• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bontrager GR1 and new R3 tires.... calling Tom

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I saw the new GR1 gravel tires today and hopefully, on August 20th, I will be trying them out. really impressed with the design, look and feel of these. I will be rolling on the 40's which (thank you Bontrager) should seat up at just about 40mm :). In looking at the new R3 road tire's which are designed and tested for real riding conditions; tested at real world PSI's and on a flat treadmill (yes, I'm looking at you BRR) may be rolling on my Emonda too.,

@Tom K. can you contribute anything to this very important thread? :).

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'lli now better tomorrow but fingers and toes crossed. In the meantime, I've been re-designing my Moots to keep me sane.... Pics coming next week for the official unveiling. :).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the new GR1 gravel tires today and hopefully, on August 20th, I will be trying them out. really impressed with the design, look and feel of these. I will be rolling on the 40's which (thank you Bontrager) should seat up at just about 40mm :). In looking at the new R3 road tire's which are designed and tested for real riding conditions; tested at real world PSI's and on a flat treadmill (yes, I'm looking at you BRR) may be rolling on my Emonda too.,

@Tom K. can you contribute anything to this very important thread? :).

Nope, sorry!

Been happily running GR2s on my Procaliber for rugged gravel riding, and the Checkpoint is fitted with the OEM Schwalbe G-One 35s for mixed riding.

Both are great, though the Schwalbes wear quickly in the rear.

Note: Since "retirement" from oh-too-serious amateur endurance racing, I've really embraced a Just Ride My Bike approach. Far less analytical about this kind of stuff than was previously the case.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Note: Since "retirement" from oh-too-serious amateur endurance racing, I've really embraced a Just Ride My Bike approach. Far less analytical about this kind of stuff than was previously the case

Yeah but that gives me something to do :roflmao:

FWIW Checkpoints (at least at the higher end, Sl6) are now OEM with the gr1 40’s.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I thought I would add this video on the creation of the tires. I really like the approach to the testing which abandoned the ridiculous steel wheel for rolling resistance tests and the use of various surfaces vs just smooth which really evaluates a tires performance on real road conditions. As you know, a tire performs much differently once its on rougher, irregular surfaces than smooth surfaces or galvanized steel. :).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I would add this video on the creation of the tires. I really like the approach to the testing which abandoned the ridiculous steel wheel for rolling resistance tests and the use of various surfaces vs just smooth which really evaluates a tires performance on real road conditions. As you know, a tire performs much differently once its on rougher, irregular surfaces than smooth surfaces or galvanized steel. :).

Thanks, Ron. That is really enlightening. I admit to coming to Bonty tires a bit reluctantly........then grew to absolutely love them. Most of my experience is with the XR/SE mtb line. They have the best and most forgiving "feel" of the traction limit that I've ever experienced. It now looks like their road tires are also swinging for the fences.

Sidebar: Late in the video is perhaps the most off-spec use of a Fox X2 air shock that I've ever seen. Awesome sauce.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, I have never rode them but that video really convinced me to give them a try. that treadmill approach is pure genius and is how CRR should be tested. I wish Trek would publish some of their results but I'm willing to give them a try. I need a set of 28's and my LBS is getting in the new R3's at "some point" so hopefully, they come in in the next 3 weeks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should get a set on my new Domane, especially since I keep putting off pulling the trigger.

Too much mtb focus right now!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Tom, it appears though that Trek has chosen to only produce the 32 in tubeless ready ???? WTF, I don't understand that one at all. Guarantee, this will be a huge FAIL for Trek if thats the case. WOW!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom, it appears though that Trek has chosen to only produce the 32 in tubeless ready ???? WTF, I don't understand that one at all. Guarantee, this will be a huge FAIL for Trek if thats the case. WOW!

Agree that's odd, but it's VERY early days for this line of tires. I don't think they're done yet!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Agree that's odd, but it's VERY early days for this line of tires. I don't think they're done yet!

unfortunately when you come of the box in your marketing with basically an old technology (tubed road is fast on its way out even in the pro circuit) people look at this and move on.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
What's wrong with tubeless ready?

nothing, that's what it should be but Trek is releasing the 23's (I wouldn't even bother) 25's and 28's as clinchers and NOT tubeless ready. Tubeless ready is preferable over "tubeless" which technically is over engineered and still requires sealant. Continental's new 5000 Tubeless is classic. 340 grams for a 28. totally overbuilt tire and still requires sealant.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Ah, I see, so the skinny ones are not TR. I use old over engineered Hutchinson's and they will hold air for years without sealant!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ah, I see, so the skinny ones are not TR. I use old over engineered Hutchinson's and they will hold air for years without sealant!

its not that they hold air, its that all tires that dont use a tube require sealant in order to seal up punctures. it doesn't matter if they are tubeless ready or "tubeless" rated. all of my tires are setup tubeless but all require Orange sealant. the term "tubeless" is a tire that can hold air without a tube. it doesn't have anything to do with its ability to withstand/seal punctures, this is the main benefit in addition to the ability to run your tires at much lower PSI's. note: ETRTO still has not set the official standards if IRRC.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The "Road Tubeless" Hutchinsons that I have been using for like 10 years don't need sealant. I carry a little canister with a CO2/sealant in it for punctures, but never use it. I guess there is now a UST road standard - I really don't understand how it has taken so long. I guess nobody wanted to run 320g tires and would rather run a 200g tire with a 100g tube.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The "Road Tubeless" Hutchinsons that I have been using for like 10 years don't need sealant. I carry a little canister with a CO2/sealant in it for punctures, but never use it. I guess there is now a UST road standard - I really don't understand how it has taken so long. I guess nobody wanted to run 320g tires and would rather run a 200g tire with a 100g tube.

your tire still requires sealant to seal up punctures.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think I misinterpreted your comment. Maybe clarify what you would prefer?

For me, I'm happy with 28c and tubes for pure road, and 32c and up tubeless for mixed and pure gravel.

There are only so many sets of tubeless tires/wheels I want to be spinning around during the off-season, when I could be harvesting pow!

Side Note: @Erik Timmerman, let Ron and I know when you get a flat, since you have cursed yourself with that 10 year statement above. Also, I helped a friend fix a flat on one of those early Hutchinson tubeless tires. It took two men, a boy, and a monkey -- and it still took us 20 minutes since the leak was such that insertion of a tube was required. Tough remounting. CRAZY tough!

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor

Staff online