• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Crossing fingers that it doesnt become a Yinzer Hill (7 Springs) wannabe. The only upgrade it needs is snow making. 2h and 10 from the house and if I am going skiing, that is where I am headed. Great price, little bling, one goes there to ski.

Yinzer Hill is Pitsburghese. Yinzer gowan skiin mup da Springs? Hows yinz gonna watch da Stiller game n'nat?

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Where is yinz frum n at? Yinz got ta come up ta Laurel Mountain. I've been the resident yinzer over on th ol Epic so's a bunch of folks here know bout Pittsburghese n at. Over ta Laurel we's already had a glade redd up day. Would yinz be interested? We's gonna redd up some more of the woods next month.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1295496307_pic3.jpg

YINZERFEST:rolleyes:

Use this link to get this thread translated into English: https://translate.google.com/

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Where is yinz frum n at? Yinz got ta come up ta Laurel Mountain. I've been the resident yinzer over on th ol Epic so's a bunch of folks here know bout Pittsburghese n at. Over ta Laurel we's already had a glade redd up day. Would yinz be interested? We's gonna redd up some more of the woods next month.
Muppear n Butler caanty blow 80. Laurel is bout da same miles as Yinzer Hill n Blue Naab from ear.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Buhler Cahny, yunz is jaggin' me! I'm frum dahnair n sathern Buhler Cahny just off 28 xpressway n at.
Naaw haint jaggin ya. Muppear bove dahntahn Buhler off 68 n'at aht in da cahntree.

Originally from NEPA that has its own versions to translate. My SIL had a HEAVY yinzer accent. I swear to God that the first time they were all together, (wife is part of a herd) she was talking to the wifes family and they were all nodding and agreeing. I thought, seriously thought, that she was a helmeted short bus rider because I had no idea that she was speaking a form of English.
I can be on 422 in under 10 and at the Portage Sheetz in a hour and 40 and in the parking lot of BK in 2 and 10. Half day at work and a 5 hour flex and I am good. I mapped out Laurel and have been to Yinzer hill in the summer and Hidden Valley with #1 spawn. Same distance +- a couple min, and for the price paying for 5, BK wins hands down. As a bonus, when we get snow, well, its BK.

TS
Laurel Hill Crazie

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Naaw haint jaggin ya. Muppear bove dahntahn Buhler off 68 n'at aht in da cahntree.

Originally from NEPA that has its own versions to translate. My SIL had a HEAVY yinzer accent. I swear to God that the first time they were all together, (wife is part of a herd) she was talking to the wifes family and they were all nodding and agreeing. I thought, seriously thought, that she was a helmeted short bus rider because I had no idea that she was speaking a form of English.
I can be on 422 in under 10 and at the Portage Sheetz in a hour and 40 and in the parking lot of BK in 2 and 10. Half day at work and a 5 hour flex and I am good. I mapped out Laurel and have been to Yinzer hill in the summer and Hidden Valley with #1 spawn. Same distance +- a couple min, and for the price paying for 5, BK wins hands down. As a bonus, when we get snow, well, its BK.

You have that phonetic spelling of Pittsburghese down pretty good. I have a hard time writing it as it sounds because I'm a native yinzer and, what do you mean when you say that o-u-t isn't pronounced aut or that g-e-t isn't pronounced git, I mean, git aut, that's what I said. didn't I? That and I owe my sentence structure more to my mother's influence than local dialect. She is German. English is her second language, self taught here. She did not approve the use of yinz or ain't, her way of acknowledging "proper english". I say, talk like were yinz is frum.

Well, BK might be a bargain if they're able to make snow. I don't think that Extrovert was opened often last season and I know it is seldom, if ever, open on day 1 of the season. Perhaps I'm mistaken on that but that was the impression I got from their trail reports which might not be fair given how often their reports are not updated. That 5 hour flex is only a few dollars less then Laurel's all day rate (open to close) and Laurel's twilight and night passes are a better bargain considering that Lower Wildcat will probably be open from day 1 again this season. When there is enough natural snow on both mountains, Laurel is the only other Western PA ski area that can compare.

I really like BK, always have. It has tremendous potential and I hope the new ownership group can achieve it. I just hope that BK's and Laurel's sucess doesn't come at the expense of the other.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Online purchase the 5 hr flex. If you hit it right, you can save a lot when taking 2-4 each trip before they had gear. I made it to BK last year only once when any black stuff was open, and it was icy as all get out. It was OK, though because I needed to play on the new skis I got, unfortunately, PA and east coast skiing sucked last year.

I will give Laurel a shot, I'm easy and cheap. BK works well because its about 1/2 way to meet a long time ski buddy, and I am all into no glitz. Hmm night skiing. Ok, you have the logistics running. Bet I can get my 2 colleg studants from New Ken to Laural....... map time....

BTW, while a 5 hr flex during peak times is close to Laurel, a M-Fri 5 hr flex is 30 bucks, which is a considerable savings when you are hauling spawns and or SWMBO. Bugging out of work at lunchtime with a discount 5 hr flex on a thurs is a good thing.

Just so you know, I saw 3 LARGE black butt hornet nests up high last week. They are preparing for something.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online