• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bits of Epicski History

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I think they should have left the "do not adjust your computer" site under maintenance splash screen up when they closed it.

On the serious side, perhaps it would be cool if @jaques and Gas Man posted their fart bag collections in the retro gear threads.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Most of the URL's listed in this thread are still recoverable at archive.org. For example:
https://web.archive.org/web/2015101...om/t/64525/zipfit-vs-conformable-vs-intuition

Unfortunately this does not work: http://www.epicski.com/f/59/epicski-classic-threads

Also, unusually long threads have the same problem as some of the HTTracks downloads. archive.org may contain say the first 14 pages and the last page but not those in between.

I thought about archive.org because this week I wanted to show how Northstar used to have a daily snowfall tracker in its online snow report, but has not since 2015-16. And sure enough I found it: https://web.archive.org/web/20150408092952/http://www.northstarcalifornia.com/the-mountain/snowfall.aspx

At any rate, I believe the majority of Epic threads are recoverable at archive.org.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
How do you search the wayback machine?? Maybe it's just mobile, but it's a nightmare.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I think you need an old URL to input within archive.org. Once you have a page, clicking on links inside archive.org can take you to other pages. I wouldn't even think about trying to mess with this on a mobile device though.

BobRyan

Booting up
Skier
Epic bump.

Kicking Horse 2005 was as best I recall the result of a vote - or was it mere mention with a vote later? - at a Mexican restaurant on the outskirts of Jackson, WY, while Gathered there in '04. I recall SCSA (Paul) as having introduced the notion but I am old now and memory sometimes trips and stumbles.

At any rate, four people showed at Kicking Horse, said four being me ("ryan"), Spindrift, Bob the Builder (pretty sure that was his handle) and a friend of theirs. So, yeah, "poorly attended" for sure. Skied one day in crap conditions then those three left for Aspen. I flew home.

Highlight of the trip was seeing a Golden Eagle hovering above my lodging in Golden, B.C. and a some halfway decent photos I took.

Nice mountain-top restaurant.

One of my fondest Gathering memories is being (the least skilled skier) in a group following Bob Peters (lucky us) around Alta one bluebird day, splashing about in plenty of fresh.

Good times.

Bark bark.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
First western gathering I joined I think was
2008 Utah (I just happened to be there. Same for 3 previous Eastern ones at Blue Knob) Cirquerider was GM or asst GM. A lot of us stayed at Extended Stay America Suites in Midvale UT. A noteworthy event was my pos rental car ignition switch jammed in parking at top of Chickadee lift
across from Snowbird Security office.
I said screw this, called car company, let security handle it and I skied all day. A replacement car arrived at end of ski day & Cirquerider & I swapped my luggage between cars. Security had to block the Alta access rd while cars were switched.
4 years later I read small Pontiacs & Chevys were recalled for this exact problem. Crappy plastic parts in Ignition switch broke and jammed

A crazy thing just happened . I arrived in UT 2 days ago checking in at Hometown Studio’s by Red Roof in Taylorsville UT.
Heather at HS runs up and says” I remember you” from 2008 at ESA Midvale as I was Manager there 2004 to 2010 Talk about a photographic Memory !
( I did nothing noteworthy then -eg drunk or kicked out lol !) I’ve attended every western gathering since then except 2013 Big Sky. Sorry this is long.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My Snow.jpg

I miss Joan :-(

Sponsor