• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I am trying to figure out what I want on my Nordica Navigator 85 being 135 lbs and a 6.5 din.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The usual suspects...

If you are a Salomon fan...
Sth2 13 WTR
If you are a Tyrolia fan...
Attack 13 GW
If you are a Look fan
Pivot 12 WTR or SPX12 WTR
If you are a Marker fan...
Griffon 13 ID

TS
M

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
Even though some of those start at 5 you would still go that route rather than a 11 din that started at 3?

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
The only one that starts at 5, which is fine BTW, is the STH2 13. Technically for the money I would not go with that one. a binding that has a DIN range that start at 3 or 4 or even 5 are fine. You do not need a binding with a high DIN range. In fact you could go with Attack 11 or 12, Look SPX 12, Salomon Z12, or plain Marker Griffon and they are all sub $200.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
A Solomon Z12 over a STH-2 13? Wow, that's an outlier of an opinion, IMO?

Agree it's all personal preference. Like skis.....plenty of great bindings.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even though some of those start at 5 you would still go that route rather than a 11 din that started at 3?

The only one that starts at 5, which is fine BTW, is the STH2 13. Technically for the money I would not go with that one. a binding that has a DIN range that start at 3 or 4 or even 5 are fine. You do not need a binding with a high DIN range. In fact you could go with Attack 11 or 12, Look SPX 12, Salomon Z12, or plain Marker Griffon and they are all sub $200.

When you are buying a better binding, you are not necessarily buying a bigger spring but a better housing. A better housing creates a better interface/coupling between the boot and the ski and thus will allow the ski to perform better. There is a good thread here about the shortcomings of the Z12...paging @KingGrump to the white (no offense) courtesy phone. Found it...Read this thread.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I said all I needed to say in the other thread. :cool:

It sucks no matter how you look at it.

TS
M

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I remembered reading about the Z 12......When i was at the shop earlier he was steering me towards a Look SPX 12. The ski's won't even be in until mid November.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had skis with Z12:s. Don't choose that binding if you have Sth2:s, Attacks, Spx:s or Griffons available.
Look SPX is a great binding. My daughter raced on Rossi the latest four years and we've had 10:s, 12:s and 15:s mounted on R21 plates. Never tried it directly on a ski (w/o plate).
Have Sth2 on my dd:s. Can't find anything wrong with them. Solid.
Recently bought Attack 13:s (on my daughters Kendos) and they seem to be great too.
Have experience from Tyrolias freeflex (race) bindings on plates (Fischer and Elan) and they're great.
Very little experience from Marker. Only the smaller ones, so can't say. But Griffon and Jester seems good.
I wouldn't worry about running a binding 1.5-2 up from the lowest DIN-setting. I'd worry more if the spring is near its max. You might be able to go down in size on some of the models and still get metal/same sturdiness in the construction. If memory serves me right the Look SPX 10 (we had the Rossi Axial) was a quality piece too.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
Is the Look Pivot worth the extra $ over the SPX

As an instructor, I hate my Pivots. They look cool, but they're a pain to take off and put on because the heel pieces like to spin around aimlessly when I kick them off. Also, I've found they're annoying to get on in deeper snow.

Buttttttt..... they look cool. So there's that!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Keep in mind, the Pivot was their race binding for years, and has remained popular with all sorts of freestyle and big mountain competitors forever. So, yes it has it's following.

Do I think it has some magic to it? No. Which is the P-18 priced as it is. Good all metal housing, single pivot toe....and people will pay that kind of money.

But many do think they are a pain in the neck.

I no longer have any pivots. If they do bring back the 15, I might be inclined to buy a pair or two. On a ski that i wanted to be close to the snow on, minimal weight and one that I might be fussy about flex on. I might. If it's a ski that I might take on and off more frequently. No chance.

I'd recommend that @Started at 53 try to look at bindings in shop {I know that's logistically tough} and see which he "likes." Very often it's "I like that clunk", or this seems more solid, or easier to get into and out of. Color, too!

Functionally, they all seem to perform. More money gets you more durability in some cases, bigger spring in others. But the heel of the pivots is different. Some love it. Others not so much.

Good post by Matt ^^^^^^.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I prefer to run a binding at the lower end of the Din range rather than the middle or top end. I find that, while the eventual release force is the same when you get to that point, running a bigger spring at the lower end of the range provides a better recentering force for those occasions when you are almost at the release point but it is recoverable whereas if you are running say at 11 on a 12 din you already have the spring more preloaded towards release. And no, i dont have the empirical evidence to support it, just personal testing and what I see happening with my athletes. Most of my race bindings are 18 or 20 max and run at 11 or 12

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid