• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Appreciate the info!
Last question: is the difference between the Attack's 17 mm stand height and the Griffon's 24 mm height trivial, or would that actually be noiceable on a 94 mm wide ski?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Appreciate the info!
Last question: is the difference between the Attack's 17 mm stand height and the Griffon's 24 mm height trivial, or would that actually be noiceable on a 94 mm wide ski?
You are fine with the Griffon.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I won't argue the point because I know plenty of people swear by them. I just swear at them. They are admittedly an elegant system. I would (and do) ski an N17 and Nevada on any vintage ski as they work well at release and retention.

I'll admit a part of my dislike is from servicing Pivots. I won't go into the details unless asked.

Gravity, non-level surfaces, loose snow and pivoting heels. Ugh. I don't like finicky bindings. I don't ski Royal bindings anymore either.
You just ruled out half the bindings out there... What do you trust?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You just ruled out half the bindings out there... What do you trust?
I really only have strong feelings about Pivots. SPX fine. Tyrolia is great. Marker Royal, meh. The rest of Marker, fine. Salomon, no problem.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Forward pressure is not bad to set but a nuisance to do. The bars that hold the heel to the pivot plate frequently interfere with stepping into the binding. Particularly with grip walk soles. Depending on how you have to set the bars for proper adjustment to the boot length, the bars will pinch the heel of the boot. Generally, the solution is to shave off a bit of the boot heel so that it doesn't impinge. Replacing a broken brake is also somewhat problematic in that you have to unmount and disassemble the heel. I've seen more pivot plates break than physical failures in any other binding. Mounting the heels requires you to forcefully push the brake closed while driving the rear screws.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I was just wondering, are there any modern or new bindings that still use a three hole toe mounting configuration?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was just wondering, are there any modern or new bindings that still use a three hole toe mounting configuration?
Marker and Salomon race bindings which coincidently are the exact same pattern.

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
With Look pivots is there broad agreement as to the minimum and maximum width of ski that the 75mm brake width and the 95 mm brake width can each accomodate.
When considering the Kastle MX83 ski it was suggested the 75mm brake would work. No ski has been bought yet but i am interested to pick up a set of Pivots however only the 95mm brake and wider is available to me currently
As these brakes do not 'tuck away' i need some guidance

Sponsor

Staff online