• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Bag Recommendation for Racer

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking for a new boot bag given I'm having to haul all my gear as well as some of my junior racer's stuff as well.

Currently using a Dakine Boot Locker type bag, it's big and things fit but being over the shoulder is getting old when schlepping multiple sets of skis and such to base lodge. I like the helmet to be carried inside the bag as well as the boots to be zipped up in their own compartments (not interested in the side carry for boots as I like to keep them warm and out of the elements).

I know there are a few options, but one of the big issues I have is that many tend not to be big enough to fit back armor without having to bend it...rather not have those VPD pads staying in that bent position if not required. That combined with inside helmet and boot carry limits options.

So far I see the Lange Racer Bag (Rossi Athlete Bag) or possibly the Atomic 68L bag to work. Transpack has the comp pro I read about here that would also do the job (tougher to get in Canada).

Sounds silly to ask about a boot bag, but curious given the number of masters racers and the like here what some thoughts might be.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is the Transpack Competition Pro Bag REViEW by @Jed Peters that you are referring to. The light gray inside was actually thought of and brought to Transpack by our own @James. Sync offers bags too, I am not sure if they are available in Canada though.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, I few of our athletes have the Sync bags (apparently they are equipping our provincial team, nationally as well I believe) Nice bag but the version I've seen has the outer boot holders. (I know they have a bigger version but haven't seen it).

Sounds like I should just go for the Lange/Rossi bag (depending on what colour way I want).

Appreciate the replies.

marc sheehan

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Industry Insider
So...not being too savy on Forum posts, here goes.

I would look highly recommend the SYNC Grande pack http://www.syncperformance.com/grande-pack-black.html for all of your equipment schlepping needs. The bag is designed with two Aluminum Vertical Stays in the frame so that it stands tall even when weighted down with boots, armor, 2 helmets, water bottles, back protectors, and the kitchen sink. This bag has seen several years of use by many high level USST and WC athletes and coaches and stood the test of time. In this bag you can fit 2 helmets, a full set of Shin and Arm Guards, Back Protector, Helmet, GS Suit, 2-3 pr of Goggles, and it even has a sleeve for a gate drill bit.

The SYNC Athlete bag is built just the same but is a bit smaller, does not have side pockets and generally fits better in an overhead compartment on a plane. The Locker Pack is our newest addition to the pack line and features an insulated bag to keep your boots toasty from the condo to the lodge. I am particularly fond of the Locker pack, as I can use it for my cycling needs in the offseason, as well as load it up with a good bottle of wine, some cheese, bread, salami, and other picnic needs and then head out for a date under the stars to listen to the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood in MA.

You can get this through anyone of our Canadian Retailers: http://www.syncperformance.com/sync-dealers or from Artech Ski http://www.artechski.com/brands/SYNC.html or direct from the SYNC website.

And there you have it folks my first Forum post! Only +4K more post to catch up to @pugski

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks Marc, I can't see/tell via the website, but does the Grande pack have separate internal boot compartments as well?
It doesn't specifically say on the website and the one photo shows a skier carrying her boots outside the bag (deal breaker for me).
I'd assume so given the size of bag, however I know other brands (e.g. POC) for some reason don't have it so it's nearly pointless given wet/snowy boots will make a mess of the rest of the gear.

Marc Preston

Marc P
Skier
I have a SRD Coach pack which is awesome. The new SRD (now SYNC) Grande is very similar but has less features and not as well finished but im sure is great. The Locker pack though looks much more boot specific. If my SRD ever wears out then maybe ill try the SYNC gear.

Marc Preston

Marc P
Skier
Thanks Marc, I can't see/tell via the website, but does the Grande pack have separate internal boot compartments as well?
It doesn't specifically say on the website and the one photo shows a skier carrying her boots outside the bag (deal breaker for me).
I'd assume so given the size of bag, however I know other brands (e.g. POC) for some reason don't have it so it's nearly pointless given wet/snowy boots will make a mess of the rest of the gear.

There are no internal boot pockets, but boots can fit inside. Racers almost always carry boots outside and liners inside.

TS
H

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks.
I realize most racers carry liners inside the bag and sling the shells over the bag. As somebody with very much racer fit boots it's nearly impossible for me to get my boots on when the plastic is cold. So dangling outside the pack is a no go as well as being a much bigger pain to deal with when hanging/clipped off the side or loose when travelling. (Smooth packs = easier to pack in the vehicles)

My personal opinion (and can be completely wrong) is that WC racers dangle them to show off gear sponsors or a combination of that and maybe not having enough room in their packs when liners are pulled and they are carrying everything but the kitchen sink. Given they aren't doing the 10min gear up and out onto the hill most of us like strive to do, cold shells also not a huge worry when you are in the lodge for 45-60mins before you get on snow.

I do appreciate the reply however. Looks like the Lange/Rossi Racer Bag/Athlete bag is going to be great for my needs.

Sponsor