• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding recommendation for old skis

thebonafortuna

Booting up
Skier
Hi folks,

TL/DR: seeking recommendation for cheap bindings for old skis

After getting back into skiing a couple years ago, I ended last season in a fair bit of pain and realized my trusty ski boots were 20+ years old(!). I went into this season knowing I needed new boots: what I didn't realize was that bindings reach an age where they function fine, but ski shops won't work on them. After trying on 15-20 pairs of boots at three different shops, I found a great pair of boots but didn't have a way to connect them to my old skis, as nobody would mount them to old bindings.

So I had a decision to make: buy new bindings for old skis from 2003, buy a whole new set, or start doing rentals. I decided to take the plunge and buy a whole new set. And I'm happy with how everything performs!

But I'm also teaching my young daughter how to ski this year, and it's doing a fair bit of damage to the tops of my new skis as I guide her down the mountain. I'd like to find a set of bindings I can mount on my old skis, to have them around as a backup and to use when teaching my children.

The skis:
Dynastar agyl 8 (in great shape)
68mm waist

I'm open to buying used, I'm open to buying new, but I don't want to spend a ton for what is effectively a backup pair of skis. I like to purchase in person when possible to support local shops, but in this case I'm definitely open to buying online. I'd also like to purchase soon and not wait for end of season.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: I'll add that until this year, I didn't know a thing about ski equipment and didn't realize brakes were a thing on bindings or that you had to measure bindings to ski waist...hence why I'm not comfortable doing the research and purchasing entirely on my own. Learning a lot but would appreciate any guidance from the experts! Thanks in advance.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Call around your area in March, some place has to have something they can get on your ski for $100 or so.

TS
thebonafortuna

thebonafortuna

Booting up
Skier
Call around your area in March, some place has to have something they can get on your ski for $100 or so.
What's the general rule on sizing the brakes? From the research I've done, it doesn't seem like many (any?) options exist for full size skis with a 68mm waist. I've read you can go up 15mm at most, is that accurate? Any drawbacks?