• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Rustler 9 - finding the right length

bbm

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm planning to demo the Blizzard Rustler 9 soon and trying to decide on the right length.

I'm 5'6", 155lbs, type 3/expert skier. Closer to home, I mostly ski groomers on a narrow waist full camber ski in a 167cm length. I see the Rustler 9 as a ski that'll be fun in trees and non groomers for trips up to Vermont and the like.

Given the rocker profile of the Rustler 9 I'm a little worried that the Rustler 9 in 172cm might feel too short, but also think that the 180cm could be too long for me.

I can't tell which one of these (172 too short vs 180 too long) is more likely to be correct.

For others who have skied the Rustler 9, would you recommend going with the 172 or the 180 in my situation?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
not sure on your situation but my son has these and they have a ton of Rocker, tip and tail. That usually makes a ski feel shorter than they are.

My son is 5'10 160 and he went with the 180. He loves them. biggest surprise for him is that they perform well on groomers actually.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
5' 7" 140lbs 172 is probably fine for your intended use. (If you were skiing western areas and this was going to be your big mountain ski, that might be different.)

bizarrefaith

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, same question on Rustler 9 length, similar intended uses - east coast, softer snow, off piste, tight trees, bumps, etc. I’m 5’10 190lbs, type 3, not looking to hit Mach looney - these will be used at average speeds with more finesse than power.
My wife got me 172s for my birthday- normally I’d ski around a 176, wondering if the 172s will work for me in the Rustler 9.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I faced the same issue with the Rustler 10, at same height / more weight than OP, and got the 172 with Pivots and the 180 for hybrid Duke PT resort/touring use.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I have the Rustler 9 in 180cm. I plan on selling them and getting the 188cm. (I’m 5’ 10” / 180lbs.) These skis ski much shorter because of the tip/tail rise, at least a size shorter than what I usually go for.

@bizarrefaith, they’re a fun ski, especially if you’re not looking to “hit Mach looney”. They carve reasonably well and slarve really well. For me, they're an easy-going, all-terrain, finesse type ski.

For reference these are the other skis currently in my quiver:

- Blizzard WRC (180cm)
- Stöckli AX (175cm)
- Stöckli Stormrider 88 (177cm)
- Stöckli Stormrider 95 (184cm)
- Stöckli Stormrider 107 (183cm)
- Kästle FX 95 Non HP (181cm)
- Blizzard Rustler 9 (180cm)
- Völkl One (186cm)
- K2 Catamaran (184cm)

Edit: @bizarrefaith, I would seriously consider sizing up to the 180cm if you typically ski skis in the 176cm size range. The Rustler 9s are not stiff skis and I found it easy to over power them and I'm much more of a finesse type skier.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi all, same question on Rustler 9 length, similar intended uses - east coast, softer snow, off piste, tight trees, bumps, etc. I’m 5’10 190lbs, type 3, not looking to hit Mach looney - these will be used at average speeds with more finesse than power.
My wife got me 172s for my birthday- normally I’d ski around a 176, wondering if the 172s will work for me in the Rustler 9.
Nope, can you return them and get the 180?

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Same height but lighter than you (160lbs) I went with the 180cm and they are fine. I also have a liberty v76 in 172 for reference. What skis did/do you have in 176cm?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
IMHO 180 cm would work much better for 190 lbs, and you might even want more, BUT being one length off is not a major catastrophe as far as skiing is concerned; I've demoed lots of skis that were too short and even own one pair that is too long - it's no big deal. Skiing the 172s might work better for your marriage. :huh:

Upsguys88

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m looking to buy one currently on sale, I’m 6ft 235, would I go with 180 or 188? Intermediate to advanced skill in California skiing.

Sponsor

Staff online