• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Brian Finch I was going to ask you! I thought you were already testing some Tyrolia's and mounting points? I was considering changing from my normal use of AAAttacks and trying the new Salomon S/Lab Shift. Otherswise it will be AAAttack2 16s GW.

Was the best mounting point ever figured out?

So much to unpack here!

Yes with the demo tracks, I was most comfortable at -3 to -3.5 cm. @Philpug has referenced -4 & -4.5 when comparing similar companies skis.

I’m calling it here now; the Shift binding with be An Epic Flop!!!

* due to poorly educated consumers taking big skis & skiing them inbounds lift served......

I like the Tyrolia clams, yet have Jesters, that have held up quite well on my other Renouns.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
* due to poorly educated consumers taking big skis & skiing them inbounds lift served......

Cody Townsend has put up a number of videos of him in Shifts skiing much harder than most any human will inbounds.

But no doubt there will be failures, just like every other first-gen pin binding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I see what you did there...or did I? But seriously to your point, many people will be using them in situations that they weren't designed for and IMHO much of the problems will be from One action...skiers cleaning the snow off of the bottom of their boots on the toe piece. The Shift just has too much going on in the toe for skiers to do this.
Cody Townsend has put up a number of videos of him in Shifts skiing much harder than most any human will inbounds.

But no doubt there will be failures, just like every other first-gen pin binding.
Yeah, that Rahlves guy too.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
skiers cleaning the snow off of the bottom of their boots on the toe piece. The Shift just has too much going on in the toe for skiers to do this.

This is why....Look needs to bring back the Pivot 15.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

The key word there is skiing.... just wait until a tourist leaves em on the outside ski rack 8 hours from the city, outside all season, skins East coast terra firma & rides em into the parking lot. :)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The key word there is skiing.... just wait until a tourist leaves em on the outside ski rack 8 hours from the city, outside all season, skins East coast terra firma & rides em into the parking lot. :)

Not sure what you are saying here? Do you expect them to corrode if left outside for too long? Will wiping them dry after use be important in your estimation?
One other question, have you skied a shift binding yet?

But seriously to your point, many people will be using them in situations that they weren't designed for and IMHO much of the problems will be from One action...skiers cleaning the snow off of the bottom of their boots on the toe piece. The Shift just has too much going on in the toe for skiers to do this.

Situations they weren't designed for? Will they use them water skiing? What situation in skiing weren't they designed for? I guess you could use the wrong ski boot with these bindings and cause issues. They are more complicated than a downhill only binding, so maybe not as "abuse tolerant".

On a personal note, I have a set on order, I plan to mount them on my water skis (just kidding) really on my 50/50 ski. I do have the habit of scraping the snow off the bottom of my boot on the toe piece before stepping in. Looking at the picture below I can see why that might not be such a good idea. Oh well, I will have to work on that habbit with this binding.

upload_2018-7-31_11-0-50.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
N
Situations they weren't designed for? Will they use them water skiing? What situation in skiing weren't they designed for? I guess you could use the wrong ski boot with these bindings and cause issues. They are more complicated than a downhill only binding, so maybe not as "abuse tolerant".
Purely as an inbounds binding but the main problem that will will come up is cleaning snow off of the bottom of the boot.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Purely as an inbounds binding but the main problem that will will come up is cleaning snow off of the bottom of the boot.
I'll be using mine purely as an inbounds binding...when I'm in inbounds. I'll also be using it as an 'inbounds' binding when I'm going downhill out of bounds. Otherwise I'll be using it as pin binding for uphill. Isn't that what it's designed for?

I will have to figure out how to scrape my boots differently...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll be using mine purely as an inbounds binding...when I'm in inbounds. I'll also be using it as an 'inbounds' binding when I'm going downhill out of bounds. Otherwise I'll be using it as pin binding for uphill. Isn't that what it's designed for?

I will have to figure out how to scrape my boots differently...
A good amount will never use it to go uphill.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

I wouldn't hesitate. I think they'll be fine. It'd be a great binding for many of the lighter, wider skis on the market that folks might tour in and use only on big days lift served a la a Kore 105, Tracer 108, Soul 7, etc... They skied very well on the new Bentchetler 100, but there ARE alot of moving parts. It'll be interesting to see what issues pop up. I'm guessing less than the Kingpin, but still more than on a standard alpine binding.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my tracking info yesterday as well... I am thinking attack 13 demo's. I have them on several other pairs and am quite happy.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has the optimal mounting point for these skis been determined yet? Where is everyone going to mount theirs?

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Glad to see Phil liked your -3.5. I'm thinking I will go with that.

I have done as much reading on the Shift bindings as I could find. Looks like … so far … the only identified anomaly is the brake releasing while skinning. Allegedly Salomon is looking at. Everybody does agree with the lots of moving parts. Couple of guys from Blister skied them a few days inbounds and said the AT function was about as good as the AAAtacks which is encouraging. Looks like I'm still leaning toward the Shift but not in a rush.

Getting the skis was an adventure. Was in Tahoe City and cut the stay short because my neighbor was also gone on vacation. Got back to CO in time only to have my skis ride around in the local Fedex truck for 3 days before they finally decided to actually deliver them.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Looking Warden13’s at the moment.

Sponsor

Staff online