• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Miller Joins Crosson Ski

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just some of the replies here show that for the most part, readers here are not the market for uber premium brands, look at the Monaco Grand Prix, then look at the Yachts in the bay, that will give you an idea. There are people who pay prices for things that have two digits to the left of the comma that common folk like is might pay hundreds for. I am not talking rich or even wealth, but generational wealth.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many years back, an acquaintance of mine bought a smokehouse. It was going out of business trying to sell sausages, smoked meat and cheese products, etc. I asked him how he was going to make any profit if he lowered prices to get more business. He looked at me like I was nuts. "Lower prices??? Why would I do that? That's dumb," he said. "I'm gonna triple them!"
Sure enough, he did and within a year he was making money hand over fist. Same product, just priced at "super premium" retail market.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bringing this back to Bodie and his signing with Crosson, i’m not sure what to make of it other than they probably waived a sweet endorsement check in his face and or bomber wasn’t getting their money’s worth from bode who ?
Either way I don’t think the Ski endorsement deals are keeping him afloat here in big sky. As an ambassador for a YC and BS I’m sure thats a bigger paycheck for him than any ski company deal.
Anyone here remember Scott Schmidt or what relevance he still has to the sport ? He lives a pretty cush life here as well by those who still want to be like him and ski with him.
The Yellowstone club, where they both ski and play, dubbed the worlds only private ski and golf IMO will sell quite a few of boutique branded equipment if that’s what bode is skiing - My guess will be a sizable share of the us market .

Bet I can score some cheap bombers now !

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t know who people think is a well known skier if you think Bode isn’t. I doubt people buying these skis watch the latest ski video.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
There are at least two dozen people on PugSki (probably more) I would rather spend a day skiing with than Bode Miller, and whose advice on skis I'd rather hear -- and that's not a knock on Bode as a skier, ski racer or person.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would love to spend half a day skiing with Bode. Seriously I think he is amazing. He is so down to earth in an arogant way. I think he should not get involved with some elitist ski when he could be working with the masses. I love that guy.

I don't thing that it will last long.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the shapes Crosson is offering I'd think they'd be looking for a well known all-mountain/big-mountain type endorser. If the offered some full bore carving skis, then Bode makes sense. I'm sure Bode can ski whatever wherever but he's definitely more known in the go fast turn hard world.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bringing this back to Bodie and his signing with Crosson, i’m not sure what to make of it other than they probably waived a sweet endorsement check in his face and or bomber wasn’t getting their money’s worth from bode who ?
Either way I don’t think the Ski endorsement deals are keeping him afloat here in big sky. As an ambassador for a YC and BS I’m sure thats a bigger paycheck for him than any ski company deal.
Anyone here remember Scott Schmidt or what relevance he still has to the sport ? He lives a pretty cush life here as well by those who still want to be like him and ski with him.
The Yellowstone club, where they both ski and play, dubbed the worlds only private ski and golf IMO will sell quite a few of boutique branded equipment if that’s what bode is skiing - My guess will be a sizable share of the us market .

Bet I can score some cheap bombers now !
Do you ever see him hanging out around Big Sky?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just some of the replies here show that for the most part, readers here are not the market for uber premium brands, look at the Monaco Grand Prix, then look at the Yachts in the bay, that will give you an idea. There are people who pay prices for things that have two digits to the left of the comma that common folk like is might pay hundreds for. I am not talking rich or even wealth, but generational wealth.

But a yacht or a supercar or a palace or a private island or a megaranch is something you can show off, host people lend friends and contacts the use of etc. Sure, if they are megarich then the pricetag doesn't matter on the skis but you either have to work hard on the convincing they are the absolute creme de la creme or that they will make a tangible improvement. Otherwise just get the PA's PA to have a pair of top flight freshly tuned demos up on deck

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But a yacht or a supercar or a palace or a private island or a megaranch is something you can show off, host people lend friends and contacts the use of etc. Sure, if they are megarich then the pricetag doesn't matter on the skis but you either have to work hard on the convincing they are the absolute creme de la creme or that they will make a tangible improvement. Otherwise just get the PA's PA to have a pair of top flight freshly tuned demos up on deck
But these people don't limit the extravagant purchases to just the yacht, it is everything they purchase to complete their lifestyle...including skis. I would gather most of these people would sooner spend $10K on a pair of Zai skis and ski them out of the wrapper than a perfectly tuned pair of Volkls, Kaestle or Augments which very well would ski much better.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tricia - was there when there was a welcome party and bumped into Bode at a short film movie festival here in town last year, nice enough guy. Only had a few words with him before a buddy of mine gave him grief about one of his crashes - can’t take Robbie anywhere!

Bode is also the pace setter at the YC club and from what I hear he took a good crash there to. Lots of posers there but a few members can really, really ski.
I don't think he’s irrelevant by any means, still wish he was commentating ski racing, I always thought he was better at that than racing.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Skis are sort of diminishing returns as prices go up, and skis just don't hide the suck like a Turbo Carrera or Ferrari does driving 40 on the strip. Even 'fast' grand prix sailing yachts are rarely driven by their owners unless they're just out for a tool around. Now if a premium ski has a list of palmares, then maybe.... sort of like yacht designers. Everyone at the top of the heap wants a Mark Mills designed boat, or residences designed by star architects. Or simply their own ski hill or a more exclusive resort accessed by private jet with booked instructors/guides/ hill concierges at a minimum. Now if their instructor/guide pushes them, they might buy in. Maybe. Stockli has always done pretty well at the YC. I'm sure Scot Schmidt has something to do with that as well.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I don’t know who people think is a well known skier if you think Bode isn’t. I doubt people buying these skis watch the latest ski video.

The general skiing public in the US doesn't know any retired racers or free skiers other than maybe Lindsey, and give her a few years and she'll be forgotten too unless she gets involved more seriously in broadcasting... maybe Hockey Night in America? :)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have never heard of Crosson skis, likely due to their niche market extremely high cost. My guess is that the typical Crosson ski buyer is not a former ski racer, does not follow ski racing, and might only have a vague idea who Bode Miller is and no idea what he has accomplished in the ski racing world.

I see no real value for Crosson Skis having Miller on board. Do they plan on coming out with the Bode Miller Signature Ski (de-tuned race ski), for huge dollars, that no one will buy?

I am thinking that a Hollywood celeb who is a skier, like Bruce Willis, would make for a better spokesman for Crosson than Miller.
Yes, if it's supposed to be about business.

Unless there is something fun going on; for instance, one or more of the following kinds of things: one of Miller's best friends was already involved just for fun; they (those in the company or friends of Miller's already into the company) really hit it off together, had an adventure; or something about one or more ski models really "wowed" Miller on the snow; or they modified a ski or skis for him, then modified them again at his suggestions, then added an ongoing plan for ski development that sounded fun; with good, free skis, good for a laugh, etc. - where at least Bode just wanted to ski those puppies, whatever the process that got him on them.

Like the way he trained jumping from river rock to river rock as a way to develop balance and reflexes, and who knew that would translate to championship ski racing?

Spontaneous.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's a strange story, not impossible but you'd think there might be some very complex contractual issues, mind you there were comeback problems with Head so....
  • The ski 'type' seems very un-Bode, as pointed out wide-ish twin tips. As others have pointed out he'd look pretty decent on a set of 1970s Fischer C4s but you'd presumably want to leverage his 'leave narrow tracks'
  • He's still lurking on the Bomber site [offering some 'ski with' experiences, albeit pre covid]
  • They have a clothing deal with Kjus - Crosson [photos are terrible], he still has [I think] a relationship with Aztech clothing [he s on page 1 of the site]. Again see preceding re contracts, but if I was paying him to be on the skis I'd want him in the threads too...
Could they have signed him, sure, good investment, depends on the cost. If these guys* are dripping in money they buy Bomber - gives them race and narrow tracks tech and an entry/production in the EU market. Bode gets a nice cheque and solves the contractual issues. No knowledge of this - just a thought.

*Lot of words about what they do but not much about who they are

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bode Miller= the Elon Musk of skiing.
Given his past history, I keep an open mind when he signs on to a 'new adventure."

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
IIRC a guy named Ken Crosson was and employee of RD skis when they were still hand made in Sun Valley. He was a Telemarker and had his own model called the Norpine. I believe all the models originally were lightweight focused with a proprietary core.

I wonder if current Crosson Skis is associated with him.

Sponsor

Staff online