• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Book lovers, please share your readings and favorites

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's get away from all this highbrow stuff.
Right now I've gone back to some old favorites and am re-reading the Sackett series of book by Louis L'Amour.
I agree that at time some of the "classic's" feel like a lit class. ( I'm looking at you Henry James). There is a time when I just want to hear a story. Good versus evil. Guy gets the girl. My grandfather loved westerns and I was given many by him. My back room bookshelf is filled with Louis L'Amour. Some of his non-western stuff is good also. Question; favorite Sackett?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Some of us like to read challenging material. It surprises me that some have complained about it. I wonder why?

Not a complaint. Just an observation. Lots of people might feel intimidated by the books on the first few pages.

Beach reading is just perfect for me right now, even without a beach.

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Different strokes for different folks.

I read as passionately as I ski 100+ days a season, alpine/xc/bc play/teach/train/patrol. There's plenty of room here for all levels of skiers for however many days, just like readers of all genres.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I read in different modes. Some just quick easy read, some serious. The serious stuff can be fun if you are in the right mood.

A recent book in the fun easy read category: "Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan. I think it came into my awareness because of the TV show or movie based on it. I haven't seen it, but I think a review must have caught my eye.

Its a science-fiction-noir-detective story.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I read in different modes. Some just quick easy read, some serious. The serious stuff can be fun if you are in the right mood.

A recent book in the fun easy read category: "Altered Carbon" by Richard K. Morgan. I think it came into my awareness because of the TV show or movie based on it. I haven't seen it, but I think a review must have caught my eye.

Its a science-fiction-noir-detective story.

I've watched the series. Dark stuff. Interesting, though ... I didn't realize it was based on a book!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've watched the series. Dark stuff. Interesting, though ... I didn't realize it was based on a book!
Is it well made? Worth watching?
There's a whole series of books ... I've only read the first one, but I'm planning to get the next one.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is it well made? Worth watching?
There's a whole series of books ... I've only read the first one, but I'm planning to get the next one.

It's been a while, but it was good enough that we kept watching it. Had a bit of a Bladerunner feel.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hyeonseo Lee's Girl with Seven Names was amazing. Like Sea Wife for @

I'm about halfway through this book, and I can't put it down. Something about the factual way she describes life in North Korea, and then the aftermath. Simply, powerfully told. And hurting our parents in ways we couldn't think through as children and terms.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've started rereading REAMDE (title not misspelled) by Neal Stephenson. The start is a little disorienting (not in the usual way - you just get all these random hints about the POV character, but not a clear picture), but it gets pretty crazy quickly. Nice long book, as most of NS's are. I'm not sure how penetrable it would be to someone not familiar with various nerdy technologies, but I am loving it (again).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've started rereading REAMDE (title not misspelled) by Neal Stephenson. The start is a little disorienting (not in the usual way - you just get all these random hints about the POV character, but not a clear picture), but it gets pretty crazy quickly. Nice long book, as most of NS's are. I'm not sure how penetrable it would be to someone not familiar with various nerdy technologies, but I am loving it (again).

I love that book! Crazy plot twists....

Did you read the "System of the World" triology? I think that was the only Stephenson I'd give a mixed review to. Individual chunks were great stand-alone stories, but it didn't hold together as a total work. When I finished the third book, I said to myself, "well, that was a fun read."
But then a day or two later, I said "wait a minute, what did that have to do with the business in the first third of the first book? None of this ties back to that! Where did Isaac Newton go?"

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
On the life adventures, "Once is enough" by Miles Smeeton is/was amazing. The story of how three sailors on a 46ft yacht in the pre-GPS, pre-electronics days of the dark ages (1956) were turned-turtle by a freak wave and dismasted in the Southern Ocean between New Zealand and Cape Horn ... and survived. They made it to land, repaired the boat and two of them went out again ... and the same thing happened again. For a longer biography of these extraordinary people, "High Endeavours: the extraordinary life and adventures of Miles & Beryl Smeeton" by Miles Clark.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I love that book! Crazy plot twists....

Did you read the "System of the World" triology? I think that was the only Stephenson I'd give a mixed review to. Individual chunks were great stand-alone stories, but it didn't hold together as a total work. When I finished the third book, I said to myself, "well, that was a fun read."
But then a day or two later, I said "wait a minute, what did that have to do with the business in the first third of the first book? None of this ties back to that! Where did Isaac Newton go?"

I tried. I really tried. I technically did read every page of like 2.5 of the books, but I eventually realized I had no idea who the characters were, what they were doing, why it all mattered ... so I gave up. I just didn't care about any of it.

I'm sure that's not the only time I've ever given up on a book, but it's extremely rare.

Sponsor

Staff online