• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
Hello.
Newbie here.
Just bought a pair of Stockli Laser ax 162 . I am 5"2 and 62 years young.
I was wondering if someone(s) would be kind enough to tell me what bindings to choose, and where to mount them:center/slighlty up front, etc.....
I always bought ski with bindings incorporated. Last skis were Progressor 9 .
I ski mostly east and Midwest(Michigan).
Thank you for reading.
FreddieG.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, given that the Laser AX is available with or without a system binding, I’m guessing you got them without the system binding. The system binding Stockli uses I believe is the Salomon Warden 13 Demo, labeled as Stockli’s XM 13 MNC . Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

The advantage of the Warden demo, or the Tyrolia Aattack 13 AT demo is that you can play with mount position; the ony disadvantage is they cost a little more than a regular binding. Unless you are picky about binding delta (the difference in stand height between the toe piece and the heel piece) I think most bindings should work fine.

Here’s a discussion of this very topic from last year, with a different length Laser AX.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/stockli-laser-ax-183-binding-and-mount-position.7490/

TS
F

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
Hello.
Thank you for all answers. After reading and doing some research, bought KNEE bindings, for safety purpose.
The troubling aspect is that some folks in other forums discussions mention that they mounted their binding 1 centimeter forward of the center on their skis , and it did help with their skiing.
What are the pros and cons? or is it a preference.
Thank you.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also went through the same scenario when I got mine. I like you probably over think it, I am sure they will ski fine on line. I opted to mount 1 cm forward after agonizing over it to long. I read of people mounting as much as 2.5 cm forward. I like mine where they are, but if you’re worried throw a demo binding on them and find the sweet spot and be sure to let us know.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
On my brand new (2018/19) AX's, I jumped into the stock system bindings positioned for the recommended center-line and found the ski to be perfectly balanced fore/aft.

My guess is that the people recommending that the bindings be shifted forward generally rely on riding the nose of their skis to make them turn, rather producing significant edge angles with ankle tipping, angulation, counter-rotation, upper/lower body separation, etc.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On my brand new (2018/19) AX's, I jumped into the stock system bindings positioned for the recommended center-line and found the ski to be perfectly balanced fore/aft.

My guess is that the people recommending that the bindings be shifted forward generally rely on riding the nose of their skis to make them turn, rather producing significant edge angles with ankle tipping, angulation, counter-rotation, upper/lower body separation, etc.

Nope. I think I explained this pretty well in my own posting above, but.....
As one of the folks who enjoy using demos and Schizos with not all but many skis, especially fat ones, it ain't that (what you said).
For example, I enjoy FIS GS 188/30s regularly also, among other, more purely traditional skis - skied at high angles, no problem. ( And I don't move that setting around, once settled on.)

I also enjoy multiple styles of skiing, sometimes on the same run. And I appreciate skis that respond well to multiple styles, especially with non-race skis, even more with fat skis. (For example, not a fan of skis that really want to be skied more upright only. Both forward and upright is better, more fun.)

What I experience is that with moving mount points, distinctly different ski qualities come out with many excellent skis, that are all a lot of fun, all "sweet spots" of some sort. (Some great skis, on the other hand, really prefer one mount setup more.) Oh, and I also enjoy the experimentation and discovery involved in skiing these different settings. It's like having an expanded quiver all in the same ski, no extra charge.

The AX Laser happens to be one ski that really has multiple sweet spots hidden in the same ski, found by simply moving an appropriate binding forward and back - easy with schizos or demos. (And I don't just leave the AX in the same forward position; I like the suggested line also, when I want the ski to feel a certain way. Also, it's fun to play in this way with muliple fore-aft positions with different lengths of the same ski. In this way, multiple lengths can become really fun for the same skier, just with different ride qualities, different favorite uses.
This sort of thing has a subjective element to it, no problem. Other skiers may prefer only one mount point setting with the AX. Or mounting it and forgetting about it. That's all fine too. This stuff we do is because it's a lot of fun, right?

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
For example: I acquired a pair of 177cm Head Monster 88s a few months ago, had them mounted with Attack 13 demos. First two days, on the line were...OK, but quite a lot of work and not entirely comfortable. Moved bindings 1cm forward and...magic! Felt "on" the ski, better balance and stability, finer control, faster into the turn, easier to release the tails in a few inches of chopped-up powder. It's all whatever works for you.