• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blister Gear podcast reviewing other gear reviews

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just listened to this a couple hours ago. Really love their podcasts.

There was one ski review (Elan Ripstick I think) they were talking about where I thought they were maybe talking about PugSki because the review was talking about comparing it to a Porsche. Phil often seems to make those comparisons, which always go over my head because I'm no car guy. Couldn't find the evidence that it was from PugSki in either case.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There was one ski review (Elan Ripstick I think) they were talking about where I thought they were maybe talking about PugSki because the review was talking about comparing it to a Porsche. Phil often seems to make those comparisons, which always go over my head because I'm no car guy. Couldn't find the evidence that it was from PugSki in either case.

I remember that comment - I really didn't think it was from Pugski as people who post about Porsches here tend to know what they're talking about and that review was, well, rather clueless.

The other reason I don't think it was from Pugski - it is just the sort of thing that can result when editors tighten up text. For print, for example, because space and readability constraints are stronger than accuracy of similes. Not 100% sure, but I get the feeling very little text on Pugski gets edited by multiple reviewers, and even less for space reasons.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Rustlers were definitely a comment from Freeskier. The one thing they don't discuss is the "pay to play" structure for the vast majority of reviews. Both the FCC (print media) and FTC (online content, social media) are pretty clear that any material compensation or benefits, financial or otherwise, needs to be disclosed. But as embedded advertising grows and everyone and their mother becomes an Insta influencer, enforcement is a joke.

It's not like sponsored content is a bad thing (I mean, OGL is probably the only truly independent review platform, where they select and buy all the items themselves, and you end up with the Icelantic Oracle 88 stacked against the Soul 7). But I definitely have a lot more trust in reviews from pages that disclose who their sponsors are and how their sponsorship works.

They're absolutely right that customers should be livid. There's a lot that could definitely be challenged as deceptive advertising.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting comment from the write up below the podcast: "And fair warning here, I get pretty fired up. Because there are still a lot of fake reviews and extremely misleading product reviews and product recommendation services out there, and this really needs to stop. Those review publications and review services need to do better, or we need to stop supporting them."

Not sure I can sit still for an hour and listen.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
@AmyPJ you can skip to about min 47 and then they go off on the fake review scourge. Worth a listen from there, the previous 45 min is answering Blister user questions about gear.

@David Chaus thanks for the share - I'd seen this podcast before in passing, never listened or subscribed - and I've done both now and appreciate it - excellent content. Love these guys' position on this stuff. Makes me trust them even more.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
His insights on curated.com are interesting for sure.

For the most part, I think Blister and Pugski have a mutual respect for each other, realizing that both of us pursue quality with completely different platforms and review practices.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After listening to the last half of it I started thinking....its just a couple of guys sitting around talking about skis, for an hour, albeit a very well thought rendition of guys sitting around talking about skis.
I wonder how a Pugski podcast would go if we turned on a mic during one of our tester weekends. :popcorn:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After listening to the last half of it I started thinking....its just a couple of guys sitting around talking about skis, for an hour, albeit a very well thought rendition of guys sitting around talking about skis.
I wonder how a Pugski podcast would go if we turned on a mic during one of our tester weekends. :popcorn:
That might depend on how much bourbon has been consumed...:beercheer::mojito:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Listening to the one about boots. You can recycle them if you remove the metal parts. Who knew?! I have several pair that I need to discard because even though they are not in bad shape, they have been canted so I can't sell them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Unfortately the magazine reviews are no longer relevant, regurgitated rhetoric and the ratings and awards correlate to the amount and size of the ads. I talked about this years ago in our "Is Print Dead" thread. As far as comparing the Elan to a Porsche, I know that wasn't me, the Porsche referance is reserved for Kastle ;). Yes, I use cars a lot because most people (sorry @nemesis256, I said most) because most people have driven multiple styles and segments to have a basic understanding. I cannot think of another product that is universally understood by everyone, if anyone can suggest one, I am all ears. But on that note, this is also why we have multiple reviewers with diverse backgrounds that can convey their experiences with a product.

I think we do a good job the way we review, not because it is the way we do it but that I have been told that numerous times by more than a few product managers. I will stand by not giving a star or numbers rating because that does a diservise to a ski, the manufacturer and retailer who is stocking that ski because when they tested it they knew that ski that got a lovely 3.83 rating from a magazine test knows that ski has a certain skier in mind and not the ex- college racer or PSIA level 12 Instructor cannot understand what a 10 day a year skier who skids his turns needs to get to the next level and that ski is exaclty the tool. I stand by our "Who is the ski for" and "Who it it not for" because knowing who a ski isn't for is just as important, if not more important than knowing who it is for. We are in the process of revamping our review process and one of the things are are addressing how we review. Here is a tidbit....

• We review skis for every ability level by skiers of that ability. Our reviews are done by skiers like you, intermediates, experts and even some masters racers. Our reviewers are not professional reviewers, and not skiers who are paid by brands.
  • Our reviews are independent, and do not mirror what the brands say about their product. We avoid regurgitating rhetoric or sales pitch buzzwords.
  • We do not rank skis with stars or numbers. A certain ski could deserve a 4.34 rating for a given skier, and be a solid 5 to a different skier, if it fits their needs.
  • While we have paid advertisers, we are clear with them that their reviews do not receive preferential treatment. All reviews are the independent thoughts of the reviewer.
  • You have direct access to the reviewers to ask them questions. We listen to you the reader, we value your opinion and respect that we might not always agree.
  • We believe that our unique review method allows the reader to discern what the best ski is for them.
  • Product for our reviews are sourced from industry and consumer ski demos, and from the Pugski Test Fleet. The Pugski Test Fleet is made up of skis provided by manufacturers that expect honest and balanced feedback on their product.
Blister does a good job with their reviews but they are not the way we review..or other online sites. I am glad they are standing by their methods.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^

Nice going, Phil. I couldn't even find a spot to insert any snark. :thumb:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

^^^ This, without a doubt, we'd win a grammy, The best part would be the discussions pertaining to ski's that were in need of a tune. (And I'm saying that very nicely)

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Phil lays out yet another reason I was very glad to stumble across PugSki. Between here, Blister and Ski Essentials (love their Chairlift chats) - that's all I need to feed my gear obsession.

Edit: just read the Is Print Dead? thread, adding RealSkiers to my list. Thanks @Philpug I needed something to enable my procrastination even more today ;)

Last edited: