• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hunker down Colorado. The storm coming in today is a rare "bomb cyclone".
See this KUSA article

Snip from article:
KUSA - Did the phrase “bomb cyclone” get your attention? No, it’s not a term made up just to scare people on the internet.

In fact, it’s an actual scientific phenomenon that is the aftermath of another fun word: “bombogenesis.” The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration describes this as a “popular term that describes a midlatitude cyclone that rapidly intensifies.”

Another article from the Denver Post

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here’s a site where you can track whether it’s officially a bomb cyclone.

http://isitabombcyclone.com/
Well, there you have it. Lots of media hype.
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 7.43.35 AM.png

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's what normally happens with the NorEasters on the East Coast. They started throwing the word around a few years ago like it was something new. Colorado is getting a big snow storm, enjoy ...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's what normally happens with the NorEasters on the East Coast. They started throwing the word around a few years ago like it was something new. Colorado is getting a big snow storm, enjoy ...

Yes, but this is extremely rare in Colorado because we don’t have a large water mass.

The storm actually has to hit first. :)

It’s been raining heavily since around 5:30 this morning and now the temperature is dropping.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I was scheduled to be leaving Driggs ID today bound for I-80 East, hoping to make Sidney NE before dark. I don't think we would have made it. We paid for another night at the Teton Valley Cabins. I hope the drunk couple next door leave today because I may have to kill them tonight if they don't STFU.

Still, it's better than sleeping in the lobby of a Super 8 motel with 45 other fellow travelers.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It is DUMPING at my house. :drool::drool::drool:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Power coming and going. Windy AF. :eek::eek::eek:

It just got REAL

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh no, a spring snowstorm!!!!

Wait, isn't there one every year?!

Seriously, didn't I read that there is some ski area group trying to get media weather outlets to tone down the hype? That it's hurting business?

I wish that a dire snowstorm would reduce skier numbers at Mt. Hood Meadows. Quite the opposite.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Damn the news is crazy about the Bomb Cyclone this morning.
Stay safe out there.
CNN report
*What's really crazy is that we experienced this kind of weather at Mammoth last month, but I don't recall them saying it was a bomb cyclone.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That looks peaceful :D

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I was out in it for a while yesterday and today. All I can say is "They had this big panic and closed everything for this?"

Sponsor

Staff online