• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Peskywabbit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Anyone familiar with these skis and found a comparable replacement? Not so sure about the short radius or tail rise of the current Blizzards. I can compare specs but wondered if anyone had any real life experience. I realize the Magnum was not super popular on the west coast but its been my go to ski for almost 10 years. Just got some Brahmas and while they are ok, I think I want more front side orientation for current spring conditions.

Or maybe someone has a newish pair in 174 they want to get rid of..

Thanks, Greg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I loved that ski. It was one of the few skis that I purchased multiple pairs of. I remember the first time I saw, touched, flexed and smelled the ski, it was at the Trade fair back on New Jersey when i was still working at Wicks. I immediately thought, "This is the ski the AC50 wanted to be". I put my order in and got a pair for myself and fell in love with the ski. I had to stop letting my pair go out for demo because whenever I did, the person called me with a CC number and said, you are not getting these back, you might as well take my credit card number. This happened three times. The closed shape to this would be the Renoun Z90, upgrade to that and trust me, you will be happy.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the slightly newer Blizzard 8.5ti and have come to love them and wish I had a backup pair. 8.5ti leftovers are few and far between these days.

Following similar threads, it seems there isn't much love for the new Blizzard Quattro as a replacement. Is that perception correct? Should it be on the list for consideration, or are the others often mentioned that much better?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I also have the 8.5ti, rather than the 8.7ti. Love it and haven't found another like it. Versatile, a great carver, great in powder up to 10", shorter 174 fits in tight spaces but still has a 19+ radius. Just got the Brahma. Last year's, so it has longer radius that this year's. Went with 180 ( also radius about 19) and I think that makes up for its tip and tail. Also carves up ice, much nicer in moguls. My suggestion is, when comparing Brahma with the Magnum 8.5ti, size up.

For the Spring, I love the Bonafides, also last year's longer radius version. It slashes the slush.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Magnum 8.7 and 8.5 were completely different animals. IMHO, they were so different that Blizzard should have called them something different.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
I also loved the Magnum 8.7, and 8.1f or that matter, and would love to find something similar to fit in my quiver. @Philpug do you have any other skis that are now current that you would compare to the 8.7 besides the Renoun in the mid 80s width?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I also loved the Magnum 8.7, and 8.1f or that matter, and would love to find something similar to fit in my quiver. @Philpug do you have any other skis that are now current that you would compare to the 8.7 besides the Renoun in the mid 80s width?
The K2 Ikonic 84Ti and Volkl RTM 84 would be two other options that have a similar shape and both are drivers.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
2013-05-01 09.51.36.jpeg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
You could say I love the Blizzard skis from that era! But it is the Supersonic that won my heart. Still my favorite playful frontside carver.
All four of these are very different skis. The order on the wall is by design, from hard to softer snow usefulness. Four great skis :D

Blizzard Frontside.JPG

G-Force Supersonic 174cm
Magnum 8.1 MAX 179cm
Magnum 8.7 174cm
Magnum 8.0 ti 179cm

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@Bill Talbot I'm curious about your thinking switching between 174 and 179cm?

Well for the 8.0ti it's a no brainer because of the early rise of that ski. Those ski short. The Supersonic and 8.7 have no speed limit that I've ever found (but then I'm not a speed hound either) so the 174cm is perfect for me. With the 8.1 I was looking to maximize it's ungroomed potential (for a frontside ski) so I went to the 179 for a touch more float.
I'm 6' and 185# and am more on the finesse/technical side of the spectrum.

James

Out There
Instructor
You could say I love the Blizzard skis from that era! But it is the Supersonic that won my heart. Still my favorite playful frontside carver.
All four of these are very different skis. The order on the wall is by design, from hard to softer snow usefulness. Four great skis :D

View attachment 44074

G-Force Supersonic 174cm
Magnum 8.1 MAX 179cm
Magnum 8.7 174cm
Magnum 8.0 ti 179cm
Yeah then Blizzard went and pulled a Volkl. Ruined the skis with that tube construction they went to. Overly stiff and dead those next ones were. Bleh. At least they changed the names. Then came the early quattros. Yikes. I think they fixed that by remaking them.

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah then Blizzard went and pulled a Volkl. Ruined the skis with that tube construction they went to. Overly stiff and dead those next ones were. Bleh. At least they changed the names. Then came the early quattros. Yikes. I think they fixed that by remaking them.
When I bought my 8.7ti's in 2012, Blizzard was almost unknown in Australia. I took mine in to my local ski shop for a tune and wax in early 2013. The owner of the shop was somewhat surprised to see them, as he knew that no-one in Australia was selling them at the time. He had enjoyed skiing a pair of Bonafides in Japan the previous season and was familiar with the brand. He told me that he thought that Blizzard had recently employed a senior designer from Völkl, so I'm not surprised at the similarity between more recent Blizzards and Völkls.

I bought 2 pairs of Blizzards in 2012 actually. I'd had about 3 weeks on skis over 3 years and decided I wanted to stop renting gear. Weeks of internet research had led me to a shortlist of mid-70's waisted skis in mid-160's lengths. From the shortlist, the best deal by far (even with shipping to Australia) was a pair of Magnum 7.4 in 163cm from @SkiEssentials. So I bought them, then mentioned the purchase on another forum I was on. The herd there convinced me that the skis were too narrow, too short and too soft, so I then bought the 8.7ti's in 174cm from the UK. I ended up skiing them both for the next 5 years or so. The 7.4's are great fun when the groomers are perfect and I can avoid the crud at the sides. But when I need to blast through crud, slush, chopped-up afternoon pistes, or when there's a couple of inches of silky fresh, the ti's come into their own.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great skis. I gave mine to a young bike racing friend and team mate, and he still skis the crap out of them.

Modern day replacement? Maybe the new 2019 Monster 88?

Agree with @Bill Talbot on the Supersonics. I still enjoy mine a few days a year, even though my Titans are more versatile.

TS
P

Peskywabbit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
My first pair of 8.7 were the original black ones. I then picked up a pair of the green ones which I understand are the same ski with some tip rise. That was the first on piste ski I owned with tip rise and I became a believer on the first run. No downside that I could discern but the ability to smear and pivot increased dramatically. I literally became decent at fall line moguls because of the maneuverability of those skis. My black ones are torsionally shot and I only have the green ones now. I just picked up some Ikonic 84ti on a whim. The guys at Blister are raving about them and I found a pair for $539 with bindings.

James

Out There
Instructor
My first pair of 8.7 were the original black ones. I then picked up a pair of the green ones which I understand are the same ski with some tip rise. That was the first on piste ski I owned with tip rise and I became a believer on the first run. No downside that I could discern but the ability to smear and pivot increased dramatically. I literally became decent at fall line moguls because of the maneuverability of those skis. My black ones are torsionally shot and I only have the green ones now. I just picked up some Ikonic 84ti on a whim. The guys at Blister are raving about them and I found a pair for $539 with bindings.
That K2 Ikonic 84ti looks quite nice. Maybe a little too much rocjer for my taste, but I'd like to try it.

I think the ultimate iteration of the 8.7's were the Powers. Slathered with every gizmo they could think of. Carbon suspension rib, carbon reinforcement center strip, magnesium something, piston plate, iq system integrated binding, tip rocker. I think they made a short turner and a long turner. Maybe the short turners were G Power? This one is 19.5 m at 181cm.
Never bonded with this one and gave it away. I might try it again. It's not all that stiff but has the carbon rib for ultimate power.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That K2 Ikonic 84ti looks quite nice. Maybe a little too much rocjer for my taste, but I'd like to try it.
The rocker is minimal. I will have the new one at Mothers Day

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
How do they compare?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January