• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binge Cooking?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every get in a mood where you cook the same think over and over for a while, not because of laziness but because it is soooo good...but hten not make it again for a year or so?. I find this happens from shopping at Costco or Sams club especially with food that is perishable, most recently has been spinach which comes in a huge bag and another thing that I wnt on a run with was fried oysters..Costco has oysters packed in 2lb containers for $12.00 while they are too big to eay raw, they make the msot amazing panko fried oysters. I had them for like 4 days in a row.

a8Y5LR4KQBCkekLLaNqHTA.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
dsc_0041-jpg.21263
I occasionally do oyster pancakes. I use the 4oz jars from the local Asian stores, but can also find them at mainstream.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been doing a white bean caprese salad loosely based off a recipe from Skinnytaste. Essentially it's a can of great northern beans, diced fresh mozzarella, halved cherry tomatoes, diced shallots or sweet onion, whatever herbs I have on hand, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and prepared pesto (I've been using Kirkland from Costco). Super easy and delicious, especially when it's hot out and I don't feel like cooking.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone want some blue catfish to binge cook with?

Absolutely no skill whatsoever needed to catch 'em, our creeks are chock full of 15lb 3 footers. The state wants us to take as many as we can. If you catch it, you are required by law to kill it. They eat well, too.

Fair warning tho: they stink to clean and they stink to cook, they will test your kitchen ventilation to the limit. If you have an open plan kitchen, you will smell them in your bedroom.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fair warning tho: they stink to clean and they stink to cook, they will test your kitchen ventilation to the limit. If you have an open plan kitchen, you will smell them in your bedroom.
Sign me up! :duck::duck:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If they're this way, they know all about 'em, but sure. Pick a tributary, any tributary with more than 4 feet of water in it, say Broad Run Creek just above Bles park.

Here's a shot I took from the bike trail bridge, 15 feet above the water, mid day:

19577237_10214144597149328_4287044746443394542_o.jpg

Doesn't look like much, does it?

There's about 40 of 'em down there:

19800625_10214144597189329_2184095034408715373_o.jpg

and on the other side of the bridge:

19780753_10214144597709342_6445324127249209804_o.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
With the heat, it has been cold chicken salad salad wraps. Blame Costco again, they have 2 lb packages of pre-cooked and chopped chicken breast for $6 or $7. Adding grapes pecans, celery, maybe apple, raisins or dried cherries mix it up mayo or aoly and dinner is ready. The leftovers are as good or better than the fresh, kind of like potato salad.

We have been here a couple of times a week this summer.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This time of year, anything with tomatoes or zucchini. Last night I made pizza woth sauteed zucchini, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and feta cheeses. Was supposed to have basil, too, but didn't have any. I used the pre-made Viccolo cornmeal crust I got at Trader Joes. Also eating lots of summer fruit, which I love!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I get into cooking ruts..wouldn't call it binge cooking..just kinda routine..don't have huge time to invent stuff. Fortunately the kid eats anything put in front of him that isn't a green leaf.. I was in a Moroccan chicken rut for a good 3 months..made that like weekly... I'm like my mom..spaghetti Monday, chicken Tuesday, mince and tatties Wednesday, fish Thursday, mince and tatties Friday, stovies on Saturday and ross biff on Sunday..repeat ad infinitum.. :roflmao:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The lack of collected mushroom posts in this thread makes me sad.
I have been making a Au Poivre sauce with Portobella mushrooms...and bourbon of late too, sooo good on a rib eye.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm still waiting for someone to teach me how to forage for mushrooms. Somehow book learning doesn't seems quite "enough" here.

You'll wait forever if you don't get after it - go for the easy ones like morels and chicken of the woods, join a forum/fb group, meet people who know more.

Last edited: