• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Patfish

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi!
I'am a quite good skier (36 years old, 6'2 , 172lbs) from austria and look for a good floating but also playfull/poppy ski for powder and little bit shorter turns in trees.

My preferens: 55% trees at midium speed (shorter and midium turns), 30% faster speed and bigger turns in open powder, 15% on soft pist.

Which Rustler 11 sould i buy? 188 or 192?

I know that the 192 will float a littlebit better and will be more stabel at speed ( speed is not so importend if i lose to much playfullness) but i'am a afraid it could be not as playfull and poppy as i would like it in the trees.

So which one could fit better to me?

regards,
pat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For your weight, the 188.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The 192cm Rustler 11 I demoed was fun but I would not call it playful even at my size (6-2, 185). Its versatile and stable though. It was not hard to ski but in tight spaces and bumps one has to work it. One thing of note is that the 192cm is also wider (116mm) compared to the other lengths which are 112mm wide. It was a bit too much ski for resort use IMHO. Its more of a big mountain ski for big vert, higher speeds and deep snow. Should excel in those conditions.

For tight trees I might even consider the 180cm length but definitely NOT the 192cm version.

TS
P

Patfish

Skier
My first real powder expiriance on that big skis was on the 195cm long and 132mm under Foot Völkl Kuro (2013).
I was impressed how maneuverable it was for its enormas size and weight - even in trees :D - thats the case why all my friends advice me the longer Rustler 11 - And I think i would handle the 192 quite well - but i'm not sure, if i would have so much fun with it, if its not as poppy and playfull as the shorter one.

I think 180cm would defently be to short for powder and my skills - and for pist days i have my loved Atomic Redster SL ;-)

As binding i chose the Look Pivot 14. Any better idea?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My first real powder expiriance on that big skis was on the 195cm long and 132mm under Foot Völkl Kuro (2013).
I was impressed how maneuverable it was for its enormas size and weight - even in trees :D - thats the case why all my friends advice me the longer Rustler 11 - And I think i would handle the 192 quite well - but i'm not sure, if i would have so much fun with it, if its not as poppy and playfull as the shorter one.

I think 180cm would defently be to short for powder and my skills - and for pist days i have my loved Atomic Redster SL ;-)

As binding i chose the Look Pivot 14. Any better idea?
The Rustler in a 192 will ski a longer than the 195 Kuro just because of the camber, I think the 188 would be money for you.

As far as the Pivot 14? Sure, especially if you are considering Gripwalk or WTR in the future. The 18 is always an option if you want total beef but will be limited to DIN or WTR (with proper AFD)

TS
P

Patfish

Skier
Thank you for your help!
Its very difficult to buy skis without having the chance to test it - i have ordered now the 188 version of the Rustler 11 :) and will give you feedback how they perform in the alps.

All the best!
Pat

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For your weight and the "55% short and medium turns" part of your post, I'd go 188.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I am glad you chose the 188cm. If it seems 'odd' that Blizzard sizing goes 172/180/188/192 it is because the 192 is an entirely different ski. It's the 'comp' ski, it isn't the 'fun and playful' ski the rest of the size run are.

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
YO
Thank you for your help!
Its very difficult to buy skis without having the chance to test it - i have ordered now the 188 version of the Rustler 11 :) and will give you feedback how they perform in the alps.

All the best!
Pat
You made the proper decision here, the 192 is a completely different ski from the 188, it loses almost any of its playfulness, I tried out the Rustler 11 in the 192 at Abasin and was disappointed by it. I toughed a day on them and the next time out I sized down and really liked the 188, I finally understood this ski. Now the reason why this all happened is because what Mike said, the 192 is a really different ski.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I demoed all three longer Rustler 11s (192, 188, 180) at a powder demo day here in Colorado (2" plus 12"), with the 192 out for close to 1st chair, unbroken tracks. Great ski.

I agree the 188 would probably work best for you for "playful" tight tree skiing, but I'm a lighter weight, older skier (150 lbs, 5'10"), so not sure.

I'd be happy on the 192 for fast glade skiing, but not tight trees - as a fun charger, forgiving in spite of its pro DNA. What @Mike Thomas said about the 192 makes sense, because it did feel different.

For me, the 180 was "playful," at my weight/height - playful and quick with less effort, a winner;

whereas for you, the 188 would probably reach that playful quality I got from the shorter ski.

Nonetheless, I really liked the 192 charger feel, even at my weight/height - more accessible and versatile than some other pro skis, even in mild bumps underneath the 12"+ powder: for some who want a fast, not so intimidating, powder/chop charger that's stable, turns well and is versatile. But in tight trees? Not sure.

Last edited:

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Im a bigger guy (6'2" 220lbs) and the Rustler 10 in a 188 is my daily driver for CO moving forward. I was thinking that getting the Rustler 11 would be a great choice for me if I was looking for just a tad more float but I want something just a little wider for deeper days. Should I go with the 188 or the 192?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Im a bigger guy (6'2" 220lbs) and the Rustler 10 in a 188 is my daily driver for CO moving forward. I was thinking that getting the Rustler 11 would be a great choice for me if I was looking for just a tad more float but I want something just a little wider for deeper days. Should I go with the 188 or the 192?
You should be golden with the 188

Sponsor