy.
3-You start from square 1 and take the time to boot fit in the right order.

Foot bed first. Make sure you have the final liner before punching. Make sure you do your punches before alignment.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
I am skiing in that boot now and loving it. As far as the bottom of the boot going numb...that would probably be more the the footbed.
I like a lot about the Recon Pro, or at least the one on my left foot. They do feel extremely soft compared to the Head Vector Evo 110 that I moved from. Even after some additional work on them though by the team at Sport Loft, my right foot in particular, is still a mess. It’s almost like I’m skiing in 2 left foot boots. My toes and bottom of my foot all go numb within minutes, and I feel like I can’t control my right ski. They blew out the outside forefoot a little more, but I don’t notice any difference in the issues plaguing me. As the liner begins to pack out after 10 days(albeit mostly 1-2 hour days caused by the right boot), I feel my foot slipping around on every turn. Tightening them further just exacerbates the problems. I’ve wasted so many days off from work now this season where after just a few runs, I just can’t take the misery anymore. I hoped spending $1500 on ski boots would result in perfection, but I’m starting to feel like I could have done just as well just randomly picking a boot off the wall myself. I plan to return to Sport Loft on Monday and see what else they might suggest. For the first time in my life, I feel defeated enough that quitting skiing seems like an actual possibility.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like a lot about the Recon Pro, or at least the one on my left foot. They do feel extremely soft compared to the Head Vector Evo 110 that I moved from. Even after some additional work on them though by the team at Sport Loft, my right foot in particular, is still a mess. It’s almost like I’m skiing in 2 left foot boots. My toes and bottom of my foot all go numb within minutes, and I feel like I can’t control my right ski. They blew out the outside forefoot a little more, but I don’t notice any difference in the issues plaguing me. As the liner begins to pack out after 10 days(albeit mostly 1-2 hour days caused by the right boot), I feel my foot slipping around on every turn. Tightening them further just exacerbates the problems. I’ve wasted so many days off from work now this season where after just a few runs, I just can’t take the misery anymore. I hoped spending $1500 on ski boots would result in perfection, but I’m starting to feel like I could have done just as well just randomly picking a boot off the wall myself. I plan to return to Sport Loft on Monday and see what else they might suggest. For the first time in my life, I feel defeated enough that quitting skiing seems like an actual possibility.
Hmmm. $1,500 into these boots? I thought MAP on them was $699. Where was the other $801 spent? Tricia and I are both in this boot, well, she is in the Anthem 120, the women's version and I am in the 140. She is skiing the boot right out of the box, something she hasn't been able to do any ANY boot in the past 5 years but I did have to do some work to mine. I was not happy with the upright stance so I did a full heat mold on mine to modify that and now the boot is dialed.

As far as your case, maybe the boot isn't the right boot for you, no idea but coming from a Vector Evo which is a higher volime boot to this, could be part of the problem, assuming that the Head fit your foot initially.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
Hmmm. $1,500 into these boots? I thought MAP on them was $699. Where was the other $801 spent? Tricia and I are both in this boot, well, she is in the Anthem 120, the women's version and I am in the 140. She is skiing the boot right out of the box, something she hasn't been able to do any ANY boot in the past 5 years but I did have to do some work to mine. I was not happy with the upright stance so I did a full heat mold on mine to modify that and now the boot is dialed.

As far as your case, maybe the boot isn't the right boot for you, no idea but coming from a Vector Evo which is a higher volime boot to this, could be part of the problem, assuming that the Head fit your foot initially.
I don't want to make it sound like I'm bad mouthing the team at Sport Loft, as they seem like really nice people, but I was told retail was going to be $899 in the fall, which of course I now know is not true. $340 more for their custom insoles, and $200 for the shell stretches. If they were flawless on the mountain, I wouldn't care about the added cost, but they're not. I've been in the Head Vector line for 12 years prior to this season, with no major problems. I tried to buy a leftover Vector Evo RS in the same size as the other Head's, but they are much wider now than the older boot, and I was swimming in them. The Recon Pro's were so tight, I couldn't buckle them off the shelf, so they heated them and put me in the Fischer Vacuum machine so I could get them on. They felt good in the shop, and the left boot I could live with, but of course the real story is how they do on the mountain. But the right boot is a mess, and numbs me before I ride the first lift of the day. Everyone at the shop seem really knowledgeable and I am willing to give them a reasonable number of opportunities to remedy this. But when an entire season has gone down the drain, I become the little cranky New Yorker that I am. I'm going to see them tomorrow after work and hopefully they'll have another suggestion other than making them wider yet again as we are at the point of slop, pain and numbness. Thank you for your help.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
$340 more for their custom insoles, and $200 for the shell stretches

$340 for foot beds? Kind of rich. Unless you got something extra special.
$200 for shell stretches? If I paid retail for a pair of boots I would expect a fit guarantee and all the fitting work to be included.

bailey35mm

Go that way, really fast
Skier
$340 for foot beds? Kind of rich. Unless you got something extra special.
$200 for shell stretches? If I paid retail for a pair of boots I would expect a fit guarantee and all the fitting work to be included.
It’s absolutely very expensive. But sometimes desperate times calls for desperate actions. 4 other highly regarded ski shops in SLC/PC didn’t work out and several boots were returned. My hope was to throw money at a problem to prevent a lost ski season. That has thus far not worked out as hoped.

Sponsor