• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black toenails from skiing - have you ever had them?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
No. And the last time I felt any toe contact was the day I put zip fits in my old boots in '02.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Never and I wear boots one size too small

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
In days past black toenails meant time for new boots. Been over a decade since I have had one.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
No, I also trim my nails silly short.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
yes ... just the left big toe, and it’s usually from hiking.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes ... just the left big toe, and it’s usually from hiking.
Sounds like the odd kind of thing that would happen to me. Have to say I really was reluctant to answer because I got touring boots this year and didn't want to jinx myself ... now if it happens I'll balme it on you;)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vague memory of first too big ski boots and toe hang. Probably a figment.

Definite memories of toe bang hiking and, more recently, tennis shoes from last January.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes. Used to get them every year like clockwork. Got good at draining them. If you do it relatively quickly you can save the nail.

Then none for quite sometime. 10 + yrs. Got one last year, from.... unbuckled boot! Not quite enough toe room when unbuckled and the foot moves forward.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The first year I had these boots it wasn't quite black, but it was bruised-looking all season. Cleared up over the summer. I put the boots on the next season and instantly said this is nuts and took them in to get the toe blown out. I'd hoped that the liner would compress but ultimately that wasn't enough.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
lower two Buckles needed snugging up...

last time I do that, (But my present boots are pretty much "black toe" proof.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep especially if I'm stupid and I have a day which my skis are off the snow a lot. If landing even a little back, the big toes can slam up to the top of the boot and cause the dreaded subungual hematoma. Best way to treat it at home is to get the smallest drill but you can find, wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol and drill through the toenail by twisting the drill bit between your fingers and applying gentle downward pressure with the point of the bit on the toenail. It will slowly drill a hole in the toenail. You'll know you've gone far enough when the blood starts coming out. You'll know you've gone too far if it hurts like a SOB right after the blood starts coming out (which is really hard to do). Then gently put downward pressure around the hole with your fingers squeezing out the blood. It relief is pretty instantaneous. Some heat up a paper clip and melt through the toenail. In my professional opinion that is much less controlled and has a much higher chance of burning through the toenail too quickly and burning the nail bed underneath. Never been a fan of the hot paper clip method.

Not sure what black toenails has to do the ski school. That's a bit of a headscratcher.

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
My left foot is a half size longer than my right and my right is a half size wider than the left. I get a black nail on the left once or twice a year. Usually from doing something stupid early season...

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure what black toenails has to do the ski school. That's a bit of a headscratcher.
We're learning one of the consequences of ill fitting boots, and some of us (you) are providing work arounds. Sounds like ski school practicals.

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
Best way to treat it at home is to get the smallest drill but you can find, wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol and drill through the toenail by twisting the drill bit between your fingers and applying gentle downward pressure with the point of the bit on the toenail. It will slowly drill a hole in the toenail. You'll know you've gone far enough when the blood starts coming out. You'll know you've gone too far if it hurts like a SOB right after the blood starts coming out (which is really hard to do).
ewwww, I don't like SOB. I'm OK with being a sissy and will wait for the nail to fall off, but thank you for the tips.

Edit:
I should have named my account Black Nails, never thought about it until you mentioned. That's a great name.

Last edited:

Sponsor