• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I have an SPX 12 Rockerace with an R22 plate incoming, for a Hero Elite Plus that came with an NX12 Konnect demo set. Will the skis have to be re-drilled, or will the R22 mounts line up with the Konnect holes?
I am pretty sure they are different holes.

Griselbrand

Booting up
Skier
Hey everyone, Utah born and raised skier stuck in the mid-atlantic now. Recently picked up a pair of Black Crows Artos to slay the ice and take runs at Snowshoe in about two carves. Had some Look Pivot GW 14 bindings installed. Posted a pic on another website and someone suggested that they need race plates. I've never skied on anything this skinny before so I hadn't even considered the possibility. Wanted to get a second opinion here as to whether these skis need race plates, and if so which ones would I get that would be compatible with the Look bindings? Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey everyone, Utah born and raised skier stuck in the mid-atlantic now. Recently picked up a pair of Black Crows Artos to slay the ice and take runs at Snowshoe in about two carves. Had some Look Pivot GW 14 bindings installed. Posted a pic on another website and someone suggested that they need race plates. I've never skied on anything this skinny before so I hadn't even considered the possibility. Wanted to get a second opinion here as to whether these skis need race plates, and if so which ones would I get that would be compatible with the Look bindings? Thanks!
Depends on what you want out of the ski. Just as a nice frontside ski, the Pivot is fine. If you want to turbo charge it for Nth degree high edge angle hard snow wave like performance? A plate? As far a Pivot compatible race plate, there is not one current but there are older ones from Rossi or Dynastar race plates. @ScotsSkier might have some.

Griselbrand

Booting up
Skier
Cheers, thanks for the response! I don't have any intention of doing any GS type skiing on these, I just wanted something to slay icy east coast groomers. So it sounds like I'll be good without the plates.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends on what you want out of the ski. Just as a nice frontside ski, the Pivot is fine. If you want to turbo charge it for Nth degree high edge angle hard snow wave like performance? A plate? As far a Pivot compatible race plate, there is not one current but there are older ones from Rossi or Dynastar race plates. @ScotsSkier might have some.
@Brian Finch has Rossi plates....he mentioned them to me for my Pivots on my new C98’s.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just bought another race ski (new 2018 193 Dynastar FIS GS Factory) and I am mounting them with the Look SPX 15 Rockerrace but wanted to check in on the toe and heel piece placement on the plate.

For the toe piece should I use the slot (circled in red on the photo) and align the binding so that I can see the range for my sole length? This looks correct based upon another pair of Dynastar FIS skis I have with the same plate and similar binding (think it is the SPX 15 Rockerflex).

For the heel piece should I be aligning the rear most screw holes with the sole length markings on the plate? Again that seems right based upon my other setup. Or do you use that middle hole (in yellow) similar to the way you align the to piece? Just put the tape on for reference.
6C636D56-5A7D-4219-B1D8-86E7C8760ED0.jpeg
CC47D83B-E212-44D8-B096-84E9FDFF7026.jpeg
308 sole length.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The middle hole on the heel piece has no meaning in binding placement. You align the binding holes in the plate holes that align with the desired BSL range. The correct strap connection holes can be determined by dry fitting; don't use screws, just place the binding on the plate so the binding holes line up to the plate. As the strap is designed to move the heel piece in the track, you may need to slide the heel piece in the track to get exact hole alignment.

The photo of the toe piece is confusing. My recollection is that the BSL range indicating the bindings range mounted on the ski is clearly visible, not partially obscured as in your photo. That may be due to the need to slide the heel piece in the heel track to get the proper alignment of the strap to the heel piece. A picture of the heel and toe not zoomed in may help clarify what we are seeing.

Frankly, I have to eyeball this every time I mount a set of these. Without the binding in my hands, I can not provide you with specific details. Here is a thread that addresses some aspects of mounting Rockerflex bindings: Difference between Rossi/Look Axial 3 and Rockerflex bindings

Here is an image stolen from newschoolers.com that indicates what the hole locations accommodate.

rockerflex mounting.jpeg

Getting the toe piece in the right set of holes is key to having the boot's center mark line up properly with the ski's mark. Once those holes are chosen, the rest become sort of obvious given that once the bindings are screwed in, you can adjust the forward pressure properly.

We are talking about equipment that can make or break your day. Sometimes it is worth it to go to a shop.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What Doug said x2! Looks like you are using the new Rockerace 2 piece binding without the connecting band which does make life easier . With the previous one with the metal connecting band it is critical that the band is lined up correctly to slot into the correct location pins in the toe piece base plate and also to engage the metal crescent piece on the bottom of the toe piece in the corresponding hole in the band. That is what holds the heel stack in position!!!!. It is easy to misalign this and it can look like it has been done correctly. If itthis happens then under pressure it breaks the plastic locating pin on the toe piece plate and the heel track slides loose....and you come out of the ski. You do not want to find this has out when you are going full blast in a Super G :(......thank god for B-netting!!!

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Mounting SPX 15 Rockerace Direct to Ski

I'm trying to get some clarity here. I have heard that it's OK to mount these directly to the ski. But I also hear that you should not mount Rockerace bindings directly to the ski as their forward pressure adjustment is designed specifically to be used on a free floating race plate. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming it is the new Rockerrace withoutbteh connecting bar, there is nn problem mountain g them direct. The earlier ones with the metal connecting bar were designed primarily for the 2 piece R21 plate. What might be more difficult will be finding a jig as they are normally mounted direct to the race plate and the heel piece configuration is different from the normal SPX

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mounting SPX 15 Rockerace Direct to Ski

I'm trying to get some clarity here. I have heard that it's OK to mount these directly to the ski. But I also hear that you should not mount Rockerace bindings directly to the ski as their forward pressure adjustment is designed specifically to be used on a free floating race plate. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.
You can but there are no brake option and you will be limited to skis less than 80mm.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Great. Yup, it's a 78mm. Problem is hole conflicts with STH2 at the same BSL.
I may have missed if or where you indicated what ski this was for, but is it the Rossignol Hero Elite Plus [78mm underfoot]?

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
A Pivot 14 toe will work on a R22 plate...a heel, not so much.
If I do it, it will be a clashing combo of white/blue/green 14 toes and black/red RR SPX 15 heels. All on a faux wood veneer top sheet. Will probably get me kicked off the mountain.