• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
When I saw this headline it just shocked me. I have wished Bode the best in any effort I watched him attempt and to learn of such a trajedy to strike someone I admire it really saddens me. I pray for him and his family.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We moved to Orange County for a couple of years, when kids were 3 months and 3 years old. RB went out to find a house without me, and my main instructions were "No pool." With little kids, I was absolutely scared to death of them. Our neighbors had a pool, and it was locked up all the time; luckily they also had a 3yo, so they were vigilant, but it doesn't always matter. Doesn't take much with a mischievous toddler.

My boy is 3 and he just learned to back float and climb out of the pool on his own this weekend. I mean, he'd sink like a stone still if he were on his own. Just tragic...scares the heck out of me when we're in the lake..dark water..hard to spot things under the water..lifejacket is on whenever he's near the water just in case. So very hard for them I can't imagine.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a blow hard to take. The Miller's suffered a terrible loss, I wish them the strength to get through this. Years ago Billy Johnson and his wife lost a child due the same circumstances. Just terrible for the families

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Absolutely horrible. My heart goes out to the Miller family.

I grew up around pools and we were all forced to take Life Saving courses at the Y as soon as we turned 12. All my life I've been involved in water activities to include being a PADI SCUBA instructor, Life Guard and being Combat Water Safety Swiimer (or something like that - it was about 25 years ago) in the Marines and managed 3 base pools.

My wife always pointed out that whenever we're around water I can't relax. It's because little kids scare the crap out of me and with all the education I've had on pool/water safety, we still had two near misses with my own kids. Once when my son was 2 1/2 at my parents house and once when my youngest daughter was about 3 1/2 at a lake. We were fortunate that they were only scares. This is also why I used to always have a recurring nightmare about being on a cruise with the family and not being able so save everyone.

28 years of marriage and I still refuse to take them on a cruise.

Prayers to the Miller family.

Ken

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The news story that accompanied the release of the 911 call say that Bode was not present at the time of the drowning. Not that this is important, just another piece of news.
If you listen to the 911 call, there is some good information about what to do if you're ever in this situation.
911 Call and news story

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@4ster I think its incredible that they're using the $$ from gofundme to set up an education for child drowning.
In the 911 tape that was released, it was clear that the adults who were present were either too frazzled to do mouth to mouth, or weren't sure how to do it.
The information from the 911 personnel: "If there is a pulse, don't do CPR" was something that I wouldn't have thought of in a crisis.

I haven't done any CPR or first aid training of any kind in nearly 10 years. I feel a sudden urge to get a refresher.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I haven't done any CPR or first aid training of any kind in nearly 10 years. I feel a sudden urge to get a refresher.
We have people at work who will come around and do demos of the auto defib devices and CPR. Mostly I got thinking about it after one of the guys had a mild heart event while playing hockey. I mean, in a crisis, can you keep your head and do it if you've never done it before? So training leads to automatic response hopefully. We have defib devices in a lot of public buildings now, so if you've done it, even on a dummy (not me!) then at least you're that much further ahead when the time comes. Hey, could be my life they save.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Update on Bode's family water awareness with kids.

Last edited:

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so tragic, as someone with seven grandkids I could never imagine that loss, condolences to the miller family.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
so tragic, as someone with seven grandkids I could never imagine that loss, condolences to the miller family.
Hi Drewski.
This thread was originally from two years ago. It was bumped beause the Millers have 7 month old twins and they are sharing their passion for teaching infants water survival.
They are doing good things.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I missed the original post,glad to hear that some good things happened after that tragedy. Island living got me

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I guess I missed the original post,glad to hear that some good things happened after that tragedy. Island living got me

Thanks for bring this up. I knew about the tragedy at the time but had forgot about it.

Sponsor

Staff online