• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Bags

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the Transpack bags, which models seem to fit overhead compartments best on the smaller, regional jets?
IMHO, the Sidekick Pro fits into overhead compartments the best (unless the boots are over 28.5s or so..then none of them work well)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm getting into traveling a lot now that my daughter is in Utah. I am very concerned about buying a bag that will fit carry-on limits. Lots of airlines have gone to 22x14x9" size, and Dakine 50L, for instance is wider than that. Anyone have updated travel experience? I'm hearing on airline forums that carriers are getting very strict, and I don't wanna buy a bag that will not carry on.

BTW, I have a Transpack Pro for everyday and managed to sneak it on a plane two years ago. But it stuck out like a sore thumb as being too big (wide) and I was amazed I was not asked to check it. Not trying that again.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All options have already been discussed. As for me, I'm not chancing it and put my boots in a regulation size carry on bag. Stuff whatever else fits, check the rest. I try to fly Southwest, no baggage fees, to a limit.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I carry my boots outside my bag so I can be certain not to have to check them (in the rare times I fly). I stuff them with my travel essentials like a water bottle, magazine, etc. No way are they not staying with me on a plane.

Hot Gear boot bags are durable and come in a wide range of sizes. Being heated, they may putting your boots on a joy. I use the Pro which holds my boots with the liners out in the main compartment. A helmet, gloves, socks, goggles, Ski-Tracks, knee brace and more fit in the other pockets. Racers don't travel light. Pretty much everything I need except skis and poles in one bag.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
I would agree with all of that except the durability, Doug.

Both that I've had have disintegrated prematurely. The first then also had the heating system fail and all that within the first year, but I'll take responsibility for the heating system since I left the transformer in the pouch routinely which I think cooked it. The second one the stitching continues to give up. Like you, I like the size in order to have liners and boots separate along with everything else but the skis/poles in the bag.

So, barring another large replacement option popping up I'll keep stitching it back together and then probably get the same thing again once the heating system fails. But I can't really recommend them either...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've had my pro bag for at least three seasons, lots of use and abuse. Durability hasn't been a problem; obviously your mileage did vary :-(. My element did give out but was replaced for free after three years. I'm (slightly) biased as I'm supplied by Fuxi and he takes good care of me and my swag. Still I'd buy one based on experience. There is nothing like heated boots at the start of your ski day.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have an Athlon "EVERYTHING " wheeled boot bag , shaped just like my transpack BUT on wheels baby ! Huge center compartment for helmet gloves , other gear, thermos etc and 2 side compartments for the boots . Love it !!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I would agree with all of that except the durability, Doug.

Both that I've had have disintegrated prematurely. The first then also had the heating system fail and all that within the first year, but I'll take responsibility for the heating system since I left the transformer in the pouch routinely which I think cooked it. The second one the stitching continues to give up. Like you, I like the size in order to have liners and boots separate along with everything else but the skis/poles in the bag.

So, barring another large replacement option popping up I'll keep stitching it back together and then probably get the same thing again once the heating system fails. But I can't really recommend them either...

I had all this happen, too. I do have the smaller bag, because the big one is just ... big. It's too big for me. I don't know why the zippers keep ripping out, because I only put my boots in there, and they are 24s and fit just fine. I don't even remove my liners 90% of the time, only if they get wet.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I carry my boots outside my bag so I can be certain not to have to check them (in the rare times I fly). I stuff them with my travel essentials like a water bottle, magazine, etc. No way are they not staying with me on a plane.

Yes, I always remove my boots and carry them alone on a plane. They will fit anywhere like that, and I can still use another bag. (So far the boots count as my "small personal item.")

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Völkl bag similar to the Lange one that @SBrown notes above. I simply don't have the time for a "packs them all in and heats them" boot bag: I need to be able to move quickly, and having the boots outboard works for this. Sure, my boots can (and do) get cold, but it's not the end of the world. My lace-up liners live inside the VERY large duffel section (another plus for the Völkl bag: very few zippers), and are kept warm by a good 'ol hot water bottle. Stock image below:

luggage_L_rackpack.png

For airline travel, I have a wheeled carry-on bag by High Sierra that meets all current overhead dimensions and can fit my boots (stuffed with underwear and socks) and all of my basic ski clothes (including pants, base layers, gloves, et al). Like @Doug Briggs says above: racers never travel without their boots in easy grabbing range. Stock image below:

550793861be01.jpg

Racers don't travel light, that's for sure, but we become really versed in packing a lot of stuff into minimal space.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...For airline travel, I have a wheeled carry-on bag by High Sierra that meets all current overhead dimensions and can fit my boots (stuffed with underwear and socks) and all of my basic ski clothes (including pants, base layers, gloves, et al). Like @Doug Briggs says above: racers never travel without their boots in easy grabbing range. Stock image below:

550793861be01.jpg

Racers don't travel light, that's for sure, but we become really versed in packing a lot of stuff into minimal space.

I have traveled with a carry-on like that before, rather than an official boot bag, and it does work well. But if you end up on a commuter plane, they make you gate-check those. And because my ski flights are usually short (DEN-SLC or -JAC), I am often on small planes. I figure the chance of it getting lost when gate-checked is not really that high, but it still feels bad to be separated. So I just take mine out and sling 'em.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
I have traveled with a carry-on like that before, rather than an official boot bag, and it does work well. But if you end up on a commuter plane, they make you gate-check those. And because my ski flights are usually short (DEN-SLC or -JAC), I am often on small planes. I figure the chance of it getting lost when gate-checked is not really that high, but it still feels bad to be separated. So I just take mine out and sling 'em.

Check with @Weems Westfeldt on how to do this properly. If I recall correctly, he advocates buying a seat for your boots and checking your kids in the cargo hold...

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have had my hot bag now for 2 seasons with no issues. Its on 4 days a week; timer goes on at 5am. No issues. I wonder if its just earlier models?

for travel, you can't beat the Transpack sidekick pro! Like @SBrown said, taking boots out first on CRJ's is helpful for settling in quick. the sidekick pro allows quick detachment. Gregmerz is selling on now almost brand new for 75 shipped.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Ha! I hadn't noticed many being particularly concerned with such... and you should alternate in the lift line too!

Being a little considerate of others is not a burden :hug:

....and there's madness to my method. If the flight attendants see you struggling with boots/gear trying to get them in the overhead, they may just nix that and make you gate check

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had my hot bag now for 2 seasons with no issues. Its on 4 days a week; timer goes on at 5am. No issues. I wonder if its just earlier models?

I think we bought ours at the same time, didn't we?

Gerry

aka GerryF
Skier
I have the heat gear bag. although I LOVE the way the boots feel when I put them on, I have the following issues with it:
* it doesn't have a lot of room; it's a tight fit for my boots, gloves & helmet.
* it doesn't have many useable pockets (it does have some but they are small and virtually worthless)
* It is much heavier than my Transpack (I guess because of the heating element)

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Not sure how big your current bag is? I use the Dakine Boot Locker. The bag fits boots, socks, XL helmet, spare pants, spare goggles. Wet/stinky boots never go into the dry and clean top compartment. The long messenger bag-style carry strap means you can carry /two/ such bags and still have your hands free - unpossible with a backpack type bag.

The only downside is that it is too big for carryon luggage - so it stays home and I strap to my ski backpack instead.

I bought this bag in December and love it. Plenty of room for boots and all my gear other than skis and poles of course..