• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Looking for thoughts/opinions on the available boot canting options.

I think this is a complete list:
  1. Plane the boot sole (on a jointer or belt), plate it, then route the lugs
  2. Use thin canting strips between the plates and boot sole, then route the lugs
  3. Use canted plates, then route the lugs
Boots in question are Head Raptor B2 RD (no removable toe/heel components). Cantology does make canted plates for them, but does anyone know if the Cantology plates can be ordered in different thicknesses in order to achieve a toe lift (gas pedal)? IOW, put a 3mm canted plate on the heels and a 5mm canted plate on the toes in order to achieve a 2mm toe lift.

What's the recommended approach? I stacked plates on my B3 RD boots and I'd like to avoid that approach if possible (lost a ton of lug material doing it that way).

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Your raptors have a solid lug...

So you should be able to get the canting/ramping done by planing the bottom of the boot, putting the desired lifter on, and routing the top of the lug to get it back to DIN. So I guess that is number 1.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless you know exactly what you need and you're sure it would not change, I would use the lifter plates from Cold River, with the exchangeable canting shims (from CantCo). You can also ask I believe and he will grind them for you (or something like that), so the lifter plates would come already at a baseline angle, allowing you to play around it.

Edit/ I'm using Cold River lifter plates, with CantCo shims.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

2. Use thin canting strips between the plates and boot sole, then route the lugs
Boots in question are Head Raptor B2 RD (no removable toe/heel components). Cantology does make canted plates for them, but does anyone know if the Cantology plates can be ordered in different thicknesses in order to achieve a toe lift (gas pedal)? IOW, put a 3mm canted plate on the heels and a 5mm canted plate on the toes in order to achieve a 2mm toe lift.

What's the recommended approach? I stacked plates on my B3 RD boots and I'd like to avoid that approach if possible (lost a ton of lug material doing it that way).
Cantology offers canting shims and 3mm and 4mm lifts for leg lengths discrepancies (oddly they are only sold in pairs) and canting shims...not the two combined. Think how many combinations would have to be made? Just doesn't make sense.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Unless you know exactly what you need and you're sure it would not change, I would use the lifter plates from Cantology with the exchangeable shims. You can also ask I believe and he will grind them for you (or something like that), so the lifter plates would come already at a baseline angle, allowing you to play around it.

Razie - who is "he"? The guy who owns Cantology? Are you saying that they are willing to produce a custom order? Of course they don't seem to work directly with consumers; you have to go through a shop that uses Cantology.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Cantology offers canting shims and 3mm and 4mm lifts for leg lengths discrepancies (oddly they are only sold in pairs) and canting shims...not the two combined. Think how many combinations would have to be made? Just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I get that. So you would have to do some kind of combination to get canting and a gas pedal.

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Reply to my own original post because that list wasn't complete. Should have just read the Cantology web site's "The How of Canting".

TS
Noodler

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
After reviewing the options, I'm leaning toward using the Cantology lifter cants that go between the boot sole and any generic lifter plate. This avoids wear and tear on the precision angled cant shim and allows for easy replacement of the lifter plates as they wear. It also looks to be a fairly thin option unlike the stacked plates I have on the B3 RD shells.

I'll achieve the toe lift from the lifter plate thickness differential between the toe and heel. I think I'm good on this issue unless someone has a another reason to do it differently.

Sponsor

Staff online