• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Bags

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I also use a Transpack and like it a lot. Have been using it for about 10 years and am able to put it in the overhead when traveling.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i have the Dakine, the boots fit in their own compartment on the botttom and everything else is on top. I have used it for travel and it fits carryon size so i take just this bag and a ski bag.

54-46

"Hold my beer - Watch this!"
Skier
Use this Ortovox Haute Route 45 for my boots/carry-on: http://www.campsaver.com/haute-route-45-backpack
Fits boots, ski clothing/accessories for a day, and a tablet inside the compartments, and the helmet sits on the outside in a bungee net that comes with the pack. Low profile enough to fit in the overhead smallish bins of a CRJ700 or an Embraer 145. Obviously, it's a ski pack when I arrive and carries very well.

The Ortovox pack, a regulation rollaboard (gate checked) and a DaKine Fall Line Double can hold everything for a long weekend. If necessary, the Fall Line can store extra clothes - it weighs about 39 #s with two pairs of skis and poles.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I have a transpack that I was given to test and write a review for, and a hot gear USA bag.

The transpack hasn't failed; it works great for holding gear. Cavernous and no rips, tears, or otherwise.

The Hot Gear US bag is a superior product, however. Price is reflective of that...no doubt. I now utilize this bag full time. I love the pocket setup, the different stash areas, and the multi-zone heating (gloves on top of boot cavern, etc)

They are both equally large, although I can fit way more into the Transpack as it only has the one main pocket. Responding to this thread is apropos right now as they are both waiting to go on an airplane, and I can give a side by side...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm waiting for the heated Transpack to go on sale...

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Carry on, and gate check :)

At a larger airport--it doesn't really work too well.

Let me know how that larger HG bag goes - I've been placed in the "sizer" w/ my Claasic each trip this year - that is on AA, and to be fair, they have been particularly aggressive on that front lately. I've had to valet a couple times. Always wanted that bag but just seemed too big for overhead.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Let me know how that larger HG bag goes - I've been placed in the "sizer" w/ my Claasic each trip this year - that is on AA, and to be fair, they have been particularly aggressive on that front lately. I've had to valet a couple times. Always wanted that bag but just seemed too big for overhead.

Oh I'm sure I'll have to gate check it...without question. Way too big for the overheads and the small regional jets I have to take...

meput

Booting up
Skier
Just purchased a Transpack heated bag. I haven't used it yet, but I have a trip to Summit County/Vail coming up in a week. I will find out if it will go in the over head compartments. I will also learn how well they dry my boots and functions as a general boot bag.

I have a HG classic. It is too big for the overhead compartments, unless I have only my boots in them and I crush the bag. The new Transpack is much lighter than the HG. The weight of the HG has always been a downside for using it as a general boot bag.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
^ dream crusher on the larger HG :). The Classic has always fit for me in the overhead of a regular mainline jet. They just look a little big and they make me put it in the sizer (at least this season)

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a Transpack XT1 that I've been using for almost 10 years, and I've been really happy with it. I actually prefer the flip top / quick release closure to the top of the bag compared to the zipper in the TRV because I like the ability to drape stuff over the top (like my shell) and clip the flap over it to keep it all together with the bag. It's a very good size for day trips, or as my "daily ski stuff" bag when I travel. IMO, you can't go wrong with a Transpack. That said, this thread is the second time I've come across the Kulkea bags, and they look really nice to me. When my Transpack gives up the ghost at some point in the future, I might look into those more closely.

Last edited:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had a Hot Gear Classic for a few years. Loved the warm Zipfits and shells, thought the bag itself was just OK. It's very bulky for what it carries, and while I was able to get it in an overhead bin OK when flying, it wasn't ideal. The only reason I really persevered with it was that I could barely get my boots on without it.

I bought new boots this year - Salomon X-Max 120s - which have a moldable shell. The guys at the shop that fitted me didn't think the heated boot bag would be a problem. Neither did I, but after having to have a couple of punches re-done, and then re-done again, I'm not so sure.

The original punches and the first re-do were done at the well regarded shop where I bought the boots. I had another very good shop do the last re-punch of them, and they couldn't see any evidence of the original punches at that point.

It could have been that the first punches just weren't done right, but at this point, I don't really want to risk the third set of punches not holding due to being in a heated bag. These boots are much easier to get on anyway, so I decided to swap out the Hot Gear bag for something without a heating element.

I picked up a Dakine DLX 55L Cargo Pack last week:

http://store.dakine.com/dlx-cargo-pack-55l.html

I really like the form factor. It's comfortable to carry and it easily fits boots, helmet, gloves, goggles, and a complete set of clothes for a day skiing. Reviews say it's fine as a carry on, and it seems as though it will be no problem.

I haven't traveled with it yet, but initial impressions are that its a winner.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My favorite for airline travel is still the Sidekick Pro, it is the most comfortable to wear, I can put everythng I need in it plus it fits the best on the overhead compartment.

carvemeister

Booting up
Skier

I see you've got the green PM Gear Ski Bag there. I have the same one in blue. It's a hell of a durable bag (and a bit too heavy), but I'll be damned if I can understand the inside divider/strap design!! Everytime I go to put in my 2 pairs of skis I have a mental struggle trying to remember how I did it last time. Seems like it was designed for either 2 snowboards or 2 pairs of skis laid flat on their bases. Very strange. What the hell am I doing wrong? It eventually works and offers good protection though.

Last edited:

carvemeister

Booting up
Skier
I think I can claim the priciest "boot bag" here. Never designed as such, but works great for me for my air-travel boot bag. It's low profile, so I don't have to smash the hell out of it like my wife's transpack to get it in the overhead and I don't have to look over my shoulder in the airport before I turn around or keep a 3' buffer to avoid smashing someone in the face. I never get a second look boarding either with my F-Stop Loka camera backpack. http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2011/gear/loka/ The bag itself is light and much more durable than it might look. It's only 37L, but right within carry-on specs in all dimensions. Obviously, I have to lay my boots inside flat in an opposing L-pattern, but it works well. I can then fit a pair of medium weight ski pants, goggles, gloves, a hat, 2 avy beacons, medications, a book, small tablet, and all my can't lose electronics like a plethora of phone and battery chargers. It's heavy as hell when I'm done, but this bag has an internal aluminum frame and is designed to carry a very heavy load. So, I can schlepp it around in the airport, toss it down, and yank it up without any fear of popping a single stitch and it's super comfortable. I can also use it on the hill with skis strapped to it if needed, although I usually don't. Now, I'm not recommending anyone spend this much for a boot bag, just saying it works great for me since I had initially bought it for photography. When home, I put my camera ICU back inside and use it for my camera gear. So personally, If I wanted a boot bag for air travel, I'd go for that ORTOVOX Haute Route bag that 54-46 mentioned above. I'm very partial to the low-profile stuff that can have a dual use if needed for air travel. That being said, I just ordered that fabulous looking Kulkea Trekker for my eastern no-fly usage at 40% off right here: https://www.bobwards.com/KULKEA-Boot-Trekker-Ski-Boot-Bag-122017 .....oh wait...HOLY CRAP - looks like I just bought the last one. Sorry!!!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid