• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Bjorn Daehlie XC Kit

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was fortunate enough late last winter to be given the opportunity to test out a full XC ski kit from Bjorn Daehlie. Herewith some notes and pics.

jacket: Extend
pants: Ridge
baselayers: Airnet

What kind of skiing do I do? 95% of my nordic skiing is skating at groomed areas. Pineland, ME; Jackson, NH; Sugarloaf, ME; Craftsbury, VT; and Mont Ste. Anne, QC are where I ski most often.

What are the requirements for good nordic wear? First and foremost it has to be breathable. Second, it has to accommodate the basic movement patterns, which is to say a lot of movement! Third, it has to have a little wind resistance for those fast downhills on cold days. Fourth, it has to be lightweight.

I'll just say up front that this stuff is well thought out. The little details make it all work. Examples:

• huge mesh back panel on the jacket
  • cuffs that are comfy but not hot
  • supple, soft-textured fabrics
  • interior pocket that will hold a hat (first thing to be jettisoned after the first fifteen minutes)
  • not over-engineered (all that you need and nothing that you don't)

The most endearing feature on the jacket is the very cozy but very lightweight breathable hood that you can pop on when your ears get too cold. It doesn't get in the way and creates a relaxed hoodie look that is refreshingly casual in the sometimes-conceited world of "endurance athletes."

The pants have full-length side zips, which is nice if you are wearing them over tights and want to just whip them off without having to remove boots. They have the typical wind-resistant front fabric with a stretchier, more breathable back. Honestly they are not noticeably better than the competition (beyond the cut, which I love), but to my surprise this model is actually less expensive than some from those brands. It would be interesting to try one of the Daehlie pants that are more on a par with the superb jacket. The one thing I didn't like about the pants was that the snap at the top (hip end) of the zipper would occasionally pop open. I attribute this to the fact that they are a tad small for me.

The base layers are wool but so soft. Extremely breathable and very effective. If you have never tried fishnet, you should. There is hoo-ha in the instructions about washing them only in the special mesh bag they provide. Please. Ridiculous. I have a life to live. Unfortunately they are not "smart" wool; you do have to keep them out of the dryer. NOTE: Current website says they are 80% wool. Mine are labeled 100% wool. Maybe they are "smart" now.

I was told that the fit was comparable to other brands. In fact the Daehlie duds run smaller. My one regret with the whole experiment is that I ended up with size small. Mediums all around would have fit me much better, even though I go with small in Swix, Craft, and Salomon.

Pros:
  • great design and execution
  • looks good (subjective)
  • highly functional

Cons:
  • some items pricey
  • base layers are slightly high maintenance (but see NOTE, above, on fabric)
  • runs small

Who is it for? This is the Kästle / Stöckli of XC wear, for sure
Who is it not for? If you love the all-American freeride fit and think lycra is for sissies, stay away.
Insider tip: Size up!

skiing01.jpg

BaseBottom.jpg
BaseTop.jpg
NeckHood.jpg
Rear.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice!

I still have a Bjorn Daehlie jacket and pants that are about 15 years old.....still work great.

To me, this is the great thing about quality xc clothing. I've got favorite Craft and Koch (now Sporthill) stuff that is 15 years old, and still going strong.

Though I don't xc as much as I used to, I'm still putting in 15 days a season.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Started off my Nordic season today, at Bretton Woods, NH. Snow conditions were very good for early season. My condition, not so much.

IMG_7892-01.jpeg