• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot for REALLY Flat Feet?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
+++++++++

Nearly all flat feet have limited ankle joint dorsiflexion. If AJ dorsiflexion is limited, most footbeds/orthotics will be uncomfortable. I recommend you find a boot fitter who knows how to check AJ dorsiflexion and understands it's role in skiing.

Ankle joint motion limitation generally is caused by-
Bony restriction at the joint due to injury or congenital- rarer
Tight calf musculature- most common
The ankle is frozen up and needs mobilization- IME more common than many would think.

There are also flatfeet that are caused by the subtalar joint axis location or hip retroversion.

There are also some flat feet are unsymptomatic and just need to be left alone.
Although I found that to be true in the past, I'm finding a lot of young adults who wore terrible shoes with no support who have flat feet but still a bunch of ROM.
Individual feet have individual needs.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Interesting thread. I too have flat feet and overpronate fairly severely.

I use a footbed and assume this is the primary solution. Certain brands definitely fit better for my feet than others. However, I'd be surprised if certain brands are generically better for flat feet than others. If experienced people beg to differ, I'd love to hear about it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting thread. I too have flat feet and overpronate fairly severely.

I use a footbed and assume this is the primary solution. Certain brands definitely fit better for my feet than others. However, I'd be surprised if certain brands are generically better for flat feet than others. If experienced people beg to differ, I'd love to hear about it.
There are more experienced fitters than I am, but I'll add my 2 cents.
A boot is fitted to the overall volume of the foot, as well as any other issues that may need to be addressed, such as canting capabilities, etc.
Flat feet aren't necessarily going to be adressed in the boot itself as much as it will be addressed in the footbed. Mobility, ankle ROM, peroneal tendon, etc.... those are among things that are considered in choosing a boot/footbed appropriate for the customer.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Although I found that to be true in the past, I'm finding a lot of young adults who wore terrible shoes with no support who have flat feet but still a bunch of ROM.
Individual feet have individual needs.

there are no cookie cutter one size fits all solutions in boot fitting , however we are seeing more and more people with reduced ROM than any other single boot fit problem... come on people get flexi!!, get stretching and using your foam rollers (you know, that thing that hurts like hell!!) i sometimes think people forget that skiing is a sport and not just a pastime, and that they need a level of fitness and flexibility to participate without pain

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
i sometimes think people forget that skiing is a sport and not just a pastime, and that they need a level of fitness and flexibility to participate without pain
+1

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
sometimes think people forget that skiing is a sport and not just a pastime, and that they need a level of fitness and flexibility to participate without pain

Damn you. I was just getting comfy in my chair. Now you have guilted me into getting off my duff and go do something. Not sure what, but something. I know, I will stop off at McD first. I am sure something will come to me by then. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Back to the OP question, when faced with the need for an aggressive ankle punch, I generally prefer the Nordica infrared boots. The infrared heats through the clog and cuff better than just a heat gun.
using the infrared on the outside and a heat gun on the inside, the plastic is easy to move.
The lasts are more abducted in the forefoot to start with and that generally complements this foot type.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
there are no cookie cutter one size fits all solutions in boot fitting , however we are seeing more and more people with reduced ROM than any other single boot fit problem... come on people get flexi!!, get stretching and using your foam rollers (you know, that thing that hurts like hell!!) i sometimes think people forget that skiing is a sport and not just a pastime, and that they need a level of fitness and flexibility to participate without pain
Amen!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Back to the OP question, when faced with the need for an aggressive ankle punch, I generally prefer the Nordica infrared boots. The infrared heats through the clog and cuff better than just a heat gun.
using the infrared on the outside and a heat gun on the inside, the plastic is easy to move.
The lasts are more abducted in the forefoot to start with and that generally complements this foot type.

Do we know if the OP has a low or high instep? Recommending ANY particular boot without a proper and complete on site 1:1 assessment isn't something to be encouraged... IMHO of course.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Do we know if the OP has a low or high instep? Recommending ANY particular boot without a proper and complete on site 1:1 assessment isn't something to be encouraged... IMHO of course.
I am pretty sure that the Nordica infrared heating system that was being referred to can be used on any boot except that the heat element distance and timing will be less accurate with non Nordica boots. But that is all up to the boot fitter doing the fitting anyways.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I know I'll need a lot of modifications to my boots, I'd let the fitter be the one that choose the boot so that he's comfortable working with it and knows what can be done to it. Rather than bringing my own boot, I'd accept that I may have to pay full retail on the boots with the condition that fitting is included and let the fitter go to town. In my previous post in this thread, I provided the contact info of a well known bootfitter in the area (Larry's Bootfitting), about 45 miles from his hometown. There are other qualified fitters in the area too. I'd do my research on bootfitters rather than on boots. I'd also plan on going early in the season so that most brands\models are available so that you have the best starting point.

"After 30 years of bootfitting, countless clinics on movement, and multiple classes in kinesthesiology, Larry can give an accurate assessment from a simple glance. “Do the simple, easy things,” he says and that simplicity translates into affordable fits, insoles, and adjustments.....Most bootfitters “tend to overcomplicate things,” he tells me. “Make it simple, stabilize the heels, and give the foot enough room to pronate but not a ton.” He knows anatomy like the back of his foot (pun intended) and he uses that vast knowledge and experience to make conscious decisions about what needs to be done and maybe more importantly, what should be left alone."
Source: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2015/09/22/a-true-fit-larry-houchen-of-larrys-bootfitting/

Last edited:

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
So I have a little bit different take on this. I used to think I had flat feet, no arch, but in fact what was happening was that I was over-pronated, which also resulted in my being knock-kneed. In other words, my arch was flattened, which pushed my ankle bones inwards, and in turn forced my knee inwards also. If that is the OP's situation, then I think the best correction is to actually correct the over-pronation. The reason I say this is that if you are over-pronated and knock kneed, that really puts a strain on your knee joint. Your leg joints are designed so that the weight of your body goes in a straight line through the middle of your knee joint and the middle of your ankle joint. Or as one of my teachers put it, the knee is a weight transfer joint, not a weight bearing joint. If your knee, ankle and foot are not aligned, then you will be more likely to suffer degenerative arthritis in your joints in later years, as with every step you are effectively twisting/straining your knee and ankle joints.

I learned this the first time I was fitted for foot beds way back in the 80's. The first time the fitter aligned my knees so they were directly over my feet, I felt like I was standing bow-legged, but in fact this was correcting my chronic over-pronation. The lesson was reinforced by my training in tai chi, where the instructor was adamant that I have my knee over my foot. It took me a few years of retraining my feet and legs, but now when I stand I have some arch, and my body weight goes through the middle of my knee and ankle joints directly into the ground. One test that your joints are aligned is that when you stand with your feet together and bend your knees, your knees do not knock together, nor do they spread apart, but track parallel smoothly as you bend and straighten up.

So, if that is the case for the OP, then I suggest a custom foot bed to correct the overpronation. You can also practice correct knee and ankle alignment in street shoes, as I did, or get custom footbeds for those as well. Well worth it for the long term health of your leg joints

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I am pretty sure that the Nordica infrared heating system that was being referred to can be used on any boot except that the heat element distance and timing will be less accurate with non Nordica boots. But that is all up to the boot fitter doing the fitting anyways.

"I generally prefer the Nordica infrared boots." is what was posted, then the infrared tool was brought up. Yes, it can be used on any boot. I don't know why it would be any more or less accurately applied with another brand of boots. I think PU vs PE etc... would play more of a rule with exposure time/temps. ANyhow, no big deal.

Sponsor

Staff online