• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Miller Joins Crosson Ski

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The owners have very deep pockets.... not Bill Gates deep, and maybe a bit less deep having signed Bode, but..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmmmm
dd34c06d80ccecbd2065f670577f4e5e-sticker.png

Sabi by Zai
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 7.24.27 AM.png
img_2023-jpg.998

James

Out There
Instructor
Well VIST had a line of ridiculously expensive clothing. Much more be seen fashion related than say Mountain Force.

Honestly, these boutique vanity projects are a depressing commentary on the state of society. Even if some involved do good work.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well VIST had a line of ridiculously expensive clothing. Much more be seen fashion related than say Mountain Force.

Honestly, these boutique vanity projects are a depressing commentary on the state of society. Even if some involved do good work.

Oh, can we talk about super yachts?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing is one of the few "lifestyle" activities that has not capitalized let alone embraced the premium let alone super premium market demographics and whenever someone tried, they stumbled over their own feet. Carridan and Bomber to name two. @Bob Barnes and I designed a program years ago and proposed it to hart, IMHO, I still think it could be successful if a company has the foresight to get it going.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Given Bode's lack of concern what others think, converting his prior success into cash now isn't really all that surprising. I say go for it. I never made it to his level, but if I had, I'd want to squeeze as much out of the hard work and effort put into being a world class racer into some ka-ching.

'Bode who?' SMH He had us on the edge of our seats pitting his body and talents against the hill. SMH

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Given Bode's lack of concern what others think, converting his prior success into cash now isn't really all that surprising. I say go for it. I never made it to his level, but if I had, I'd want to squeeze as much out of the hard work and effort put into being a world class racer into some ka-ching.

'Bode who?' SMH He had us on the edge of our seats pitting his body and talents against the hill. SMH
I guess I should have added a sarcasm emoji. I just do not think he is going to move the needle in ski sales with a premium, limited market brand. Maybe they will actually increase the price and Bode will ski with you if you buy a pair. I could see that appealing to the uber rich.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I guess I should have added a sarcasm emoji. I just do not think he is going to move the needle in ski sales with a premium, limited market brand. Maybe they will actually increase the price and Bode will ski with you if you buy a pair. I could see that appealing to the uber rich.
Thanks for that. :beercheer: I wouldn't disagree that Bode has fallen off the map in terms of non-racer recognition.

As a racer that spent a good part of my youth getting to the WC, I am perhaps overly sensitive. :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the thing, the potential buyers who would be influenced by Bode's endorsement or involvement in a product tend to be those who follow ski racing. This does not necessarily matter to people who buy niche market ultra-premium skis as status symbols because they can.

No knock against Bode, but does he really have that kind of cache, simply because he's bad-ass?
I guess we'll find out. Again.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have never heard of Crosson skis, likely due to their niche market extremely high cost. My guess is that the typical Crosson ski buyer is not a former ski racer, does not follow ski racing, and might only have a vague idea who Bode Miller is and no idea what he has accomplished in the ski racing world.

I see no real value for Crosson Skis having Miller on board. Do they plan on coming out with the Bode Miller Signature Ski (de-tuned race ski), for huge dollars, that no one will buy?

I am thinking that a Hollywood celeb who is a skier, like Bruce Willis, would make for a better spokesman for Crosson than Miller.
I'll go against the grain and say that having Bode sign on has already helped spread the word about these skis.

As to how many skis will they sell at that price, I'll also take the road less travelled. There are people who may not be able to afford a super car (or even afford the insurance on one), but can afford a super ski, and have their priorities set so that they are willing to spend a few times what other skis cost to get one that really delivers the goods promised. Whether these skis deliver on the promise remains to be seen, but the self-description tells me the Imperium could be just what I'm looking for in an all-mountain ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
Leaving Head in the way he did left a lot on the table he’d never get back. He could left anyway after a couple years and gone to these obscure brands.

Maybe there’s a difference in his head, but schilling for Full Tilt, Bomber, or this latest outfit is no different than Head. Hardly pioneering.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I don't say "Bode who?" but I do think that retired racers like him and Lindsey Vonn and Daron Rahlves, and Marcel Hirsher, and...(name the retired racer) need to find ways to stay relevant, and I think this move to another brand is something that may help him stay relevant if he's not finding it where he is.

I do think he and his wife are staying extremely relevant in the general public.
In a conversation with my sister, who watches the Today Show regularly, I realized she is hyper aware of Bode and his wife Morgan because of their activism with child water safety awareness.
She has pointed out a few episodes to me including the one about their Feed the Front Line project during the pandemic.
Bode and Morgan Miller talk live about their 'Feed the Front ...www.today.com › video › bode-and-morgan-miller-talk-l...

Bode and Morgan are on the Today Show a lot, which is one way they are staying relevant in the general public. They are doing a lot of good.

Bode and Morgan Miller teach baby son to swim after ...www.today.com › video › bode-and-morgan-miller-teach...

Bode Miller and wife Morgan announce birth of their twins ...www.today.com › video › bode-miller-and-wife-morgan-...

Bode Miller and Morgan Miller introduce their new twins on ...www.today.com › video › bode-miller-and-morgan-mille...

Bode Miller and Morgan Miller share adorable ... - Today Showwww.today.com › video › bode-miller-and-morgan-mille...

Bode Miller and his family urge parents to teach ... - Today Showwww.today.com › video › bode-miller-and-his-family-ur...

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Skiing is one of the few "lifestyle" activities that has not capitalized let alone embraced the premium let alone super premium market demographics and whenever someone tried, they stumbled over their own feet. Carridan and Bomber to name two. @Bob Barnes and I designed a program years ago and proposed it to hart, IMHO, I still think it could be successful if a company has the foresight to get it going.

I thought the Yellowstone club filled that order.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think there is a fundamental problem with the idea of super premium skis. Top end premium skis from say Kaestle and Stoekli have a market sure but when the whole range is superpremium and doesn't have a specific purpose, which I'm prepared to believe Augment does for now ( though I don't know how many will be flowed out on pro-form compared to full MRSP).

I've no idea what's gone down at Bomber but I think there are plenty of wealthy people who love skiing but are prepared to invest in a quiver of what suits them but the problem is whether the superpremium ski really delivers? It doesn't get you better snow, stronger quads or really kudos on the lift or outside the lodge/private dining cabin because most people aren't even looking at what others are skiing. And if they are and know what you're on it's 50/50 whether they are thinking you have exquisite taste or more money than sense. That's different from supercars or even bike exotica where enthusiasts lust after the rarest/highest end.

I know the tech heads will say it buys you "refinement" but refinement doesn't actually come from your skis it comes from your ability to use them. 99% of us aren'y getting the full performance out of out skis on every turn anyway. If we're then saying it makes users think they are better because the skis are better then fine but that's just window dressing. And FWIW I'm definitely in the "you can buy a turn" camp I'm just sceptical you can buy a much better turn for $2k than you can for $800.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think there is a fundamental problem with the idea of super premium skis. Top end premium skis from say Kaestle and Stoekli have a market sure but when the whole range is superpremium and doesn't have a specific purpose, which I'm prepared to believe Augment does for now ( though I don't know how many will be flowed out on pro-form compared to full MRSP).

I've no idea what's gone down at Bomber but I think there are plenty of wealthy people who love skiing but are prepared to invest in a quiver of what suits them but the problem is whether the superpremium ski really delivers? It doesn't get you better snow, stronger quads or really kudos on the lift or outside the lodge/private dining cabin because most people aren't even looking at what others are skiing. And if they are and know what you're on it's 50/50 whether they are thinking you have exquisite taste or more money than sense. That's different from supercars or even bike exotica where enthusiasts lust after the rarest/highest end.

I know the tech heads will say it buys you "refinement" but refinement doesn't actually come from your skis it comes from your ability to use them. 99% of us aren'y getting the full performance out of out skis on every turn anyway. If we're then saying it makes users think they are better because the skis are better then fine but that's just window dressing. And FWIW I'm definitely in the "you can buy a turn" camp I'm just sceptical you can buy a much better turn for $2k than you can for $800.
For me the draw of a super car or super (motor) bike is not lusting after the rarest/highest end. It IS the performance. It's all about power and control. I lust after the power and torque. I want to feel the acceleration as I redline through the gears with the bike trying to rip my arms out of thier sockets and testing my finger strength and endurance. I long for the feeling of acceleration as I'm nailing the apex of a tight corner. I like to impress myself with the feeling of ultimate control as I feel the feedback from the tires that are slipping just so and respond perfectly to my adjustments. Although, in my less athletic and somewhat (a tiny bit) wiser dotage I admit I think I would rather have a 2021 Katana than GSXR or Hyabusa.
For a ski, I also lust after power and control. I want to feel instant response and perfect control, on a ski that provide a reassuring presence and stability at high speeds; I want a ski that "can do it all and has no speed limit". Since that's not quite possible with bikes (steering geometry compromises) or skis (sidecut and shape compromises), I'll take the best I can get, if I can afford it (even if it means I won't have enough money left over for the Katana).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Former WC and Olympic champ and current Canadian Senator, Nancy Green is Director of Skiing at Sun Peaks. When she is not in Ottawa on Senatorial business she offers free "Ski with Nancy" tours around the mountain. @David Chaus video taped a tour a number of years ago.

Anyways, if I was Miller or other famous retired ski racer (this is right up your ally Lindsay Vonn) I would look into holding "Ski With Bode Week" several times a year at CMH, Mike Weigele, or other heli ski operator. Charge the well heeled guests a premium and it becomes a great post race career gig.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
For me the draw of a super car or super (motor) bike is not lusting after the rarest/highest end. It IS the performance.

To be honest I was thinking pedal bikes. The Pinarello Dogma has become a status symbol amongst city boys these days. But you might be making my point anyway - you can get all the performance you desire out of a regular motorbike brand or mainstream ski co. I find it hard to believe that the sort of money required to get on some ex raceroom stock (perhaps lightly used) isn't the maximum you need to spend for the ultimate in precision and refinement and that's more than enough for almost any skier out there. And if it isn't someone is giving you skis at a major hookup level anyway...

I know the superpremium ski isn't aimed anywhere near me but I also think the actual market is only a tiny prportion of those that can afford them.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's a good point @fatbob . I would be quite happy with mainstream Yamaha R1 or Suzukii GSXR, no need for a more exotic brand (even though more exotic racing only model like a HRC Honda RC213V-S V4 RCV :drool: is tempting).

Unfortunately they don't make FIS race skis designed to perform at race speeds, but not on prepared race courses. I like the performance I get from SL skis at SL speeds on hero snow (boot-out stops the fun on ice and they just don't do it for me in deep snow), and I like the feel of my old SG skis at speed, but they really are not the tool for soft snow, despite being the best available tool at the time for ludicrous speeds on the back side, and I did not mind at all paying a premium for it (it was not nearly as much as I spent on my boots or will spend on my next pair of boots:eek: ).

Maybe the main manufactures do make great skis for my particular all-mountain ski purpose, but I still haven't found any. I don't have the disposable cash to try a lot of skis, and reviews leave a lot to be desired; words like high speed and stable don't seem to have the same meaning to most reviewers as they do to me. It's pretty obvious comparing notes that some reviewers who state a ski is stable at high speeds did not ski that ski at high speeds, in fact, I doubt they have ever skied at high speeds. The physics of ski construction, however, is something I can grasp. For example layers of rubber running through the ski and a little extra total mass (like my old SGs) do give it a smooth stable feel, some tip rocker makes it more versatile in soft snow, mass distribution enhances responsiveness (as does a little less mass - compromise again), structural strength and rigidity enhances high-g performance. I admit it's a limited market, but it's still a market.

I don't mind paying a premium for performance, but it has to provide something in return. Paying twice the cost of the typical good all mountain ski in order to get the best all-mountain ski for your purposes is a bargain, compared to what you would need to get the same increase in performance in cars or motorbikes.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January