• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bindings Q: advantage to Look pivot heel ? any other makers ?

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
I've been skiing on Look Pivot10s for a while now, I got them because I like the idea of the heel pivot assisting in twisting releases (and because their reviews confirmed that they were a good choice - just read their history...).

I'm now looking at Atomic skis which have a plate (Redsters...) and shop informed me they will only work with particular bindings. (They also have some Rossi's with plates where I know I can get particular Look bindings, although I need to find out whether they'll take the current Pivots.)

Should I cling to the notion that the Look pivot heel is an advantage and let that guide my purchasing (so, won't buy Atomics because they won't accept the binding, etc.) ?

I ski with a DIN 6 setting and while I like to improve, neither my size (55yrs, 6'0", 170lbs) nor my skill level (stretching to become -all- mountain skilled...) will reach the place where I'm going to push a good binding to its envelope... Nevertheless, I'm all for not getting injured and if the pivot is a clear benefit there, I'd choose to give it first priority.

Last: does any binding except the Look Pivot series offer a true pivoting heelpiece ?

TIA!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love the Look Pivots...for freeskiing. Most race skis have plates that only work with a particular binding. Rossi (and Dynastar) plates will just work with just their SPX varations. I don't see a reason to base your race ski decision on putting on a Pivot. Rossignol abandoned Pivots on their race skis over a decade ago.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
The pivots have more elasticity than other bindings so are good for skis that will be used to ski variable terrain. They also have a low stack height. As a result, they are a great choice for free riding.

OTOH, other bindings are better oriented toward frontside riding.

Mike

TS
D

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
thanks all for your input, I ended up getting Head i-speeds, which give me PRD-12s, which say they have diagonal heel release. I am happy! (Had no clue that Tyrolia was so advanced - Austrian on mom's side and I remembered the more gemütlich approach to life in the South, and forgot they've been mining and working metal since Hallstatt...)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think the pivot is a good idea, so is Tyrolia's (and rebadged Head, Fischer, etc.) diagonal heel release.

Neither of which actually provide lateral release at the heel. Look's Pivot actually prevents any chance that your heel can move laterally during a twisting release. Tyrolia's diagonal heel release only is effective once the heel begins to release forward.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Neither of which actually provide lateral release at the heel. Look's Pivot actually prevents any chance that your heel can move laterally during a twisting release. Tyrolia's diagonal heel release only is effective once the heel begins to release forward.

Yep.

The Marker Kingpin is the only binding that has an alpine style heel that releases both laterally and vertically IIRC.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yep.

The Marker Kingpin is the only binding that has an alpine style heel that releases both laterally and vertically IIRC.

The Knee Binding does as well. The soon to be available Howell Ski Binding (from the designer of the Knee Binding) does as well.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I know. I still think it's a good idea.
The Tyrolia must have the heel moving away from the ski for the twisting diagonal release to happen. The pivot won't allow sideways release, but will make twisting out easier.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I know. I still think it's a good idea.
The Tyrolia must have the heel moving away from the ski for the twisting diagonal release to happen. The pivot won't allow sideways release, but will make twisting out easier.

Neither provide any realistic protection. The Pivot actually restricts the range of motion that the boot can experience in a release. The fact that it pivots doesn't improve the release as a traditional heel piece permits the boot to pivot at the heel without the turntable and side lugs that.

I'm being specific about this because I don't want people to think that the Pivot or diagonal release Tyrolia actually provide additional safety over other bindings. The elasticity of the Pivot heel does enhance retention.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

What’s your binding of choice Doug?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What’s your binding of choice Doug?

I ski KingPins for touring. I have a Salomon 914 and 916s on my race skis (circa 2002). Tyrolia Attacks are a favorite and I also have SPX Duals. I also have some Tyrolia Free Flex on a pair of skis that I liked but don't ski the ski much. Anyone looking for an Elan 777 in a 192 length (88 mm underfoot).

If I were to get a ski with a binding other than what I have listed, I'd be inclined to keep the bindings as long as they aren't worn and sloppy. I also have a pair of Knee Bindings and have placed a deposit on Howell Ski Bindings.

I particularly do not like the Pivot as I don't like how precise your heel has to be positioned to put it on, especially with grippy soles.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With my Pivot and SPX bindings, I run the DIN one lower than my skier code would indicate due to their higher elasticity.
Neither provide any realistic protection. The Pivot actually restricts the range of motion that the boot can experience in a release. The fact that it pivots doesn't improve the release as a traditional heel piece permits the boot to pivot at the heel without the turntable and side lugs that.

I'm being specific about this because I don't want people to think that the Pivot or diagonal release Tyrolia actually provide additional safety over other bindings. The elasticity of the Pivot heel does enhance retention.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Exactly, more elasticity.

All bindings are reasonably safe in a fall.. But some prerelease more, which is not so safe.