• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Crows Orb 88 or Blizzard Brahma 88

Alumacraft3

Booting up
Skier
Looking for an all mountain ski that’s more geared for groomers. Want to use these on blues and blacks at higher speeds. Would either of these be a good choice? These won’t be my only skis. I already have an all mountain ski with a 96 waist and a 108 waist ski for powder days so looking for something narrower than what I have. I might try to demo this winter.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, to me, you are on the money. Either. Both.

The Orb a while ago (when stiffer), not in between (softer), and good the last two years, I believe (stiffer again). Wow. Maybe slightly softer flexing than the Brahma, and thus slightly more active carve/rebound. A ton of fun. Maybe very slightly more playful?

Brahma, not so much the new 20/21, to me. But good the last bunch of years. Just tops. Carves. Bumps.

My favorite two at close to that width that I've demoed.

I'd like to own them also. (They'd complement one another.)

If I had to choose, for me it's the Orb, here in Colorado. (Slightly more dramatic feel.) When icier, the Brahma? (Not sure - as yet.)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Last years and this years Orb is a touch softer tip/tail than the previous version but the bigger difference is the lowering of tip/tail taper for better edge grip on piste. More on piste biased now. Very similar shape and flex to the Brahma or Kendo 88 with the Kendo 88 being a bit heavier than the Orb and the Brahma heavier still with it’s 2 full sheets(2.5 in 2021) of metal.

The longer turning radius of the Orb sounds like it matches your skiing style as does the Kendo 88 that has the 3D radius giving you longer radius tip/tail and a tighter one underfoot.

I’d demo the Orb, Kendo 88(most forward mount similar to current Orb mount) and Brahma to see which one you like most but not a bad pick of the three for your needs. Last years Orb and Kendo 88 just have topsheet changes for this years versions so deals out there on remaining stock of last years.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What do you expect an 88 to do that your 96 doesn't? Then what will you use the 96 for that either of these 88's won't do? I'd consider looking a bit narrower...maybe Brahma 82, or something even more hard snow specific especially if these are going to be a mid west ski for you.

TS
A

Alumacraft3

Booting up
Skier
I want something dedicated to front side carving. My 96 skis work well in most conditions. I just want to expand and get something specifically for non powder days. I’m not opposed to something narrower than 88. I’ll look into the Brahma 82. They would be skied a little in the Midwest but mainly Colorado and Wyoming.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I want something dedicated to front side carving.
While both of these skis will work...but there are better choices...many better choices. Go to the Ski Selector and click 2021/Frontside/Mens and while you might get some 88's in there all of them are also more frontside oriented than your two original considerations.

Sponsor

Staff online