• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
When will FIS compliant KneeBindings be coming out? Don't need any more knee surgeries around here. Or fewer anyway.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What upsets me is the pivots in the Rossi version allowed for a lower DIN setting than the PX's, secondly the PX18 are a lot heavier then the PX15 mainly in the heel section. I'd gladly step down to a PX14 or maybe a PX12 if the toe was same as the 15's, however, since it's not nope it ain't gonna happen.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When will FIS compliant KneeBindings be coming out? Don't need any more knee surgeries around here. Or fewer anyway.

Don't think that's ever going to happen as the brain child (RH) behind the binding has left the company.

The interesting thing is RH has been on about retention as the driving force on bindings and not release. In simple terms just enough retention not to cause injury yet enough to retention so you can power through it. Very interest and knowledgable man to speak with and very passionate about bindings and their function.

Looking forward to see his new binding and where it goes.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What upsets me is the pivots in the Rossi version allowed for a lower DIN setting than the PX's, secondly the PX18 are a lot heavier then the PX15 mainly in the heel section. I'd gladly step down to a PX14 or maybe a PX12 if the toe was same as the 15's, however, since it's not nope it ain't gonna happen.

It's hard to make them heavier than Pivots. Must have taken some doing.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's hard to make them heavier than Pivots. Must have taken some doing.
PX18 Rockerflex is over 1000G more than a Pivot 18 and still about 600G less than a non WC PX18. Plus you have a much lower rotation weight and shorter mount distance.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is the Salomon Warden 11 MNC or just for alpine boots?

smoothrides

Delivering Speed
Skier
Industry Insider
Get them tuned, out of the box, most tunes are inconsistant. Like with most things, all tunes/shops are not created equal. @Bobalooski. @WadeHoliday @Alexzn and myself have had great success with Skis & More in Truckee (who is in between locations at this point) and the other is @smoothrides who is also in Truckee. As far as mounting, I don't think either of these will/can mount.

Thanks for the plug Phil. I do mount and test bindings, race plates, etc. I have almost all the jigs, a Wintersteiger binding tester and a VT tester. Ive been mounting bindings professionally for almost 20 years, and I personally do all the work.

I also offer overnight tuning with free pickup and delivery, so you never have to miss a ski day.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the plug Phil. I do mount and test bindings, race plates, etc. I have almost all the jigs, a Wintersteiger binding tester and a VT tester. Ive been mounting bindings professionally for almost 20 years, and I personally do all the work.

I also offer overnight tuning with free pickup and delivery, so you never have to miss a ski day.
I wasn't sure if you could. That is really good to know. We should also have lunch one day.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question for experts (@Philpug among others) - what unit does the DIN actually represent? Is there a direct conversion between DIN and, say, newtons?

If you look on a binding chart, no where does it say DIN. the setting is a release value. What I correlated is the amount on Nm it takes for a binding to release and that is based upon the amoutn of force that is needed for the toe and heel to release. With that said there is also an acceptable range for that binding to fucntion in. So day your Skier Code is an L and your setting is a 6.5 and it takes 67Nm of torque for the toe to release and that 67Nm actually falls within acceptable range and could be an 8 setting on the Skier Code of M. Thus another area not to get hung up on the numbers.

chart2.gif

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
phil. perhaps a future article
hopefully before you can break down the top popular binding choices and the pros/cons of each if they are eiffetent or if they are the same . Or in other words who is each binding best for/or what skitype and ski day is each binding for

I know there are many bindings, but you can just cover the top 10 most popular bindings and we'd get the idea (i.e. what we could walk into most ski shops and theyd have the jig and be familar and capable of mounting. (e.g griffon, sth2, pivot, axial3)

or if its more apt to organize by ski usage, then perhaps identify the different ski usages and pick what are the goto bindings for each usage.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2nd question. what's your take on mounting using the ball of foot method. i.e. short bsls should be scooted forward a cm so ball of foot gets to the same designated sweet spot as an average bsl skier.

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_2257.JPG

Howell WC 888 Racing
$1,200, pre order for $840
Din 6-26, titanium housing.
Oct. 2018

"Lite. Super-Strong. Titanium housings.Formula-1 valve springs. Max setting — DIN 26.This is The Real Deal. "

CAUTION: FOR RACERS AND EXTREME SKIERS ONLY.

https://howellskibindings.com/products/howell-888-wc-racing

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
phil. perhaps a future article
hopefully before you can break down the top popular binding choices and the pros/cons of each if they are eiffetent or if they are the same . Or in other words who is each binding best for/or what skitype and ski day is each binding for

I know there are many bindings, but you can just cover the top 10 most popular bindings and we'd get the idea (i.e. what we could walk into most ski shops and theyd have the jig and be familar and capable of mounting. (e.g griffon, sth2, pivot, axial3)

or if its more apt to organize by ski usage, then perhaps identify the different ski usages and pick what are the goto bindings for each usage.
I actually have The Numbers Game Bindings Pt 2. mostly done where it helps how to choose a binding. That will be for the fall, stay tuned there. What you are asking for is kind of a flow chart, let me play with it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 24800
Howell WC 888 Racing
$1,200, pre order for $840
Din 6-26, titanium housing.
Oct. 2018

"Lite. Super-Strong. Titanium housings.Formula-1 valve springs. Max setting — DIN 26.This is The Real Deal. "

CAUTION: FOR RACERS AND EXTREME SKIERS ONLY.

https://howellskibindings.com/products/howell-888-wc-racing

Then it is a matter of getting in the Alpine Pool which costs a manufacturer thou$ands. They will need to decide if it is worth it. When some racers are still skiing Atomic 1018's and Marker M20.0's, we know that change is slow when it comes to race bindings and confidence is king. Racers would rather risk a knee than a chance at the podium.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, here comes some more newbie questions :yahoo:

I will be on a 77-80 waisted ski, only skiing groomers. I am a "Level 4-5" skier, 190#'s and 6'3". My biggest challenge at this point is keeping my shins against my boots. I am sure this will be better by mid-season 17-18 though

So, let me ask a few questions:

1) Do I want a high delta, or a flatter binding?

2) I see some bindings position the boot a lot higher above the ski than others, I would think that this makes for a much more responsive ski to a smaller motion. Would that be correct?

3) I still have to get my boots (will do so in the fall), is there a benefit to the WTR? I think there are 3 different types of soles, do all bindings accept the WTR should I go that route?

I am sure I will have more questions, but that is it for now

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just wanted to say thanks for a great thread so far!

I just bought my first pair of skis (nordica santa ana 93, 169cm) and bindings (look pivot 12) a few weeks ago, after renting/leasing for the season. For future purchases, what are some top features or characteristics I should look for in a binding? Or is that too person specific, kinda like ski choices?

Sponsor

Staff online