• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
They did it fairly openly as I have heard. People commented.

They absolutely did, which leads me to believe that the actual coaches or trainers working with him were not aware that it was an issue. Others may not have been visibly doing it, and certainly not those on the podium, but I would wager that at that altitude others were likely using it. Sort of stands to reason.

My opinion is that banning oxygen for alpine events perhaps should be revisited. I would wager that 99% of the TD's working domestic FIS races {which are "on the calendar"} have no idea that this is banned. Just saying........

Luitz skied a great race. I doubt if it was the oxygen.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I know in the Spruce Saddle Lodge an the Talon's Lodge which are both adjacent to the course sell bottles of oxygen.
Maybe someone got a hold of one and passed it around?

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
His appeal has been denied. Stefan Luitz remains disqualified with his GS win at Beaver Creek stripped.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/spor...world-cup-marcel-hirscher-spt-intl/index.html

Luitz, 26, beat the great Marcel Hirscher to victory in the giant slalom in Beaver Creek on December 2, but was later disqualified for breathing oxygen from a tank after topping the leaderboard with his first run.

Although the use of supplemental oxygen is not prohibited under World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) rules, the International Ski Federation (FIS) has banned "certain scientific and medical equipment" at its events.

An FIS appeal hearing found that Luitz "violated" the body's rules and confirmed his disqualification, as well as the loss of the 100 World Cup points, and reported prize money of 45,000 Swiss Francs ($46,000).​

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the International Ski Federation (FIS) has banned "certain scientific and medical equipment" at its events.
I guess, it boils down to this.
I hadn't thought of oxygen as a drug, but I guess it is "certain scientific and medical equipment".

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Terrible on both sides.

His final run was super-smooth exceptional skiing that was imo better than Hirscher's. But I don't really disagree with the ruling even though I don't have the impression Luitz was trying to cheat. Hate that it was his first win but he did use a performance enhancing chemical that was prohibited by rule.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hadn't thought of oxygen as a drug

I think that in the context of high-altitude competitive skiing it is a "drug" if by that you mean a performance enhancing chemical. What is a "drug" other than a molecule? We categorize them into good and bad but at the micro level they are all just chemicals.

Having said that I wouldn't ban oxygen. Let everyone use it if they want. ;)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rules are rules

If ya don’t like them... change them

Another win for MH
Absolutely.
Ignorance of the rules is not a viable case.
But, I had never thought of Oxygen as a drug until now.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
O2 does indeed supplement performance at altitude. Seriously, how could it not?? If a racer uses it (properly) to boost performance prior to a race, they'll have some degree of an edge over the other racers who follow the rules and don't huff O2. O2 supplementation can also be used to compensate for not training enough at higher altitudes.

If the rules are changed to allow pre-race O2 supplementation... well, I'm not sure folks here would like the results. Because all the racers would soon be marching around the staging/start area with O2 tanks & masks, pre-race. Also, if O2 is allowed, you'd probably see some other changes to the sport - like changes to training regimes. If I were a racer, I'd like that because cardio work is so danged boring.

Then there's the issue of parity. For example, which world cup record is more significant: one set before O2 was allowed or one set after? I know what my answer would be to this...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Does anyone still care about this race on the end of season? Well at least 2 guys do ;) CAS ruled out that Luitz is winner, which means first WC victory for Luitz, and Hirscher is back on "only" 67 victories.
LOL, BREATHING IS NOT A CRIME ;)

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
No its actually the only voluntary and involuntary action we have.

So if an one athlete is aerobically superior to another can the other athlete use Oxygen to level the field? Football players huff in between plays but its not against the rules.

As far as what Oxygen is considered

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2688103/

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone still care about this race on the end of season? Well at least 2 guys do ;) CAS ruled out that Luitz is winner, which means first WC victory for Luitz, and Hirscher is back on "only" 67 victories.
How often do you see a ruling like this overturned?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
How often do you see a ruling like this overturned?
Well this particular case... never before, as I don't remember anyone being "caught" using supplement oxygen and having victory taken away.
But otherwise CAS overruled several FIS, WADA or IOC decisions. Maybe, at least from my point of view most important (and most rightful) one was on FIS and IOC ban of Legkov.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Wasn't this a pretty simple call by CAS? As I understand it, FIS's own rulebook states that if there is a conflict between there rules in this area, and WADA's rules. WADA rules prevail. FIS prohibits the use of supplement oxygen, and WADA does NOT. Therefore Luits wins, as there is no WADA ban on oxygen.

First time for everything. Wonder what FIS does with this, at the congress? Do they lift the ban on oxygen, or do they re-write the lies to say that WADA prevails except in these.........

Have no opinion or idea one way or the other, but aligning with WADA would be a lot "cleaner", so to speak.

Sponsor

Staff online