• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Blm Approves Silverton Heli Expansion

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn::drool:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:popcorn:
Mighty fine time for popcorn.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I wonder if many (any?) people other than the residents of Silverton and some core as-a-matter-of-principal environmental activists/groups are upset about this? Personally, I'm not particularly in favor of h/c skiing, but the basin around the ski area isn't in a designated wilderness area and has had the shit mined out of it.

I guess I'm just not familiar with any specific arguments against it, but I'd like to hear some. I'm going to have to cut a corner off my environmental activist card.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I guess I'm just not familiar with any specific arguments against it, but I'd like to hear some.

See, this makes heli skiing more accessible, so more people will become addicted to it. It's a gateway drug to heli skiing in the BC, Alaska ... pretty much everywhere.

How's that?

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I'll give this a nudge.

I wonder if many (any?) people other than the residents of Silverton and some core as-a-matter-of-principal environmental activists/groups are upset about this? Personally, I'm not particularly in favor of h/c skiing, but the basin around the ski area isn't in a designated wilderness area and has had the shit mined out of it.

I guess I'm just not familiar with any specific arguments against it, but I'd like to hear some. I'm going to have to cut a corner off my environmental activist card.

Well, all politics is local. ogsmile

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, not a whole lot of blowback on my post, but if you're still interested in the controversy, you can work your way through this somewhat long TGR thread about general Silverton controversies. There are some viewpoints that are very insightful among the expected profanity and some internet-type bullshit.
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/304333-WTF-Silverton

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think one of the biggest concerns is that they haven't said how they are going to conduct avalanche mitigation, how it will coexist with the local users (of whom there are many). They just keep saying, "Trust us, it will be fine," but they haven't shown any reason ever for the locals to trust them.

Sponsor