• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black toenails from skiing - have you ever had them?

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
My experience would suggest that most people bruise their toenails as a result of pulling upwards with their big toe in an effort to get their hips somewhere closer to over their feet, if not ahead.

The second best way is to be in boots too big, especially too much instep clearance and the foot slides forward.

Big storm cycles are the most predictable, in the morning you sell them goggles, and in the afternoon you explain to them that their toes hurt because they were leaning back.

The response is generally along the lines of being exceptional skiers and that the boots have never done this before.

pliny the elder

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Big storm cycles are the most predictable, in the morning you sell them goggles, and in the afternoon you explain to them that their toes hurt because they were leaning back.

The response is generally along the lines of being exceptional skiers and that the boots have never done this before.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I stupidly dried my intuitions too close to the fireplace and was greeted with an extremely tight toebox. Since it was the last day of our trip in Utah, I powered through it, and rebaked them when I got home. Got two black toenails for my efforts.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My right big toenail would turn bruised/black every season thru my 1st 3 pairs of boots. No pain and the boots were professionally fit, just discolored. Last year I got new boots for the 1st time in 4 seasons and it never occurred. I’m not sure the whys or why nots. All my boots were fitted by the same bootfitter and all of them fit very well.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
55593558.jpg

From walking up and down hill in loosened ski boots.

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
My experience would suggest that most people bruise their toenails as a result of pulling upwards with their big toe in an effort to get their hips somewhere closer to over their feet, if not ahead.

The second best way is to be in boots too big, especially too much instep clearance and the foot slides forward.
This is EXACTLY what happened to me last year. The toenail is STILL growing back and I finally got my boots fitted so no more pain. I also learned to stay out of the back seat 99% of the time.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
This is EXACTLY what happened to me last year. The toenail is STILL growing back and I finally got my boots fitted so no more pain. I also learned to stay out of the back seat 99% of the time.

If you melt a hole in the nail after bruising it, it will relieve the pressure and usually save the nail.
Always a good idea to follow home surgery advice from the Interweb!

pliny the elder

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're learning one of the consequences of ill fitting boots, and some of us (you) are providing work arounds. Sounds like ski school practicals.
My boots fit really well. If I'm not jumping I generally don't get black toenails. The OP didn't qualify the question with any ski school related. In fact he just said, "Title says it all." @LiquidFeet what was the reason you started this thread now that there are a number of replies?

If you melt a hole in the nail after bruising it, it will relieve the pressure and usually save the nail.
Always a good idea to follow home surgery advice from the Interweb!
Technically, it's not a bruise. It's bleeding under the nail caused by trauma to the nail bed. Since there's very little space under the nail and the nail bed is highly innervated, the pressure caused by the blood in a confined space separates the nail from the nail bed and can cause a lot of pain. I don't recommend the nail melting method at home. The drill bit method is much more controlled and much less likely to cause injury. In the office we have a battery operated cautery that functions as a hot poker which quickly and easily melts through the nail. If you can't or don't want to do the drill bit, leave it to the professionals. It typically does provide pretty immediate relief. From my experience the best predictors of whether you'll lose the nail are size of the hematoma and location. The bigger it is and closer to the nail matrix/cuticle the higher the likelihood that the nail will come off whether its drained or not.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
I lost a toe nail last year. It was the result of ending up backseated in the bumps. It'll probably happen again but I'm working on getting better.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
m
My boots fit really well. If I'm not jumping I generally don't get black toenails. The OP didn't qualify the question with any ski school related. In fact he just said, "Title says it all." @LiquidFeet what was the reason you started this thread now that there are a number of replies?

-
IThat some causes appear technique related, i.e., "dolphin turns", "backseat in bumps', I'd say "Ski School" forum is appropriate enough.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
When I was using stock liners I would have a hard time getting buckle tension right; there was a fine line between "too loose" (i.e., toes would hurt from a slight fore/aft movement) and "too tight" (which would put my foot to sleep). I don't recall ever getting black toenails, but I'd definitely have bruised toes and other issues.

I haven't had any issues since going to foam liners.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So I have skied in cabrio forever and wonder if the mid buckle prevents this from happening...

again I literally cut my nails every other day because even a MM or two puts pressure on my big toe nail.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I lost toenails two years in a row while skiing a total of 14 days each season due to boots that were too short lasted and gave me zero room in the toebox.

DH has two permanently jacked up toenails on his big toe (one of them is essentially gone forever) due to skiing in race boots for a lot of years while teaching.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
again I literally cut my nails every other day because even a MM or two puts pressure on my big toe nail.

Don't forget the pressure can be vertical.

The only time I ever got black toenails was when I was using urban skates with anti-shock footboards. Skating on brick or concrete pavers, the footboards flexed so much that the rebound drove the toes up into the upper shell.

So I have skied in cabrio forever and wonder if the mid buckle prevents this from happening...

I always wondered why MacPhail never used a cabrio design for his birdcage ideas.