• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Pearl 88 (2014 version) vs astral 88 vs Stormrider 85

Anne

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I demoed the Stormrider 85 yesterday and was not in love with it. I did not find it smooth at all and the tip was flapping. I felt that for the price it should not flap at all. I enjoyed the old black pearl a few years ago. I am interested in the Astral 88. Is it closer to the Stormrider in terms of stiffness or Black Pearl?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The tip will flap on either the BP or the Astral in certain conditions. A lot of skis with carbon just kind of do that. Neither will ski like the Stormrider.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You’re not supposed to look at the tips of your skis when you ski!

The tips of my SR 83’s vibrate on hard snow, but it doesn’t affect the ski’s performance.

The narrower SR series are lighter in weight (there’s fiberglass as well as metal in the ski). The wider Stormriders (95, 107j are much more damp.

For a nice combination of light weight, smoothness, and dampness, yet still a nice pop out of the turn, DPS’s Alchemist Cassiar skis are great (same genre as Stormrider 85, BP 88, etc).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mamie is usually on a pair of 85. Never seen the tips flap.

James

Out There
Instructor
Modern tips flap. Ie rockered, lightened, non massive camber. Let's not forget they're huge.
Kastle, Stockli, whatever.

One feels it. I agree, it's kind of annoying.
I have the SR 95 in 192. Unless you have massive edge angle, the tips flap at speed. But they don't really affect it, I think. I would prefer they shut up though.
You just have to shift to 5th gear and ignore. There's no way you could overpower the middle of that ski unless you're Ted Ligety.

Talking about making sure those tips don't flap... Have a look, and they certainly didn't flap before.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online