• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Brahma Next Step Down - 85-90mm?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Consensus seems to be that the Blizzard Brahma is the reference ski for it's waist width at 88 (maybe even Head Monster 88...or _____). What would be the next ski down from the Blizzard Brahma if you are looking for something less stiff and a little more forgiving...i.e. the easier ski less than 90mm without sacrificing too much? Flex, weight, length?

Blister Review stated in one of their articles, "While many advanced and expert skiers love the Brahma, we think it could also be a good option for heavier beginner skis. It’s surprisingly easy to slide around at lower speeds, and does better than most similarly narrow skis in rough, unsmooth snow."

Let's assume this is the 6'-2"+ 200lb plus group. What are the other skis to throw into the mix and sizing?

Blizzard Bushwacker 180cm

Liberty eVolv90 179cm

Head Monster 88 177cm

Head V10 177cm

All pretty easy to ski and capable.

The Head Monster 88's are the most refined / damp feeling on piste of the skis on this list and almost every other ski in its category. Are they the easiest to ski? In moguls probably not but at your weight they are pretty easy to ski no question.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The Rossi E88 felt a little more compliant than the Brahma and Kendo to me. The Kendo seemed a little less burly than the Brahma, but I was not testing on the proper size for me.
@Philpug, would the Navigator be a little underpowered, or do you think it might be money if sized up?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, would the Navigator be a little underpowered, or do you think it might be money if sized up?

When good skiers like @markojp and @Mike Thomas who are bigger than average give the Navigator 90 their endorsements, I think that says a lot about the ski.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Blizzard Bushwacker 180cm

Liberty eVolv90 179cm

Head Monster 88 177cm

Head V10 177cm

All pretty easy to ski and capable.

The Head Monster 88's are the most refined / damp feeling on piste of the skis on this list and almost every other ski in its category. Are they the easiest to ski? In moguls probably not but at your weight they are pretty easy to ski no question.

OP needs the 184 Monster if he goes that direction. IMHO though, his Brahma will be fine for his needs. If he wants a bit mellower 90'ish ski, the evolve (186), mindbender 90 (184?), or 185 Navigator 90.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
OP needs the 184 Monster if he goes that direction. IMHO though, his Brahma will be fine for his needs. If he wants a bit mellower 90'ish ski, the evolve (186), mindbender 90 (184?), or 185 Navigator 90.

I love my 184cm Monster 88's but I get that it might be too much ski for a lot of people.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
The OP isn't a small guy and he likes his 187 Brahmas....( still think he already owns the right 'travel' ski, but.... )

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
The OP isn't a small guy and he likes his 187 Brahmas....( still think he already owns the right 'travel' ski, but.... )
If your referring to my post...I’ve been on 180 Brahmas, not 187.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Softer, more tip rise.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Can you demo a Cassair 87 in the same layup? It should be quicker edge to edge, carve a little harder and be a little better for groomer play.

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Can you demo a Cassair 87 in the same layup? It should be quicker edge to edge, carve a little harder and be a little better for groomer play.

i will put it on my list, only concern is the lighter weight may equal less damp/stable?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
i will put it on my list, only concern is the lighter weight may equal less damp/stable?

I'd reach out to them directly or to your dealer/demo location with the question. My Cassair 82 isn't a noodle, I wouldn't expect the 87 to be. But given that skis like the RTM74 and RTM84 are completely different in flex, it's worth asking.

FWIW, my Cassair 82 with titanial prototype is the most versatile ski I own. I had a chance to buy the 87's and missed it, forever kicking myself for it.

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
I'd reach out to them directly or to your dealer/demo location with the question. My Cassair 82 isn't a noodle, I wouldn't expect the 87 to be. But given that skis like the RTM74 and RTM84 are completely different in flex, it's worth asking.

FWIW, my Cassair 82 with titanial prototype is the most versatile ski I own. I had a chance to buy the 87's and missed it, forever kicking myself for it.
So a prototype Cassiar 87 had some metal in it? Thanks for the input.

James

Out There
Instructor
I spent 5 days on the current Monster 88’s. 177, in Switzerland. Imo, Head has flailed at the front tip shape. It is way too piste oriented. The sidecut comes way up to the front. It’s not as bad as their Hammer Head tip, but it ain’t great. Why do such a thing? Just make the damn thing 2-3 cm longer and change the tip shape. Even Stockli, as carving oriented a company there is, doesn’t do that on their 88’s.

The Monster 88 just has too much resistance entering a turn in cutup pow. Love the tail and the overall composure of the ski. I suspect the 83 works much better with this design. I don’t think the side profile of the tip/front needs as broad a curve as some, say the Rossi Exp 88, but I’d love to see more taper to it in plan. If it loses some carving stability at speed, so what. Get a carving ski.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I spent 5 days on the current Monster 88’s. 177, in Switzerland. Imo, Head has flailed at the front tip shape. It is way too piste oriented. The sidecut comes way up to the front. It’s not as bad as their Hammer Head tip, but it ain’t great. Why do such a thing? Just make the damn thing 2-3 cm longer and change the tip shape. Even Stockli, as carving oriented a company there is, doesn’t do that on their 88’s.

The Monster 88 just has too much resistance entering a turn in cutup pow. Love the tail and the overall composure of the ski. I suspect the 83 works much better with this design. I don’t think the side profile of the tip/front needs as broad a curve as some, say the Rossi Exp 88, but I’d love to see more taper to it in plan. If it loses some carving stability at speed, so what. Get a carving ski.

The older models are money!

Sponsor

Staff online