• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
My wife an I ski once a year, and her rental boot fit has definitely made or "broke" her vacation. Below is a description of her problem:

I get major heel lift! I have large calves and small ankles. Since we only ski once a year for vacation I've only rented ski boots. Three years ago at Park City, after having a full day lesson, I had to stick to the "bunny slopes" because I had no confidence in my ability to turn. Very frustrating. Two years ago at Copper Mountain (another days lesson), I did very well with a pair of Salomon Divines (or at least that is what Black Tie Rentals recorded as my boots). I was able to ski nearly all the greens and a blue. I really enjoyed the trip, and was excited about skiing. This last year at Big Sky I couldn't find anything to work. Black Tie tried about 4-5 different boots and sizes. Tried heel lifts and a shin piece that were recommended but to no avail. When I have the heel lift it has certainly hindered my skiing ability - after taking lessons for 3 ski trips I haven't advanced. When I lean forward - I get the lift in the heels which causes me to panic and sit back and then often crash. I just don't feel in control especially during turning - it's really difficult for me to slide my uphill foot around to parallel. I am ready to make the investment in custom fitted boots - I am hoping this will make a big difference in my experience and ability.

Would you agree? If so, we'd like your advice on where and when to purchase. Would you recommend:
  • would you think it ok to go somewhere locally (couple hours minimum) - the two places we know would be Peter Glenn in Atlanta (2 hrs away) or Southern Ski in South Carolina (5 hrs away). (open to other suggestions) Or
  • waiting until our next ski trip (Jan - Copper Mountain) and buy from a recommended place in the area (Copper, Frisco, Breckenridge) and be available quickly for any adjustments.
We are worried that if she buys something local and they turn out to be the wrong boots (bad fitter), that she wont be able to have them tweeked enough in Copper Mountain, and ruin an entire ski vacation (or have to buy another boot).
However, she doesn't want to miss a day of skiing on our vacation while getting fitted for boots, but also don't want to waste a whole vacation being frustrated and not able to ski.
What would you recommend that we do to help ensure that she has an enjoyable ski trip next year?

I am hoping you can provide guidance on the best way to do this since we live in Georgia.

Thanks!

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Southern Ski is a good choice but you need to go in October when the inventory is best

Southern Ski, Columbia,SC
See Mike
@MRT

Otherwise Racers Edge In Breckenridge and again inventory at time of your trip may be limited

James

Out There
Instructor
would you think it ok to go somewhere locally (couple hours minimum) - the two places we know would be Peter Glenn in Atlanta (2 hrs away) or Southern Ski in South Carolina (5 hrs away). (open to other suggestions) Or
I'd go to Southern Ski. Mike has been on here and epicski for a long time. Make a weekend out of it perhaps?
This way you won't take away from your vacation, plus getting ski boots then can often be rushed as you need a solution now. I'd talk to them and see when a good time to come is. Could be early fall when they have more in stock. It would also give her time to wear them while say watching tv. Some time at least before skiing.

You can always get stuff tweaked on vacation if necessary. You'll have to pay, but it's not that bad.

https://www.southernski.com/bootfitting-tips.html

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rental boots are designed to fit a multitude of feet equally poorly. You are wise to look at this process as an investment. While Breckenridge is not exactly next door to Copper, it is closer than your other options back home plus you will be near the hill and close enough to swing by after a day of skiing if you have issues. On that note, I would suggest The Racers Edge in Breck. Don't be afraid of the name, while they do boots for high end skiers, they fit the boot to the foot and can help the everyday skier too.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My wife an I ski once a year, and her rental boot fit has definitely made or "broke" her vacation. Below is a description of her problem:

I get major heel lift! I have large calves and small ankles. Since we only ski once a year for vacation I've only rented ski boots. Three years ago at Park City, after having a full day lesson, I had to stick to the "bunny slopes" because I had no confidence in my ability to turn. Very frustrating. Two years ago at Copper Mountain (another days lesson), I did very well with a pair of Salomon Divines (or at least that is what Black Tie Rentals recorded as my boots). I was able to ski nearly all the greens and a blue. I really enjoyed the trip, and was excited about skiing. This last year at Big Sky I couldn't find anything to work. Black Tie tried about 4-5 different boots and sizes. Tried heel lifts and a shin piece that were recommended but to no avail. When I have the heel lift it has certainly hindered my skiing ability - after taking lessons for 3 ski trips I haven't advanced. When I lean forward - I get the lift in the heels which causes me to panic and sit back and then often crash. I just don't feel in control especially during turning - it's really difficult for me to slide my uphill foot around to parallel. I am ready to make the investment in custom fitted boots - I am hoping this will make a big difference in my experience and ability.

Would you agree? If so, we'd like your advice on where and when to purchase. Would you recommend:
  • would you think it ok to go somewhere locally (couple hours minimum) - the two places we know would be Peter Glenn in Atlanta (2 hrs away) or Southern Ski in South Carolina (5 hrs away). (open to other suggestions) Or
  • waiting until our next ski trip (Jan - Copper Mountain) and buy from a recommended place in the area (Copper, Frisco, Breckenridge) and be available quickly for any adjustments.
We are worried that if she buys something local and they turn out to be the wrong boots (bad fitter), that she wont be able to have them tweeked enough in Copper Mountain, and ruin an entire ski vacation (or have to buy another boot).
However, she doesn't want to miss a day of skiing on our vacation while getting fitted for boots, but also don't want to waste a whole vacation being frustrated and not able to ski.
What would you recommend that we do to help ensure that she has an enjoyable ski trip next year?

I am hoping you can provide guidance on the best way to do this since we live in Georgia.

Thanks!

I would second that you wait until you are in Colorado and go to A Racer's Edge in Breck. Relax, they will have PLENTY of boots and will take care of you. Her skiing will be MUCH more enjoyable after that.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another vote for southern ski and Mike- It's a 4 hour one way trip for us, but we still go for our boots. Give him call to see what he has in stock- pricing will be better now, than in Oct, but inventory will be better in Oct. Plus, if you go now you'll probably need to set up an appointment with Mike.

You won't be disappointed!

TS
A

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
I have contacted Mike at Southern Ski and will likely be setting up an appointment for this summer.
Are there any other good boot fitters in the Southeast?

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have contacted Mike at Southern Ski and will likely be setting up an appointment for this summer.
Are there any other good boot fitters in the Southeast?

It's a long way from GA, but Mark aka "Bullet" at C&R Ski in Elon, NC candrski.com/ fit my boots in 2003 that I still have today. It's been years since I've talked to him, but if he's still there & fitting boots he would probably do a good job. Call first of course.

Southern Ski certainly seems like the better bet based on the recs here though.

IceChick

Booting up
Skier

Thanks!

Larry's Bootfitting in Boulder is amazing if you can make it down there. He has lots of parts from other boots, a Superfeet insole making system, and can make some serious mods to any boot get you a good fit! Also carries a small selection of used boots to fit smaller budgets. I'd try to find a bootFITTER as opposed to a bootSELLER, and unfortunately, in Summit country, you're gonna run into a lot of people whose job it is to sell products, not spend hours with clients to tweak their fit.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd try to find a bootFITTER as opposed to a bootSELLER, and unfortunately, in Summit country, you're gonna run into a lot of people whose job it is to sell products, not spend hours with clients to tweak their fit.
You are going to fit in well here.

TS
A

Acipenser

Booting up
Skier
Wanted to update the thread.
We went to Southern Ski in Columbia, SC, and got fitted by Mike.
He spent a lot of time with us, at least 2 hours. He checked several things and measured my wife's forward lean position (not sure how best to explain it). But from that he felt for sure that the rental boots were forcing her to sit back to counteract the forward lean of the boots, which caused her to be back on her ski's, out of balance, and have turning issues. The other issue was that the rental boots that she had were two sizes too large.
He heat molded a pair of new boots for her.
We are going to Cataloochee, NC to test them out in November. I'll report back the results.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wanted to update the thread.
We went to Southern Ski in Columbia, SC, and got fitted by Mike.
He spent a lot of time with us, at least 2 hours. He checked several things and measured my wife's forward lean position (not sure how best to explain it). But from that he felt for sure that the rental boots were forcing her to sit back to counteract the forward lean of the boots, which caused her to be back on her ski's, out of balance, and have turning issues. The other issue was that the rental boots that she had were two sizes too large.
He heat molded a pair of new boots for her.
We are going to Cataloochee, NC to test them out in November. I'll report back the results.
Bootfitting is a lot of science and a sprinkle of art. Looking forward to seeing the follow up and feedback.

One huge thing to keep in mind is the choice in ski socks.
From experience, I've had boot customers come in and feel awesome in the store but come back with pain. The first thing I ask is, "What socks were you wearing?"
Often the socks used during the fit process are thinner than what the customer has at home, especially if they are coming out of a rental boot.
Make sure she is wearing ski socks that are same thickness as those she was wearing during the fit.

Sponsor

Staff online