• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Bag Recommendations

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not looking for anything fancy, just a sturdy bag for my boots and gear. One would fit men's boots and men's shoulders, one would be for my wife.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Transpack style works well for me and my teenager kids. Can even get a helmet in the middle. Not good for air travel though.. Have to take the helmet out and rearange everything to fit/smash it in the this size only box at the gate

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We both have Kulkea backpacks. Me the boot trekker and the Mr has the powder trekker. Both hold everything plus the kitchen sink. Powder trekker is smaller but still has ample storage for all the important stuff. I'm pretty sure Jimmy Hoffa is hiding in the boot trekker somewhere, 2 large compartments that hold tons of stuff. Flying with them both in 10 days so I'll report back how they do in the overhead bins.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've got the Dakine Boot Locker bag, it's more a duffle style than backpack, I've used it for air trtavel. Boots are on the bottom, and I can usually pack the rest of my outerwear, helmets and layers in the upper compartment.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like my Dakine boot backpack. Boots go in the bottom together, with the helmet and goggles on top. So it's narrower than the usual transpack type with the boots separated. It may not hold quite as much (it's 50L) but plenty for me as I don't pack much in the way of clothes in it.

https://www.skis.com/Dakine-Boot-Pack-50L-Ski-Boot-Bag/478652P,default,pd.html

I usually have my boots, helmet, goggles, travel boot dryers, yak trax, 2 or 3 pairs of gloves, neoprene knee braces, balaclavas and neck gaiters, ski lock, water bottle, and maybe a couple other odds and ends.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
These boot backpacks fit in overhead compartments?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gotten mine I an overhead but it's tight - it needs to be a plane with large overhead spaces. And a few times I've had to gate check it.

Reactions: BMC

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Michael and I flew with our Kulkea boot bags last week. I have the boot trekker and Michael has the powder trekker. The only way I could get my boot trekker in the overhead bin was to take boots out which I ended up having to do. The powder trekker fit no problem in the overhead. I'm thinking of getting the powder trekker for flying and using the boot trekker for local trips.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've got the Dakine Boot Locker bag, it's more a duffle style than backpack, I've used it for air trtavel. Boots are on the bottom, and I can usually pack the rest of my outerwear, helmets and layers in the upper compartment.

The other nice thing about sling-strap style over and under bags is that one can, in a pinch, perfectly sensibly carry 2 boot bags AND 2 pairs of shouldered skis - completely unpossible with any of the backpack style bags.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The other nice thing about sling-strap style over and under bags is that one can, in a pinch, perfectly sensibly carry 2 boot bags AND 2 pairs of shouldered skis - completely unpossible with any of the backpack style bags.

I have on occasion loosened a backpack strap enough to wear it sling style while I had another backpack on. It kind of sucks, but worked in a pinch. Not really a good solution if that's your need though.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I normally use one of the triangular type bags for my boots and all the other "stuff", but since I know they have been a tight fight in overheads in the past I just ordered a sportube "overheader" bag, which will fit my boots and some necessary clothing and is sized for carry-on usage. I'll probably still bring the triangular bag for use at the resorts and save the new one just for travel

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve been using my Athlon boot everything bag for 6 years and over 35 ski days per year on average no visible wear on it even though I’ve stuffed 3 sets of boots and 3 people’s goggles in it many times. The bag will be good for man or woman and carry everything you need helmet gloves googles coats etc inside. I bet you could put your gear and wife’s into one bag.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I loved my Athalon bag. Had it for years. It ripped finally last season. Crap wait. That was my Dakine bag that ripped. I love my Athalon bag but it was big like my boot trekker so same issue. Great bag though, I have the plaid one. Still have it actually, it's in storage.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These boot backpacks fit in overhead compartments?
Most of the time we're able to use the overhead, unless the plane is small. So, I guess the answer is, depends.

Reactions: BMC

Sponsor