• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
ok so we have been open since 4th july along with the barbers and hair dressers over here in the UK, here is what we are doing

customers wear a mask, there is enough hand san to sink a battle ship, on entry and at each fitting station, they are asked to bring thin clean ski socks or buy a pair (no try ons), we put them in the boot so they technically don't touch it until they have decided on purchase, they are also asked to attend alone where possible so we limit the number of people in store ... NO entourage
staff wear visors, hand san everywhere, cleaning of materials and surfaces between each client so we have spaced out appointments to allow for this, we alo have the door open where possible as the weather has been kind so far, but we have a portable 6 stage air scrubber with hepa filter and UV which we can use when needed, we did look at UVC lamp to sanitise the place overnight but didnt like the idea of exposing the boots to this much UVC

all seems to be working so far, gloves rip to easy and can cross contaminate, so we wash hands after examination, only had a couple of clients moan about masks and that was early on, now they are mandatory in all shops they have two options, wear one or not bother coming in.
as we have an appointment based business we also have an electronic diary system which has clients names, e mails and contact numbers which can be used for track n trace should this been needed

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....customers wear a mask, there is enough hand san to sink a battle ship, on entry and at each fitting station, they are asked to bring thin clean ski socks or buy a pair (no try ons), we put them in the boot so they technically don't touch it until they have decided on purchase, they are also asked to attend alone where possible so we limit the number of people in store ... NO entourage

Customers don't touch a boot until they have decided to buy it, but you touch it, right?
It sounds like you've got everything covered. Do you, personally, feel safe working this way in this infectious climate?

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Customers don't touch a boot until they have decided to buy it, but you touch it, right?
It sounds like you've got everything covered. Do you, personally, feel safe working this way in this infectious climate?
well to put them into the boot without someone touching it would be impossible, so better i touch the boots knowing that it is only me touching it and not a series of different people

as for do i feel safe, yes perfectly, everything in life is a risk, crossing the road, eating a chicken sandwich, fitting a ski boot, we minimise the risk and get on with life, when there is not contact ie assessment or putting the boot on etc we move back 2m form the client (we have our own "corner to wheel a stool into) sop we can talk to the customer but not up close, they keep their mask on we keep our visor on unless we have gone into the workshop to make an adjustment to a boot

at the end of the day it is up to the customer if they feel we have adequate protection in place, they don't have to shop with us and i would like to think it is one hell of a lot safer in our store than in many ski stores and a lot safer than the average supermarket

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....at the end of the day it is up to the customer if they feel we have adequate protection in place, they don't have to shop with us and i would like to think it is one hell of a lot safer in our store than in many ski stores and a lot safer than the average supermarket
Sounds like it for sure.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
ok so we have been open since 4th july along with the barbers and hair dressers over here in the UK, here is what we are doing

customers wear a mask, there is enough hand san to sink a battle ship, on entry and at each fitting station, they are asked to bring thin clean ski socks or buy a pair (no try ons), we put them in the boot so they technically don't touch it until they have decided on purchase, they are also asked to attend alone where possible so we limit the number of people in store ... NO entourage
staff wear visors, hand san everywhere, cleaning of materials and surfaces between each client so we have spaced out appointments to allow for this, we alo have the door open where possible as the weather has been kind so far, but we have a portable 6 stage air scrubber with hepa filter and UV which we can use when needed, we did look at UVC lamp to sanitise the place overnight but didnt like the idea of exposing the boots to this much UVC

all seems to be working so far, gloves rip to easy and can cross contaminate, so we wash hands after examination, only had a couple of clients moan about masks and that was early on, now they are mandatory in all shops they have two options, wear one or not bother coming in.
as we have an appointment based business we also have an electronic diary system which has clients names, e mails and contact numbers which can be used for track n trace should this been needed
This sounds like good practices, very much in line with what Steve from Masterfit talked about. Good to hear its working for you.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
If I was still running a high-touch shop (like the boot section of a ski shop) I'd surely do the key things mentioned here. But I'd probably invest in some portable air purifiers that include UV-C sanitizing of the air passing through the unit.

We got our flu shots at Costco today and they had a unit like this one in the office where we got the shots:

https://www.costco.com/homedics-xl-totalclean-uv-5-in1-tower-air-purifier.product.100500567.html

The nurse said they just got them in that day & sold out immediately. Anyway, there's other such makes of air purification units.

For the boot fitting section of a ski shop, I could see setting up some simple free-standing partitions of some kind around the fitting area to isolate the air and then put one or two of the air units in the space where customers sit. I'd definately advertise that high tech air purification was being used to assist in customer & staff safety.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
If I was still running a high-touch shop (like the boot section of a ski shop) I'd surely do the key things mentioned here. But I'd probably invest in some portable air purifiers that include UV-C sanitizing of the air passing through the unit.

We got our flu shots at Costco today and they had a unit like this one in the office where we got the shots:

https://www.costco.com/homedics-xl-totalclean-uv-5-in1-tower-air-purifier.product.100500567.html

The nurse said they just got them in that day & sold out immediately. Anyway, there's other such makes of air purification units.

For the boot fitting section of a ski shop, I could see setting up some simple free-standing partitions of some kind around the fitting area to isolate the air and then put one or two of the air units in the space where customers sit. I'd definately advertise that high tech air purification was being used to assist in customer & staff safety.

yup that is what we have, 6 stage filter and UV, over here it was £120 great value, no need for partitions as our boot benches are about 4 m apart

Reactions: eok

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Has anyone payed attention to what the CDC is currently saying about the risk of spread through contact surfaces?? Apparently it's not that big of a deal. I am adapting to my customer's wishes rather than dictating to them. I am a low volume shop with one fit bench and if my customers and I mutually consent to go unprotected I don't have a problem. No try on socks, must bring own clean pair or purchase. If my customer is worried, I wear a mask. I personally am not freaked out about the risk involved. OSHA on the other hand is looking to make some money on local businesses so I am more worried about that risk than Covid. My risk of dying are much higher participating in life's other tasks and adventures. If anyone is coughing or sneezing my antenna goes up as well as the mask. Let the haters hate.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
I believe that how a boot goes on and off should be part of the purchase decision for many customers.
Some boots are hard to get in and out of and some foot characteristics can make ingress/egress more challenging. Some people are willing to accept the notion that the better it fits and skis the harder it is to get in and out of. For others, ingress/egress is a deal breaker.
Because of this, we make them put them on and take them off for themselves. If they leave the shop with a boot that fits and skis well, but they can't put it on by themselves, that bothers me.

Unless of course, they also get a heated boot bag!
But that's just common sense.

I think with a face mask and clean hands there isn't a lot of surface transmission risk. Assuming you can keep the phone out of their hands. That's the plan for now.

pliny the elder

James

Out There
Instructor
People worried about using shop socks but will sit there for 30-60+ minutes breathing someone’s unknown air with no protection. Makes no sense.
A virus replicating in your lungs is much worse than some fungus on your feet.
Rollin’ the dice.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I wear a mask. Its required by both state and company mandate and I'm 120% fine with it. I also wear a Smith face shield that I angle up a bit as the customer is above me when I'm buckling boots. We wipe all surfaces down between each customer as well as boots that have been tried on but not purchased.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Has anyone payed attention to what the CDC is currently saying about the risk of spread through contact surfaces?? Apparently it's not that big of a deal. I am adapting to my customer's wishes rather than dictating to them. I am a low volume shop with one fit bench and if my customers and I mutually consent to go unprotected I don't have a problem. No try on socks, must bring own clean pair or purchase. If my customer is worried, I wear a mask. I personally am not freaked out about the risk involved. OSHA on the other hand is looking to make some money on local businesses so I am more worried about that risk than Covid. My risk of dying are much higher participating in life's other tasks and adventures. If anyone is coughing or sneezing my antenna goes up as well as the mask. Let the haters hate.
Bud- The last thing you should be worried about are your customers socks (odor issues aside). I would not worry much about touching the boot if you wash your hands between customers (and don't lick your fingers during fit). So, yes, surface contact spread is not a big deal. I would, however, seriously question your decision to go maskless for close contact with customers in an indoor room in your shop. I don't think your customer should be worried, it is primarily you who should be worried. COVID is transmitted primarily through small aerosol particles (similar to tobacco smoke) that linger in the air in closed spaces for hours. An educated and cautious customer would not come to your shop knowing that you had maskless people in there before them, mutual consent or not. No disrespect. If you were outdoors or had wide-open windows, different story.

@markojp has it more or less right. I could debate pros and cons of a face shield, but a mask is critical. Any mask is better than no mask, but a KN95 mask is $3 or less on Amazon and is pretty damn effective (almost as effective as a medical grade N95).

@James My thoughts exactly...

Last edited:

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Bud- The last thing you should be worried about are your customers socks (odor issues aside). I would not worry much about touching the boot if you wash your hands between customers (and don't lick your fingers during fit). So, yes, surface contact spread is not a big deal. I would, however, seriously question your decision to go maskless for close contact with customers in an indoor room in your shop. I don't think your customer should be worried, it is primarily you who should be worried. COVID is transmitted primarily through small aerosol particles (similar to tobacco smoke) that linger in the air in closed spaces for hours. An educated and cautious customer would not come to your shop knowing that you had maskless people in there before them, mutual consent or not. No disrespect. If you were outdoors or had wide-open windows, different story.

@markojp has it more or less right. I could debate pros and cons of a face shield, but a mask is critical. Any mask is better than no mask, but a KN95 mask is $3 or less on Amazon and is pretty damn effective (almost as effective as a medical grade N95).

@James My thoughts exactly...

yup 100%, over her in the UK we don't have an option... all clients must wear a face covering, and retail staff must wear one too, we also wear a visor as required to do so by law if we want to remain open under the close proximity working guidance, and within 1 m of your customer for more than 15 minutes is classified as close proximity.....we are also required to have client contact details (not a problem as we have a diary software) and have a QR code for the government track and trace app displayed ( clients are not obliged to scan it, but we MUST display it as an option, the other thing we could do is the close the store

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
One benefit of the face shield is that it prevents me from inadvertently touching my face/eyes. I think our shop protocols make for a relatively safe work environment.

Bud, with respect, I hope you adopt and require masks for all staff and customers. Personally, I wouldn't enter any indoor space other than my home without one.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
.we are also required to have client contact details (not a problem as we have a diary software) and have a QR code for the government track and trace app displayed ( clients are not obliged to scan it, but we MUST display it as an option, the other thing we could do is the close the store

Do you have a client entry questionnaire - a signed document asking the customer to give specific answers to questions such as do you have a runny nose and are you being tested?

No track and trace app here, but the questionnaires are everywhere. The more cautious businesses have you fill them out outdoors or online and take your temp before you come in.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Do you have a client entry questionnaire - a signed document asking the customer to give specific answers to questions such as do you have a runny nose and are you being tested?

No track and trace app here, but the questionnaires are everywhere. The more cautious businesses have you fill them out outdoors or online and take your temp before you come in.

We have covid paperwork we fill out at the beginning and end of each shift. The opener and closer, as well as the designated health monitor have additional paperwork. It's all filed by date and kept for company records. I'm guessing for potential liability mitigation as much as anything.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have seen Brent at Park City Ski Boot four times in the past six weeks.
Pre-Covid he had a back to back bench that could hold 6-7 people on and worked by appointment only.
My first visit last month was to have my downhill boots punched and to start trying on AT boots.
The bench he had was gone and replaced by one that one person could be fitted at.
My last trip in on Wednesday of this week, the single bench was now a back to back double with plexi dividers on the back on both sides.
I have been the only customer in his shop during my last 4 appointments with Brent, and he’s had an employee working 25’ away behind a desk during one of them.
His shop has signs posted on the door that masks are required and he already has one on when I walk in. I wear one also.
Other than when I have been trying boots on, I am in and out quick as he works fast in marking the boot for punches. This was the case pre-covid as well.
On Wednesday we decided the AT boot I had tried a couple visits ago was the one to go with. After trying them on again, having him mark for punches, and having him make a mold for foot beds for the new boots, I was in and out in 25 minutes.
I haven’t eaten in a restaurant since March. I rarely go into my office.
I am comfortable going to see Brent in his shop with the precautions he put in place.

Sponsor

Staff online