• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Bonneville Shoreline Trail Hike, Holladay, Utah

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With the virus crisis shutting down all ski areas in Utah, I've had to look for some alternate ways to enjoy the great outdoors this spring. Today I took a two hour hike with @Daniel and @P-Ute. It was a 3-4 mile (total) out and back hike starting at the Mt. Olympus trail head near Holladay, UT. I'm a pretty inexperienced hiker and Daniel was nice enough to lead us on a mild pace. We climbed up a steep section of the Mt. Olympus Trail for several hundred vertical feet and then headed north along the Bonneville Shoreline Trail for a mile or two to an area called Olympus Cove. The weather was around 50 degs and partly cloudy when we started at mid-day, but warmed to about 55 degs and got sunny by the time we finished. There was no rain and it was excellent hiking weather!
The toughest part of the hike was the first 20 minutes climbing above a cliff called Pete's Rock.
olympic cove hike 30mar2020 climbing up.jpg
Once we got to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail we started following the contour of the mountains and things leveled nicely. The scenery of the Salt Lake Valley was off the charts. L-R: P-Ute and Daniel.
olympic cove leveling off.jpg
Downtown Salt Lake City is to the left in this photo and about ten miles to the north.
olympic cove bonneville shoreline trail rocky.jpg
I think we were hiking at about 6,000' elevation and from that height we could clearly see the Great Salt Lake about 20 miles to the west.
olympic cove view of great salt lake.jpg
We turned around at this spot above the Olympus Cove neighborhood. The trail was getting snowy and messy here.
olympic cove view.jpg
A last look west before heading down to our starting spot at the Mt. Olympus trail head on Wasatch Blvd.
olympic cove hike above pete's rock.jpg
A selfie looking down valley to the south. Nice day guys!
olympic cove selfie looking south down sl valley.jpg