• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been using the Sportube Overheader backpack bag. It holds my Boots, Shell, Pants, Socks, Gloves, Underlayers, ( essentially everything I need for 1 days skiing )with my helmet and goggles on the outside in the webbing. You undo that to go through the scanner and to put in the overhead bin. Works like a charm.

sportube overheader bag.png

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I use the High Sierra Wheeled Carry-on Bootbag, but I didn't pay anywhere near that price. I even add the heating element from my Hotgear bag so I can get my boots on. Note that TSA really does not appreciate a bunch of wires running through your carry-on, especially when combined with your Hotronic batteries.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I flew to Vancouver using this boot bag and it fit perfectly (on its side) in the overhead compartment.
BC472B4E-C686-41CF-BAA5-E9EF9EC76F78.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given the price of checking 2 luggage skis and a bag; my last few trips I've flown first or business for only like $30 more than if I were to do economy+ the fees. Beyond the bigger seat, free drink and food; you also get priority check-in which does help if you have skis and are on a tighter schedule.
If you are flying in a premium seat, they pretty much will not give you a hard time and go out of their way find a space for your stuff it it doesn't fit in the galley.

That being said, I use a trapezoidal bag from ebags that they don't sell anymore. But it is similar to most trapezoidal type bags;
The boots will fit in the overhead but requites some logic as bins are actually somewhat trapezoidial/triangular too. Not sure if this is obvious but the bag goes in boot-Leg first, with the boot soles toes up vertical; so the tallest part of the bootsole is in the mouth of the bin; which is the biggest part and bigger than the sizingbox dimensions. If needed, splay out the boots a bit. My BSL is 297 though which helps. Helmet which is in a thin cloth bag comes out to help with the splay, and goes beneath the seat. In the small planes; bootbag goes under the seat, and helmet bag goes in overhead.

Last edited:

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I also have this one, and use it to carry my boots, helmet, googles, and accessories both at home to the mountain, and on planes for trips. I have had to gate check it a couple of times on smaller planes, though I'm not sure if there's a bag that would fit on those - boots might have to be separate to fit if they're brought on board.
Yeah, its likely too big for the regional jets, but it fits on all the larger ones. If you wear your helmet on the plane it may fit on the regionals.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
My solution is pretty low-tech. I usually just put them in my standard carry-on bag. They fit pretty well and it leaves room for other gear around them. My helmet doesn't fit, but I bring my ski backpack as my personal item and often strap the helmet to that. That is a risk that they'll question the size with the helmet sticking out pretty far, but so far I haven't had an issue. For some reason they seem more flexible with ski gear than other stuff.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, its likely too big for the regional jets, but it fits on all the larger ones. If you wear your helmet on the plane it may fit on the regionals.

In those cases, so far, I've still taken it as a carry on, and had to gate check it. That way it goes right on the plane at the gate with much less risk of being lost. I HAVE just checked my boot bag like normal luggage too, and things went fine. Lost bags are actually pretty rare, especially for direct flights I think.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
In those cases, so far, I've still taken it as a carry on, and had to gate check it. That way it goes right on the plane at the gate with much less risk of being lost. I HAVE just checked my boot bag like normal luggage too, and things went fine. Lost bags are actually pretty rare, especially for direct flights I think.
I'm not so sure gate checking on a small plane is less risky. I think a lot of stuff gets left behind on small planes on a last in-first out basis because of weight or space issues. I'm keeping my boots with me even if I have to wear them.

FWIW Southwest lost one of our boot bags on a non-stop to SLC this year, our ski club trip to Crested Butte lost all their skis.

dm

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
..... Lost bags are actually pretty rare, especially for direct flights I think.

Lost may be rare, but they do get delayed, even on direct flights. We've had bags delayed to SLC and Big Sky for 36 hours. The Big Sky (BZN) flight was direct from Newark. We took off 55 minutes late because according to the captain "he wanted to make sure every piece of luggage got on board." When we arrived, there were 75 people without luggage.

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
Like others on this thread, I put my boots in my regular wheeled carryon along with my clothes. I put my helmet, computer, and iPad in my regular Transpack boot bag, which then compresses down to regulation size (and can fit either in the overhead of any plane or under the seat). Then I can use my boot bag as usual at my destination.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If the days of being allowed to cram a slightly larger bag in to "the box" were to end.. How many people would seriously consider wearing their boots from the gate on to the plane to avoid having to check their boot bag/boots?

CR...yer be'in silly again. Just carry yer boot on over your shoulder. First world problem solved. Next!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Regular wheelie carry on or even a Nike acg 30L ski/snowboard pack which perfectly fits a pair of boots top n tailed with enough room for a slim laptop and plastic bags of toiletries.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
CR...yer be'in silly again. Just carry yer boot on over your shoulder. First world problem solved. Next!
And your helmet on your head while you stuff the backpack/transpack/carry on bag in to the size box where it now fits without the boots or helmet in it.. You get one carry on and one personal item. Boots are one and the bag with gloves, socks, goggles, electronics, etc is the other.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Regular wheelie carry on or even a Nike acg 30L ski/snowboard pack which perfectly fits a pair of boots top n tailed with enough room for a slim laptop and plastic bags of toiletries.

Yep, this is how boots have to be to fit in the box.. L7 either in the bag or loosely in the box.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
This hotgear classic fits normal size jets - pencil jets goes in the rack on jetway or tarmac. Been doing this for years, issue free. Boots, shell, goggles helmet, gloves and a pair of socks. Even put a pair of shell pants one time on a tight connection - would have bet bags would have been "delayed".
IMG_0182.PNG

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I did a week at Big Sky this year with a 70 liter backpack, and my boots and helmet in an old Nordica boot bag. Somehow I hacked the system to check my skis for free, and I gate checked the backpack because it was a small jet. I left the laptop home, and I was really happy about that.

On big jets, I carry everything but my skis, and sometimes I rent skis.

dm

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this one, which I bought specifically because it works well for airline travel.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-DLX-Cargo-Pack-Tabor/dp/B01BUM58BW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The boots laying down sideways and the straps to cinch the bag down to a lower profile are what makes it work with the airline carry on restrictions (it fits in the carry on test frame when cinched down a little). For airline carry on, I can get in everything I need for a day of skiing except my helmet, plus an ipad, laptop, book, chargers, etc, cinch the bag down, and still pass the carry on test.

If you're not concerned about the carry on test, it still fits comfortably in most overheads fully expanded and with the helmet in it's compartment.

In addition to meeting all of the airline requirements, it carries pretty well with the boot weight being close to the wearer's back and the shoulder straps include a chest strap.

I have this bag and had no issues to/from Chile on United/Air Canada. Last week to SLC I was on smaller jets so I gate checked but because they are smaller they green tag them and deliver them back plane side rather than having to pick it up at baggage claim which I felt reduced the chance of loss enough that I was comfortable. If they'd required the gate check that delivers to the baggage claim I would have removed my boots and carried those on.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this bag and had no issues to/from Chile on United/Air Canada. Last week to SLC I was on smaller jets so I gate checked but because they are smaller they green tag them and deliver them back plane side rather than having to pick it up at baggage claim which I felt reduced the chance of loss enough that I was comfortable. If they'd required the gate check that delivers to the baggage claim I would have removed my boots and carried those on.

FWIW, I don't think where the bag gets delivered affects whether or not it gets lost or delayed really... I'd think the vast majority of baggage issues are caused when they are routed wrong in the first place, not when they are lost after getting to the proper destination. When I gate check, I'm pretty confident that it's getting on the plane with me. At that point I don't care if I have to pick it up plane-side or at baggage claim.