• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Diamond Mercury Mitten - Question

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ just got a pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mittens for Valentines Day, which we promptly took apart to see how the mitten liner and shell work together.
The liner is lobster claw style, while the outer shell is a regular mitten.
Can someone answer the question - Why is the liner lobster claw if the outer shell is regular mitten?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It might have been a mistake, but I do find that having the lobster claw even on one layer helps with dexterity.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It might have been a mistake, but I do find that having the lobster claw even on one layer helps with dexterity.
That's kind of what we were thinking. I'll test them out this week.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a pair of the men's version and they had Lobsters too. IMHO, it is for dextarity and versatility of the glove.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@AmyPJ just got a pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mittens for Valentines Day, which we promptly took apart to see how the mitten liner and shell work together.
The liner is lobster claw style, while the outer shell is a regular mitten.
Can someone answer the question - Why is the liner lobster claw if the outer shell is regular mitten?

I have those mitts and have been using them for years on cold days. They are super warm and the lobster claw liner does help dexterity since the exterior shell is pretty thin. Bomber mitts. Love em.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have those mitts and have been using them for years on cold days. They are super warm and the lobster claw liner does help dexterity since the exterior shell is pretty thin. Bomber mitts. Love em.
Sweet. I get ridiculously cold hands, even with Hestra lobster claws with handwarmers, so I'm excited to try these out as I do think they'll keep my hands toasty.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sweet. I get ridiculously cold hands, even with Hestra lobster claws with handwarmers, so I'm excited to try these out as I do think they'll keep my hands toasty.

One nice thing about lobster claws is that you can pull your index finger into the rest of the mitten to keep it warmer when you need to.

Sponsor

Staff online