• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Blister Summit and Crested Butte

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_1852.jpg

TLDR: The trip was fantastic! I wasn't planning on coming to next year's summit, but after experiencing it, there's a high probability I will. At the bottom of this post I have thoughts on the skis I tested, some with questions I would appreciate input on.

Thoughts on Crested Butte: I've heard it was steep, and yes, the steeps are no joke. The only double black trails I skied were Forest and Peel. Photo below of looking up Peel towards the bottom. It's a big mountain. Because I was changing skis a lot I ended up skiing the same runs often and didn't explore as much as I would have otherwise. If I had one complaint about the terrain, it would be the lack of intermediate moguls. They exist just hard to find. I thought I was a good mogul skier, but most moguls are big and steep and really put me in my place. Their shape is also more oblong than round.

IMG_1865.jpg

Thoughts on the available skis: There were a TON to choose from. Only once I think there was a ski I wanted that was out on the mountain. Because I'm a small guy, one complaint here is that I often had to size up. I would usually get mid 160s in length but had to opt for low 170s. Just a disadvantage of not being the norm. A few of the brands didn't bring groomer skis either. Again, not the average target audience.

Day 1: One of the reasons I wanted to go was to look for a replacement for my Kaestle MX74. Being the first day at elevation, I wanted to take it easy (writing this in my hotel room with spare time before my flight, it's still hard to breath), so I started with groomer skis. The day started sunny, and by early afternoon light snow started to fall. In the afternoon I joined a group to ski with (they organized groups twice a day). In this group I met Jonathan, Luke, David, Sascha, Wendy Fisher was part of this group too. She's an incredible skier, no surprise. Some of these groups had photographers, so I got to get photos of me skiing, which is great.

_02A7394.jpg
_02A7603.jpg

Day 2: Overcast, light snow, tested skis more in the all mountain category. Probably the worst part of the trip is the flat light. With our narrow trails in the north east that's rarely a problem. Here it definitely is. I got dizzy a couple times.

Day 3: POWDER DAY! 6-8" overnight. Not wanting to risk skiing something I didn't like, I got on the Volkl Blaze 106, which replaces the 100Eight, which I own. Joined the morning group on this day, again with a photographer. Kristin and Sascha were running this group, J Bob was there, and I think Mckenna Peterson. In both groups I joined there were probably other people of interest, but we didn't do formal introductions, so I don't know. Also found my favorite run on the mountain on this day. The Gully Glades, in the East River area. They're fairly steep and the trees are spaced apart quite well. The whole East River area is great. Because it's away from the front side, it gets less traffic, and held powder much longer.

230215__6619.jpg

Day 4: Final day, cold (but not by New England standards, dry air and sun made 10 degrees F quite comfortable), blue bird day. After "screwing around" with the powder, it was crunch time to test skis. Got on a few groomer skis, retrying a couple. Another goal I had was to test backcountry skis. My boots don't have tech inserts, so I had to test out a boot. To my surprise I found a K2 Mindbender 115 women's boot that fit my weird tiny feet quite well after putting in the heel lifts from my boots. This was also a BOA boot. I'm all in with BOA. The micro adjustment and feel of how the boot closes is incredible. The one concern I have is that, when loose, the wire goes under the lower buckle on the calf, so it could get pinched. But if you close the BOA before the buckle, no problem.

Panel Sessions: All were interesting. One each on skis, bindings (a lot of safety talk, or lack there of), and boots. One with athletes titled "Stories from the Field". Forrest Shearer was part of this one, never heard of him, but damn he's hilarious. Another that stands out was "Future of Snowsports". It wasn't so much about climate change, but more about inclusivity and getting more people into skiing. Another memorable one, which was marked TBD in the schedule, was about mountain towns. Housing, growing too fast, environmental concerns of too many people out in nature, really interesting. Jason Blevins was the moderator for this one. All sessions were recorded, I'm sure they'll be posted eventually.

All in all it was amazing. Can't recommend it enough. Here's a few other pictures.

IMG_1858.jpg
IMG_1869.jpg

It was hard to find a good spot for a photo of the butte. There's a good view from the base area, but with lifts in front. Wide angle lens makes it look much smaller than it is. There's a good closeup view of it near the top of the Silver Queen lift, but it's in shade all day.
IMG_1871.jpg

Here's all the skis I tested, with my thoughts, and some questions. These are mostly notes for myself than actual reviews. I'm 5'7" 135lbs, lean more towards finesse type of skier.

Groomers, in order of most favorite to least

Head Supershape e-Magnum 170
These rip on groomers, much easier than expected considering the weight. Fast, steep edge angles, short turns, GS turns, all excellent. Not punishing of going in the backseat either. Would shorter be easier to flex? I would normally ski a length around 163 for a ski like this, but the 170 felt pretty good. Honestly not sure which I would prefer. Pretty sure these are the ones I want to buy.

Rosi Forza 50 171
Comfortable on these, similar to the e-Magnum, maybe a touch harder to flex, shorter length probably better.

Renoun Atlas 80 163
163 is the right length, 170 was too slow. Good GS and SL turns, but not as “precise” as e-Magnum and Forza

Stockli Laser SC 163
A bit too much ski/too heavy. Hard to flex, had to rely on side cut to turn.

Volkl Deacon 80 172
Easier than expected. When skiing aggressively, would hook up at bottom half of turn (good) but felt the same on easier terrain as if they were skiing me instead of me skiing them. Shorter and skinnier better?

Fisher Curve GT RC4 175
Too stiff, couldn’t flex them

All mountain/powder

Renoun Earhart 163
I own these in the 170 length, love them for moguls, and took them out for the first group I went out with, wanting something I know well. Turned out that backfired on me, the tune was awful. Very hooky edges, they were constantly catching.

Folsom Spar 88 172, directional rocker
Felt dead/too damp at first, but once I got used to it they were great, maneuverable in easy variable snow.

Folsom Complete 100 174, every day rocker
Similar damp feel, a bit more difficult but good, lots of rocker.

Blizzard Rustler 9 174
Good, a bit heavy and a bit of a handful in moguls, shorter length would be better.

Salomon QST Lumen 168
A bit too heavy and hard to turn but not by much.

Volkl blaze 106 172
Just like 100eight. Tons of fun in any type of soft snow. Very maneuverable.

Moment Sierra 170
These surprised me, for how wide they are they hook up really well. A leaning carve not so much, but a bit of steering input and they hook up on the bottom half. Tried it on easy “ice”, don’t trust them very much. A bit slow to push around in moguls/trees.

Renoun Citadel 169
Can’t place what’s “wrong” with these, they were ok, Volkl 100Eight/Blaze 106 better.

4FRNT Switch 170
Good in trees and bumps, bad on groomers. I would tip them over, expecting them to turn, but they didn’t.

Backcountry

Majesty Superwolf Fiberglass 178 with ATK bindings
Felt great, similar to Salomon MTN Explore 95, went through soft chop very well, would shorter length still do this as well?

Blizzard Hustle 10 172 Kingpin bindings
Good, maybe a bit harder in moguls

DPS Pagoda 90 RP 171with ATK bindings
Did not like. Got thrown around a lot. Would not plow through soft chop.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice write up. Sounds like a really good event and that you had a great time. How many attendees overall? Was there any instruction in the groups or were the groups just like-abled skiers?

TS
nemesis256

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How many attendees overall?
I rode the chair with Kristin once, someone else asked that, and her answer was around 400. I suspect that includes the industry professionals. Each of the evening panel sessions seemed to have a little less than 100 people, so it seems the majority of people didn't attend them.

Was there any instruction in the groups or were the groups just like-abled skiers?
More towards the similar ability groups. They had designated meeting spots for different abilities: groomers, intermediate bumps and groomers, steeps/time to charge, there was also a women specific group. I don't know if they managed to fill them all every time, so it's possible they combined the groups sometimes. In the second group I joined, Sascha did provide some basic instruction on moguls, but I think it was mostly because someone asked for tips. She's a damn good mogul skier too. To my untrained eye she looked just like skiers in mogul competitions, just not quite at the ridiculous speed they do it.

Sponsor

Staff online