• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Blue Mountain Canada?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
So...why does someone from SF do research on Ontario/Quebec ski hills?

That had been my first question, but thought maybe family or work trip. But right now, neither are happening without it taking more than 2 weeks... An after the mess last week with 3 American employees that came in for 2 days....didn't quarantine because they said they didn't have too. That won't be happening again, no matter who you think you are...

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been a pass holder at both resorts, and this is not true. The Wall at HV is the steepest run between both resorts. Also, the Yodeller, Chute, and Eagle pods at HV offer much steeper terrain than Blue, save for a few runs off the North chair which would be comparable.

HV has much better variety, and better glades skiing. The average run at Blue is a bit longer, but given they are all kind of the same given they all run down the same long ridge. HV is made up of mini mountains with multiple faces and fall lines.

For good long cruiser runs in the Southern Ontario / Western NY area, I prefer Bristol Mountain. It's about 40min further from the border than HV, but skis like a Blue Mountain, if you chopped it in half, and put the one half on top of the other half.
Haven’t skied Bristol yet, swim schedule didn’t allow it, but it on the list to try.

I’ve skied both as well and can agree glads at HV are way better now, 30 years ago I would have said reverse. Blues Elevator Shaft and runs beside it far out rank anything HV has in steepness/length. What makes HV feel harder is the runs are narrower, Blues runs for the most part are Freeway like even El Moguls at Blue are almost non existent compared to many years ago. HV still has them.

Biggest thing I like about HV is it still has the ski hill feel and the town is a ski resort town, Blue is an artificially created ski town wanna be resort that has no charm and only exists to suck any money you have left. HV is an experience, Blue is a fake experience at best. Again this occurred about 20 years ago when the resort started to expand.

Pic’s of Blue at Night Jan 1/20 (Daughter and Nephew in Jpic) BFA72FD4-F38F-4959-9BB1-62080CB7BD70.jpeg 05F4F699-2028-4BF4-B2BA-924601BEBFF9.jpeg

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Haven’t skied Bristol yet, swim schedule didn’t allow it, but it on the list to try.

I’ve skied both as well and can agree glads at HV are way better now, 30 years ago I would have said reverse. Blues Elevator Shaft and runs beside it far out rank anything HV has in steepness/length. What makes HV feel harder is the runs are narrower, Blues runs for the most part are Freeway like even El Moguls at Blue are almost non existent compared to many years ago. HV still has them.

Biggest thing I like about HV is it still has the ski hill feel and the town is a ski resort town, Blue is an artificially created ski town wanna be resort that has no charm and only exists to suck any money you have left. HV is an experience, Blue is a fake experience at best. Again this occurred about 20 years ago when the resort started to expand.

Pic’s of Blue at Night Jan 1/20 (Daughter and Nephew in Jpic) View attachment 110501 View attachment 110502

My impressions are that the Wall would be steeper than elevator shaft... You're right that's it's not as long, but both aren't steep for very long... so I'd say it's a moot point. I didn't ski the North pod too much as I typically skied nights after work when I lived in Barrie. I live in Niagara now, and typically ski stateside.

I thought about getting a Blue pass this year with the border closure, but given I'm limited to weekends, I figure I'd rather drive to Quebec for just one weekend than ski a season of weekends at Blue Mountain.

Is there any other hill with a worse skier density? After skiing probably 20-25 resorts in Canada and the US I'd say nowhere else comes close.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
So...why does someone from SF do research on Ontario/Quebec ski hills?
I like to tell people that compared to the west, skiing in Ontario is like a different sport.

Sponsor

Staff online