• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot for REALLY Flat Feet?

TheHitman

Putting on skis
Skier
I know, I know. See a boot fitter. I will. But the problem is my feet are so flat (zero arch) that no boot will feel good without knocking the ankle area out a tremendous amount.

So I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for. I'm a solid intermediate / slightly advanced skier. Weigh 200 lbs, 6 feet tall.

I'm thinking of Atomic Hawx Magna 130, or Head Edge LYT 130, or Tecnica Mach1 HV 120.

I'm skiing Rossignol all track 90s now.

I mostly need something where the ankle area can be very moldable. Any advice?

Also, will a higher flex mean that the boot is stiffer and less comfortable?

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
I'm just here for the "see a bootfitter" comments.

source.gif

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How flexible is your foot? Does it pronate significantly? Have you used a footbet at all? A stiffer boot will tend to be built with better materials. It won't necessarily be less comfortable but it will be a bit more restrictive. The best thing for you to do is to get yourself and your feet to a good fitter.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From someone that has ridiculous Fred Flintstone flat feet.....foot beds were/and have been a life saver......along with Tecnica Cochise 130’s.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Flat footer as well. Got some footbeds done at this place 3 seasons ago. I'd keep an eye on this page and make an appointment as soon as they announce they are open so that you can get the pick of the litter in terms of boots. Looks like they are remodeling the shop to make it "Covid compliant" and looking to open in mid September.
Larry's Bootfitting: https://www.facebook.com/Larrys-Bootfitting-135888414315/

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Another for footbeds. If you have extremely flat feet you may very well end up with artificial knees and / or hips. The stress from what is happening with your "foundation" just works its way up the chain. See a PhD level PT for an evaluation. This is about being structurally sound for everything that you do. Dialed boot fit is a byproduct. Enjoy.

TS
TheHitman

TheHitman

Putting on skis
Skier
I've had custom footbeds done at Christy Sports, but honestly the Superfeet green footbeds are better for my feet. I have ZERO arch, over-pronation galore. My issue with shoes or ski boots isn't helped much by footbeds. My ankle area needs to be knocked waaaay out at least an inch. I was able to do that with the Rossi alltracs, but I'm just wondering if there is a boot that is better for me.

I've also had two pairs of custom orthotics made by podiatrists for walking/running. On both occasions, I end up going back to Birkenstock and Superfeet. It seems as long as I regularly change the type of orthotics I'm wearing, I'm fine.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've had custom footbeds done at Christy Sports,
Not a knock on Christy Sports, but you'll be better served getting a custom footbed done by a c-ped, or at least someone who has a lot of experience with building footbeds for problem feet, specifically for ski boots, and ski movement.

Edit to add "for skiing"

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a knock on Christy Sports, but you'll be better served getting a custom footbed done by a c-ped, or at least someone who has a lot of experience with building footbeds for problem feet.
+1
And I would add, for skiing.

A good fitter will spend a lot of time with your bare foot standing on a footbed inside a boot shell (sans liner). Tweak tweak tweak tweak the footbed until your foot is as close to the right distance from the shell in all areas as the fitter thinks appropriate. Swap to a different shell / footbed if the fitter doesn't like the results. Etc. Has this been your experience? If so, what's still wrong and what has the fitter done to remediate? If not, get a better fitter.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My ankle area needs to be knocked waaaay out at least an inch.
Who says? Not being combative; trying to get a sense of how fully you have put yourself in the hands of a real boot fitter.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
+1
And I would add, for skiing.

A good fitter will spend a lot of time with your bare foot standing on a footbed inside a boot shell (sans liner). Tweak tweak tweak tweak the footbed until your foot is as close to the right distance from the shell in all areas as the fitter thinks appropriate. Swap to a different shell / footbed if the fitter doesn't like the results. Etc. Has this been your experience? If so, what's still wrong and what has the fitter done to remediate? If not, get a better fitter.
Thanks for adding that "for skiing" part. I will edit my earlier post to reflect that.
Who says? Not being combative; trying to get a sense of how fully you have put yourself in the hands of a real boot fitter.

Exactly.
I had a client come in for ankle punches. Upon further inspection, his ankle was rolling in and he actually needed to have other adjustments made to both the footbed and shell so his ankle didn't "bang" the side of the boot when it rolled in.

I think we will be able to help @TheHitman get set up for success.

Reactions: NE1

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Footbeds, LV boots. Take a look at Lange if possible.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Ok so we have a list of high volume boots, a number of get footbeds comments and suggestions to get low volume boots

here is how it is.... nobody on this forum can tell you what boots will work for you, that is down to the boot fitter you are working with and your feet AND your feedback, if the foot is flat and rigid then maybe something with a minimal arch and the boot needs punched out round the ankle, if the foot is flexible then its position is very possibly correctable at least partially which will result in a different boot shape and a different amount of stretch required at that ankle, what is happening at the forefoot, is it abducting massively and making that foot function wider than it is, is there enough ROM at the ankle joint or is the position of the foo a compensation for a lack of motion in one or more planes........EVERY good boot fit starts with an in depth assessment of the foot & ankle and the history and needs of the skier..... as to flex, as stated earlier in the thread, the materials in a stiffer boot are generally higher quality therefore stiffer and less "cushy" by nature, this doesn't translate to less comfortable, merely more precise.

so as in so many of these threads the answer is often the same, get top the boot fitter of choice, select wisely based on recommendations from other skiers, check out their work ask if they have worked on this type of problem before and don't be afraid to go elsewhere if you are not getting the responses about what the plan is. ski boot fitting is a process not a single hit and especially if there is a biomechanical issue with the foot it may be a 2,3 or even more visit process to get the boot dialled in

good luck getting sorted

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
just curious, but how did we get to low volume boots without seeing a foot? Did I miss something?
I was wondering the same thing.
We don't know that a LV boot will work for this foot.
Flat feet don't necessarily mean low instep or low volume.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I think the LV thing is my fault. Sorry.

I replied to the OP that he might end up in a LV boot. But @TheHitman, you definitely should not ask for one. You need a very good bootfitter (it's hard to find those), and you need to listen to that bootfitter rather than trying to guide the fitting process with information you have gained in this thread or anywhere else.

@TheHitman, pay attention to specific recommendations for good bootfitters that you are getting here. Boots that really fit are worth a long drive if no such bootfitter is nearby. You'll not only have more comfort in professionally fitted boots, but you'll be surprised at how much better control you'll have over your skis. Boots are one piece of gear that require the expertise of a trained professional to get right.

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
is there enough ROM at the ankle joint or is the position of the foo a compensation for a lack of motion in one or more planes

+++++++++

Nearly all flat feet have limited ankle joint dorsiflexion. If AJ dorsiflexion is limited, most footbeds/orthotics will be uncomfortable. I recommend you find a boot fitter who knows how to check AJ dorsiflexion and understands it's role in skiing.

Ankle joint motion limitation generally is caused by-
Bony restriction at the joint due to injury or congenital- rarer
Tight calf musculature- most common
The ankle is frozen up and needs mobilization- IME more common than many would think.

There are also flatfeet that are caused by the subtalar joint axis location or hip retroversion.

There are also some flat feet are unsymptomatic and just need to be left alone.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January