• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Q: How much clearance do you adjust to between AFD and boot? When doing a ”business card” test, does the card move easily in between, with a little resistance or does it (almost) get stuck?
Bindings I have is Tyrolia Atack 13 and Sollie STH2.

It should not really move easily....and definitely not get stuck. It should have a slight drag/resistance as you pull it out.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
question
Tyrolia AA Attack 14 AT bindings? Are the mounting templates (Screw holes) the same as the Attack 13?

There is a video on line that shows mounting in less than 5 minutes. That would be nice ;-)
All of the Attacks have the same hole patterns.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’ve got some “WTR” frame touring clamps- forgotten & now found, will they work with GripWalk??

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Second binding question of the day - with GripWalk seeming to "stall out" on FreeRide skis, should I go back to a DIN boot for my SL skis & carvers?:doh:

What say you @ScotsSkier @Muleski @Philpug

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the day, someone showed me that you should be able to intentionally twist out of your bindings to check that they are releasing. Something I would do from time to time.
Is this still a thing? I tried with my new skis/bindings and it wasn't happening. But then again, I didn't apply a lot of torsion cause me knees are older and creakier.

Marker MXCell 12.0 Tcx set to DIN 5.5
64 yo male, 6' 175 lbs intermediate.

Thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in the day, someone showed me that you should be able to intentionally twist out of your bindings to check that they are releasing. Something I would do from time to time.
Is this still a thing? I tried with my new skis/bindings and it wasn't happening. But then again, I didn't apply a lot of torsion cause me knees are older and creakier.

Thanks!
I've never heard of or done that. To me it's not a thing, but I don't have as much experience as a lot of people here (though I did start skiing, infrequently, about 30 years ago).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Thanks!
We used to do that. The problem with the test is that if they are loose enough to deliberately twist out of them, they may not be providing sufficient tension. Conversely, if you can't twist out of them, you may hurt yourself. Hence the Vermont Calibrator and other release testing systems that shops use.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Thanks!
Yes, that was a thing back in the day. We have better test today, you might as well take advantage of them.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We used to do that. The problem with the test is that if they are loose enough to deliberately twist out of them, they may not be providing sufficient tension. Conversely, if you can't twist out of them, you may hurt yourself. Hence the Vermont Calibrator and other release testing systems that shops use.

Should one have them tested periodically? Once a year, beginning of season?

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Forward pressure question - Tyrolia Attack 12 GW

Last year I purchased the white Tyrolia Attack 12 GW online. When I was in NH last year, I had them mounted on my new (never mounted) Elan Ripstick 94W using my Nordica Promachine boot 295mm BSL, I do not have the Gripwalk soles on them. I never visually checked the forward pressure setting.

Today I brought them into a shop in Maine to have them adjusted for my Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 293mm BSL, Gripwalk soles. I was told there were loose binding screws, and the DINs on each ski were different; loved hearing that. When he initially visually set the forward pressure (3 lines showing) they failed the machine test (had me at a 67 which he said would basically never release). He had to back out the forward pressure so all 6 lines are showing and then it passed. He said I was fine since I wasn't past a certain mark on the forward pressure bar. I went and skied but have been thinking about this ever since.

Should I suspect a bad mount? The binding is a GW binding so I don't understand why a boot that is 2mm shorter with a GW sole would be a game changer. Perhaps it wasn't a game changer and was like that when it was set for my Promachine boots too.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
DIN settings can be set differently and still be the right settings. The shop calibrates the binding to the forces indicated by your required setting. That you are a '6', lets say, on the chart doesn't mean your bindings will release at the appropriate force when set to 6.

That said, rather than reduce forward pressure to get the correct release values, the DIN setting should be changed. Only after all possible DIN changes have been made should forward pressure be considered to help the binding release in the proper range. He is right about the forward pressure marks, although in the middle of the range is what I strive for.

Loose screws are never good and if they were loose the shop may have neglected to glue the screws when they were mounted. Glue also seals the binding holes to prevent moisture from potentially damaging the ski.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
DIN settings can be set differently and still be the right settings. The shop calibrates the binding to the forces indicated by your required setting. That you are a '6', lets say, on the chart doesn't mean your bindings will release at the appropriate force when set to 6.

That said, rather than reduce forward pressure to get the correct release values, the DIN setting should be changed. Only after all possible DIN changes have been made should forward pressure be considered to help the binding release in the proper range. He is right about the forward pressure marks, although in the middle of the range is what I strive for.

Loose screws are never good and if they were loose the shop may have neglected to glue the screws when they were mounted. Glue also seals the binding holes to prevent moisture from potentially damaging the ski.
Given that one ski had one DIN and the other ski had a different DIN and the binding screws were loose, and as such likely not glued, and the forward pressure is now set unlike my two other pairs of skis with Tyrolia Attack 12 or Attack 13 bindings, should the mount position be questioned?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Given that one ski had one DIN and the other ski had a different DIN and the binding screws were loose, and as such likely not glued, and the forward pressure is now set unlike my two other pairs of skis with Tyrolia Attack 12 or Attack 13 bindings, should the mount position be questioned?
If the mount was that shoddy, everything should be questioned.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
If the mount was that shoddy, everything should be questioned.
I know, right? My post was so I could get feedback regarding the mount position. Seemed to me like everything was pointing at a shoddy mount, but although the shop that worked on them today said the screws were loose and should have been glued, they didn't mention a potential mount position issue, and did not seem worried that the forward pressure is backed-out to 6 to pass the machine release test. They tightened the screws, but did not glue. I left going hmmm and then couldn't shake that.

Sponsor

Staff online