• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Bag Recommendations

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These boot backpacks fit in overhead compartments?

The Dakine boot pack mentioned above, yes, definitely.

On my trip to Jackson, I fit in boots, yak trax, all clothes needed to ski on day 1, googles, gloves, computer, iPad, chargers, book, and a few other things. I was able to cinch it down quite a bit even with all that in there. It was comfortably small enough to fit in the luggage size test thing, and had no issues fitting in the overhead storage.

Reactions: BMC

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I've got one of the backpacks that has the boots and helmet storage on the outside. I like it as I can fit more into the backpack than I can with the transpack triangle packs. Only downside is your boots can get wet if its precipitating. Also not ideal for air travel.

Got the Dakine 50L backpack for our trip to Utah. Seems a little big for carry on, but since its soft sided, I figure it should be able to squeeze it in the overhead so long as I don't over pack it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For airline travel, the Transpack Sidekick Pro is still one of my favorites but it comes at a cost. The backpack that carries your boots is very comfortable for walking the miles you seem to have to walk in the airport and it fits in the overhead compartment the best. But once you arrive at your destination I then am stuck with skiing with boots that are not toasty warm from my Kulkea Heated Trekker. If I have to travel via plane this year, I will use the Sidekick for travel, because I always carry my boots on. Then I will pack my heated bag with clothing ect so when I arrive, I can still have warm boots. This might be a bit extreme but we all have our needs.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have on occasion loosened a backpack strap enough to wear it sling style while I had another backpack on. It kind of sucks, but worked in a pinch. Not really a good solution if that's your need though.

You're right - which is why I never went with the pure boot backpack route. Especially when I figured out that my Timbuk2 messenger bag fits MP26 boots in an L7 shape and fits in overheads.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can confirm that the Dakine BOOT PACK 50L fits in Southwest's overhead on it's side. Just took it on a flight for the first time last weekend. It works well, I kinda think the Deluxe would be better for small personal items when travelling through the airport. But the regular 50L has a front pocket to store those things.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Each airline has their own carry-on size limits. One common limit is 22"x14"x9" No, most boot bags won't get past the boarding gate if the agents are checking. I've flown in the U.S., Canada, and Europe with my boots strapped together and slung over my shoulder. Not the most convenient, but that plus a roller carry-on bag and checked ski & boot bags carry all my stuff at minimal extra charge.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Or, alternatively, you could rig your actual ski pack...and have it at the destination without redundant packing.

521591_10200116755099061_163828825_n.jpg

(The helmet in the pic also has 2 laptops in it)